Upgrading Fighting Mania to Punch Mania 2?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by neo_razor, Jun 21, 2008.

1. neo_razor

neo_razor Member

Hi,

After many years of wanting one I've finally closed a deal to get my own Konami Fighting Mania cab. I'm well into my games and I love Hokuto no Ken so this was always going to be the dream arcade machine for me.

I've been playing it solidly since it was delivered last Thursday and although I'm nowhere near finishing it on the harder difficulties I have been looking into how easy it would be to upgrade it to the Punch Mania 2 sequel. So far all I've learn is the following:

Fighting Mania was the European and American release of the game but in Japan it was called Punch Mania: Hokuto no Ken. Japan also got a sequel/upgrade; Punch Mania Hokuto no Ken 2: Gekito Shura no Kuni Hen which had all the paths from the original game plus 6 new ones. Also, Fighting Mania runs on Konami's System 573 hardware.

Basically, I'm just trying to see if anyone can advise me on how easy it would be to upgrade my Fighting Mania cab to run Punch Mania 2.

[​IMG]

I've read the very interesting thread started by Parris last year about the System 573 and have come to understand that inorder to run a game on it you need the CD, security cartridge and PCMCIA flash card.

Cart:
    [​IMG]

Card:
    [​IMG]

So I think I'm hopefully right in understanding that I already have the security cartridge and flash card needed to make Fighting Mania work. But would I need a completely different security cartridge and flash card to get Punch Mania 2 to work on my cab, even thought it's basically just an upgrade rather than a different game?

I've found someone who might be willing to sell me a genuine Punch Mania 2 CD but I don't want to buy it until I'm absolutely sure it'll be of use to me. I'm not even sure if these arcade machines are region specific like consoles?

I didn't get any manuals or instructions with this cab so I'm really in the dark as to how to upgrade it so any advice will be very much appreciated. I haven't even been able to figure out how to open the CD drive as pushing the button with the machine on doesn't seem to work, lol.

Matt

2. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

is there any kind of dipswitch settings or anything like that? see if theres a "test" or "settings" mode and maybe theres an option in there to eject the cd tray?? Im just throwing an idea out there, i dont really know too much about arcade games. sorry i couldnt be of more help :icon_bigg

3. neo_razor

neo_razor Member

Yeah, I've tried going through all the options available through the "test" and "service" buttons on the front of the cab but there wasn't anything to eject the cd tray. The four dipswitches on the main unit inside the cab didn't seem to have any effect either.

I've now also tried removing the cartridge, flash card and jamma connection hoping this might make the eject button function but to no avail. The little git just doesn't want to give up that CD!

The solution is probably staring me in the face but I just can't get the tray open. Anyone ever dealt with a System 573 before?

4. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

I can't tell from the picture (it could be another access L.E.D.), but just to the right of the center of the CD drive, there is a hole. This is the manual ejection access. The best tool for the job is a paper clip or another strong / straight piece of wire to get in there and eject the tray. Once you have your tool of choice, push it firmly straight into the manual ejection access and the tray should eject. Be sure to do this when the unit is off.

If that is the access light, then then look by the eject button and around the front of the bezel for it. The diameter is usually only as big as a regular paper clip's is.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. neo_razor

neo_razor Member

OMG WTF! I took your advice and got the CD tray open and there wasn’t even a disc in the drive? So does that mean all the game data is stored on the flash card maybe? I really wish I had a manual for this machine is I really don’t have a clue how it all works. Thanks for the tip though Dreamcast :)

This still leaves me wondering if I bought the Punch Mania 2 disc whether I’d be able to use it to upgrade this machine, or if I’d need a new security cartridge as well. Has anyone ever used a System 573 to play more than just the game it came with?

6. neo_razor

neo_razor Member

Okay, I now have the Punch Mania 2 CD. I changed the dip switch to run off the CD rather than the flash card and booted it up, firstly without a security cartridge and then with the Fighting Mania cartridge.

No cartridge:
    [​IMG]

With Fighting Mania cartridge:
    [​IMG]

So it would seem the Fighting Mania cartridge won't cut it, I'm going to need a Punch Mania 2 cartridge for the job... :banghead:

My search for a Punch Mania 2 cartridge begins, but I am concerned about something I read in an old thread about the System 573:

If the System 16 website is correct then Fighting/Punch Mania was released on the standard System 573 Hardware and not Bemani System 573 Digital Hardware.

System 573 - http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=582
    System 573 Digital - http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=823

But can anyone categorically tell me for sure, if I manage to track down a Punch Mania 2 security cartridge, whether it'll work on any System 573 cabinet or only the one it was originally installed on?

If I can just figure this last detail out then all that remains for me to do is track down a Punch Mania 2 cartridge. Then I'll finally, FINALLY be able to play it :icon_bigg

Matt

7. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

I believe the cart is region coded and you'll need the Japanese cart for Punch Mania for it to work correctly.

8. smf

smf mamedev

I will have to dig out the punch mania code and see if I can get it working again, it broke a while back and never made it into a MAME release.

Off the top of my head I would say that the cartridge wasn't tied to the machine. Only the digital games were & from memory it's got it's own i/o board. High res pictures of the boards would be nice.

However I don't think a CD & cartridge will do it. I think it needs more flash cards. The game calls for more than 2 PCMCIA slots, but that might be some form of doubler.

If you install punchmania 2 then there is no going back to fighting mania without the CD & fighting mania isn't currently dumped. A copy of the flash card and the flash roms on your motherboard would be nice too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    kakarikr likes this.
  9. kakarikr

kakarikr Member

7 years later

Is it now possible to do something with that ?

I just found a fighting mania cab and wonder if after many years some people may have found a way to play the punch mania 1 or 2 ...

Those american voices

10. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

The good news is in all these years Both games have been fully dumped and emulated in mame, so all of the files for them are fully available.

When Punchmania/Fighting Mania is run in mame, it writes its flash roms, and then 1 Flash Card. The the game needs to be reset, then the game runs.

When Punch Mania 2 is run in mame, it wries flash roms but then writes to 3 PC Flash Cards. It first will erase and write a card addressed as PCCard1, then it will erase and write PCCard3 and PCCard4 (erases both of them the writes both of them). Then the game needs to be reset, then the game runs.

So it would appear there is atleast a little hardware difference between the two games. As I have never seen a Konami System 573 I do not know what kind of slots/interfaces it uses. If the system can take 3 cards by default all you would need to do is add 2 more cards and the game should run just fine as long as it is not bios region locked. However there is also a chance that you need to install some sort of expansion board for the second two cards which would explain why they are erased and written together.

11. kakarikr

kakarikr Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply mate

Two things :

When you say it has bios region free , would it mean that the security check will be disabled if I use the image extracted of the chd ?

Other thing the konami board has only 2 entries for PCCARD ...

I know that the second version of punchmania has a coop mod by linking two cabs and also a fonction connected with pccard for record on internet , maybe those won t be needed .

If anybody knows anything , I would pay a lot to play it on my fightingmania cab as these voices are killing me

12. root670

root670 Robust Member

The game uses a PCMCIA multiplexer iirc that connects two cards to one slot with the 3rd card in its own slot. There's no region locking on the 573, but the security cartridge is locked to the original 573 that the game was installed on. 573 security is fairly weak for the most part, and most hacked versions of games required maybe 2-3 instructions to be modified to bypass the cartridge check if you compare the files on the disc.

kakarikr likes this.
  13. kakarikr

kakarikr Member

So you try to say it is something you could do ( make a cd bootable without any security check ?)

14. kakarikr

kakarikr Member

And that multiplexer will be impossible to find for sure ... getting a punchmania2 is a real nightmare ^^

15. kakarikr

kakarikr Member

Hi !!

Some news !

I have downloaded CHDs from Mame ( fighting mania and punchmania2 ) abd extracted the bin with chdman , then burned it and now I have the 2 original game's cds .

When I opened it with ultraiso , tried to take the sound DAT of the PCCARD1 in PM2 and put it to replace the SOUND DATA IN fighting mania ( renamed the PCCARD1 in SOUND DATA)

IT works , the game launches the install and after 20 minutes when everything was done ( erase flash rom - copy flash rom - erase flash card - copy flash card)
    I ve had an error message " flash card error please call the attendant "

I was upset but I manage easily to reinstall the original game with the fighting mania cd once , it works ( that was yesterday)

But this mourning I tried a new cd with some sort of patch and now it is impossible to do anything .

When I put the punching mania CD and when it launches it is written :

" Flash rom error device "

What should I do ?

It seems the security has been flashed with a wrong file and now it won t boot and show an an error ...

I WILL FIND out ... someday maybe with some help

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015