USB adapter for Willem Parallel port EPROM programmer

Discussion in 'Game Development General Discussion' started by dragonstrap, Oct 4, 2013.

1. dragonstrap

dragonstrap Spirited Member

I'm planning to buy a WILLEM "swiss army knife" type EPROM programmer which uses a parallel port.
    I have some old computers with a parallel port, but out of convenience I'd like to be able to use USB.

I have heard that straight adapters often fail to support direct IO over LPT and won't work (except for serial printers etc).
    Here's one that I'm hoping *will* work, but I was hoping someone could let me know if it's likely to cause any problems or have any suggestions.

usb to parallel.jpg

Responses will be greatly appreciated,
    thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Why would you buy a parallel port Willem programmer? Those things are old and outdated. You get much better programmers nowadays for less money.

My guess is you are following an old tutorial written 10 years ago and they recommend a parallel port Willem there?

3. smf

smf mamedev

It's very unlikely you'll ever get it to work. I've never heard of a usb parallel port that emulates a standard parallel port & that one specifically says it uses no I/O address. So none of the willem software out there will work with it, you're going to have to write your own or hack someone elses. You might get lucky and find hardware that is good enough to use, or again you might have to make your own.

Alternatively there is

http://www.mcumall.com/

4. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Old? yes. outdated? maybe, USB is cool but .... better programmers for less money, No way, where can I get one ?
    Realy, where do I get a Programmer with a ZIF40 to programm my beloved 27F020 or other eproms, USB and less than 70?
    I mean, I already got 2 Willemprogrammers, and wishing that one for USB and same or cheaper price existed. Please enlight me :D

5. splith

splith Resolute Member

No USB-LPT port will work, you can get PCI-LPT converters that will work if they are supported properly, I got one off ebay, it's the same chipset on a bunch of card that can support 4 COM ports and 2 LPT ports (so you see cards with 1 LPT port, 4 COM ports, 1 LPT and 2 COM ports, etc.).

6. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

I got this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lowe...ogrammer-for-Windows7-Vista-Xp/620137253.html

It's US $41.50 shipped. Has USB and a very nice programming application. Works under Windows 8.1 x64. It's very well build and supports 13143 devices. Even Atmega's and PIC's.
    If it has all the ones you need you can find out here: http://pastebin.com/dWMSCfh0

7. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

USB,programm 27F020 or other eproms,less than $70.....
    Seems I should sell usb programmers in this forum.....
    :D

8. smf

smf mamedev

eevblog reviewd it, I already had a true usb so I never tried one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLG03f_ua5g

9. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Yes thats exactly the one I got. So far I programmed 27C801 and 29F032, PIC16F630 and ATMega328 without any problems. For the 29F032 I had to build a little adapter.
    [​IMG]

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I still can't get that bloody setup to work. No SNES repros for me until my GQ-4X cooperates.

11. dragonstrap

Thanks to everyone for the responses; they've been most useful.
    Correct ;)

I'm looking to making Famicom/NES cartridges, and eventually might look into SNES, MegaDrive, and Master System.
    Would the USB device you suggest would work for this?

From your earlier post it seems for SNES you'll need a custom made adapter, would the required EPROMS for the other consoles' cartridges that I mentioned be supported without any adapter?

Also - your link with the supported chips mentions 2 models; the TL866CS and the TL866A, with only the latter supporting ICSP. Is this something I would have to be concerned with?

12. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

You only need the adapter for 40 pin TSOP flashroms not for eproms. You would also need such an adapter for the Willem, the only difference is that for the Willem people already designed adapter pcb's you can order, so you don't have to build one yourself.

You don't need ICSP. It's for programming in system. Like when you build a circuit with an Atmega and want to program it without removing the Atmega from what ever you soldered it into. So no need for that in our case.

As for compatibility you need to see what Eproms are used in the NES, Megadrive etc. tutorials and then search for them here: http://pastebin.com/dWMSCfh0
    For example I quickly googled for an NES repro tutorial and it stated that it uses 27C256 and 27C512 eproms. I found both in the pastebin so they are supported by the MiniPro.

13. dragonstrap

I came across adapters for the TL866CS too, they're all over ebay. At least 8 different ones that I've noticed so far.
    Thanks for your help sanni (and others).

14. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Sweet, Thank you guys. I always saw the more expensive ones but this one looks promising.

15. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Just wanted to throw it out there that there are more desktop motherboards that have serial and parallel on them than you think - they just often aren't on the back of the motherboard. They often have headers for LPT and COM on the motherboard which you need an adapter to mount it to a slot.

Like this:
    [​IMG]
    (COM and LPT are pictured above)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014