USB GDrom Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by nonosto, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

Edit: Never mind. I think my switch is bad. If I hold it a little to one side, it works but sometimes it gives no continuity on the multimeter. Managed to get it to work once but giving it a little nudge to the side =(

Edit2: I managed to open the switch and clean it with isopropanol (IPA). Works like a charm now! Made a little instruction.
    [​IMG]

http://www.grandis.nu/images/DreamCast_CD_Switch_Clean.jpg

Edit3: I'd still like someone to verify that D2 works. As soon as I get to the "Insert disk 4" screen, if I press B, I can get back to the main menu (abort). But if I open the lid and let it switch to disk 4, it just hangs and I can not use B to get back anymore.
    --

Could someone verify D2 (USA version) for me please?

I just got my new batch of USB-GDROMs with the new firmware.
    I load up D2 Disk4 with X and it verifies by saying "Image for swap: D2 (US) - (Disk 4 of 4).gdi".
    I run D2 Disk1 and select "Opening Movie".
    It asks me to insert disk 4. I open the lid and close it but nothing happens.

I've also tried without the lid. Queue disk 4, hold switch down, load disk 1. Wait for it to ask for disk 4, release switch and push it again. Nothing happens.

I've verified the lid and my soldering with a multimeter.

I know the switch works because if I open the lid while its showing the little intro from disk1, it hangs and jumps back to the DC menu, as it should, had I opened the lid.

Do you have to do something for it to detect a diskchange in D2 or should it just continue automatically?

Any other games that are good to test with, IE that wants another disk fairly soon?

Thanks

So apparently there are two types of switches (at least). Here is how to clean the other type.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
    nonosto likes this.
  2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I will try this tonight. I just got my GD_DEBUG file back from MNEMO today.

I just put the new GD DEBUG file on and its not work. Out of the 5 GDIs I tried they all get stuck at the swirl logo at startup. Not sure whats going, hopefully MNEMO has a fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Bro, I think you should make a post about this. I would hope Assembler would sticky it. Try to make a post about all your fix's. I am pretty damn sure this will help somebody else out with the same problem.

4. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

There seems to be an issue still, I recreated your problem with D2 and I also tried it booting from disc 4 then start game, open lid to swap to disc 1 and nothing happens.

I can confirm the swap works because if you soft reset by pressing all joypad buttons at the same time, go back to bios then go to music player you can see that the disc is the one it should be (disc 1, similarly for disc 4).

EDIT: also I had no problems running the versions of Vanishing Point you mentioned, I'm using a PAL Dreamcast with a flashed NTSC-J bios

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. Turranius

Turranius Site Supporter 2015

Thanks. I'll inform MNEMO I guess =)

6. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Tested on 3 different USB devices.

Edit:
    I removed the video until I can test something, it would seem the NTSC version doesn't work with GDEMU either, only thing I can think of is I have a PAL unit with a hacked bios or stock PAL bios.

Anyone got an NTSC-J or US bios I can test?

Mnemo & Meringues are both running an NTSC-J bios & the game works for them.

Update:
    I give up, flashed the wrong bios to my DC & now I think it's a dud :mad:, it's a pre flashed bios soldered directly to the board.
    (Think I flashed a v2 DC bios to a v1 DC ahhhh Dreamshell need to organize there files better)

Ok second update :/
    I got the NTSC versions of Vanishing Point to load, the issue is, if the region isn't NTSC it won't go past the Accessing Data screen, so it must have some protection that's stopping it. UGC region free mode doesn't work, nor does a region free bios.

What I done is on my stock DC I changed the region to NTSC (12v wire hack) & that's how it works :-/

So what works for me & what doesn't.

WORKING
    Bios = PAL v1 bios
    Region = NTSC

NOT WORKING
    Bios = Japanese-Cake v1.030 or link83 bios
    Region = PAL

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    keropi likes this.
  7. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Some of question maybe stupid:

- is it possible to use extract file from .gdi (extract with gdi explorer) and run the executable (like on xbox)
    - could we use virtual memory (USB) like internal HDD for Xbox, to improve Ram avalable for Naomi game work?

8. Meringues

Yeah, I used the the 12v wire hack to flash mine to NTSC-J using the region changing disc image on mmmonkey's website

9. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

Thanks for getting to the bottom of the issue Rocky5!
    I have replaced my bios chip completely with the region-free/dev one, so it's VP PAL for me :D

10. Rocky5

The region info is stored on the flash chip, just above the bios, the reason I don't change all my DC's to NTSC (love the Orange/red spiral) is the last two I done got the black swirl & were goosed :( not sure why it happened but I don't do the region change anymore.
    (The DC I used to test the region is my old DC, since I bricked my new one flashing a fecking v2 bios to it :mad:, different GDRom interface. Dreamshell should bloody folderize these bios, for console versions)

Update to the issue list.

Also since the latest update, truncated GDI images now work :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  11. 1magus

1magus Active Member

Has anyone made an up to date review of this device?

12. Rocky5

Yeah lol, not the greatest video mind, I want to redo it, mainly because it's crap but also due to me saying you can have 10 swap images, you can't :/ you can have 6.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    eim88 and nonosto like this.
  13. sean697

sean697 Active Member

I am going to try and buy one of these

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/dreamcast-usb.html

Didn't want to mess with my good dreamcast so I just bought a used one on eBay that has a non working gd rom drive to mod with this.

A couple of questions. As far as images. I never did burn ISO's for dreamcast before because Im kind of a perfectionist and didn't want to play compressed versions. I want the real deal which this device seems to offer.

So are .gdi images generally the 100 percent accurate rips of the games? Or .cdi images. Or does that not really tell me anything? What is the best way to get full unadulterated game rips? I have the BB adapter. Would it be easier to rip my own discs to get everything ? Or just download them them? And just want to verify, I currently use a game shark I believe to play other region games. So woth this I won't need to anymore? Can just load any region (I'm guessing answer is yes)? Also so to use the disc swap function, I need to actually solder a switch for that purpose? (Again shouldn't be an issue just want to know ahead of time so I can plan something more elegant then reusing a switch or having wires outside my console.)

14. Meringues

GDI images are 100% rips of the games, the device is region free so you can play any region game, you need to solder the lid switch if you want to use the disc swap function, if you are not bothered about that then its just as simple as taking out the GD-ROM and dropping in the device in its place, no wires or soldering required, and you can even get a version that doesn't require altering your Dreamcast case for the USB port.

15. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

They only have 30 of the ver. 4's to be ordered. After those are gone, it's all ver. 5 (where the USB stick goes inside). I have the ver. 4, but I also put the resistor on the PSU, which I don't think SAG are providing.

16. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Did you leave VPP (the +12V line) connected? That seems to have a tendency to trash the region data eventually. My theory is that when the BIOS does a garbage collection in the flash it just does a chip erase because it assumes that the data that's supposed to be read-only is hardware write protected.

17. Rocky5

N
    Nup, it happened on two systems, I would connect the wire, load the disc & then select the appropriate settings & then flash, then I would select read & it had zeroed all settings :-/ nothing would work after that.

So I no longer do it.

18. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Really, really off topic, but I couldn't find a thread for mnemo's USB 3DO adapter, so I thought I'd ask here-- anyone know what the latest firmware was for that? Really wish he'd host that on the page too.

19. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Strange - I've region changed quite a few systems and the only one I had that went to the black swirl was some time later when I had left the wire connected. In that case, the chip wasn't electrically damaged, since I could reprogram it in an external programmer after desoldering the chip from the board, and everything was back to normal after I reinstalled it. Even when it was giving the black swirl, you should be able to get it to boot by going into the setup screen and setting the clock back as far as it can go (I have no idea why this works...).

20. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I updated my firmware on V.4 and it worked fine and quick. Tested the Toe Jam & Earl III cdi dump, which worked. Is there still no way to get out of a game, and back to the main menu?