(Updated 6/10/2016) Sonic X-treme Release Central | SonicBoom Pre-NV1 Build

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by Borman, Feb 23, 2015.

1. vetz

vetz Active Member

Very nice progress!

Any chance you could make the original NV1 version that will run on Windows95 available for download? I have the hardware available and would be VERY interesting to see how it performs on a real NV1 system. I have a VGA capturing device and I know alot of people that are highly interested in 3D accelerators hardware would like to see more stuff running on the real NV1.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Yes, eventually I will release v37 for NV1/Win95 too.

3. vetz

vetz Active Member

Excellent, thanks :)

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Unrelated to the previous teaser, here is the NV1 / Windows 95 build of v37.

v37 for NV1 / Windows 95 (4/26/2015 Release):
    -Removed due to error. See the first post or below for the proper archive :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. vetz

vetz Active Member

Thanks for making the build available!

Quick question, is the folder structure the same for this build as with the OpenGL ones? I've coped all the Rsrc and Sysrsrc folder/files from the v37 release into c:\sonic where the executable is placed. When I try to start up the NV1 exectuable I get asked to locate the Level01.DEF file (not Level_01.DEF as the file is actually called!). I browse to it under c:\sonic\rsrc\def\, but I just get an illegal operation error message.

EDIT: After searching around in the .DEF files I see the folder structure should be C:\SONCBOOM\RSRC19. I try and rename the folders, but that doesnt work, unless I just do SONCBOOM and keep RSRC as it is. Then I get a QDNV_Initialize()failed! message up. I've tried going back to the original level (test.def) following the instructions, but with no luck.

I have the same card and drivers as in the readme file. I'm running Win98SE (no problems with other NV1 games). Saturn controller is plugged in (and registered correctly as there is no error message on it). Desktop resolution set to 800x600 16bit colors

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

All the data files must be placed in C:\SONCBOOM\RSRCXX and C:\SONCBOOM\SYSRSRC.

It's hard to troubleshoot this without having access to your machine, on mine it just works... (Win98 SE + Diamond Edge 3D).

The QDNV_Initialize() failed! message happens when the engine cannot initialize the NV1 hardware, I will check again the code to see what else may cause it.

It may be an issue with the data, if you PM me your email address I will send you a zip with one level data taken directly from my Win98 machine.

Jolly

7. vetz

vetz Active Member

Using RSRCXX as foldername now generates a illegal operation error, having it any other name generates a QDNV_Initialize() failed! message. I still get prompted to browse the .DEF file. I've PM'ed you to get the zip file, ust incase there are a problem with the files :)

I'm also reinstalling Win95 OSR2 from scratch on the system (1996 hardware: Pentium 133, 32MB EDO RAM, ASUS VX97 Intel430VX Socket 7 motherboard) just incase that is the problem. Could you please post your Win98 system specs? I can probably find something similar and put together.

8. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Sorry, I meant RSRCXX as in RSRC00 to RSRC99, with digits where the X are.

You may be missing some data files, I will send you a zip tonight.

My configuration:

- Pentium 3 - 500 MHz
    - 128 MB RAM
    - Asus P3B-F

Jolly

9. vetz

vetz Active Member

I understood you :) RSRC19 is the folder I used, but my reply didn't actually help clearing that up.

I have also tried switching the card out to my Edge 3D 2200, no difference. All other NV1 games and demos run fine on both cards.

I have a P3B-F, so that is next on the list unless the zip I get from you start working.

Here is the error message

10. vetz

vetz Active Member

Good news! The zip file Jolly sent me works! Definitely something with the released v37 data files (included in PC release 001 and 002) that is causing the error.

Getting around 20 FPS with my Pentium 133 system and an Edge 3D 2200. Will try and see if that can be increased when I get back home from work.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  11. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Good to know. The data files for the OpenGL version of the engine have been slightly modified to compensate for bugs that are present in the engine.

The NV1 release is based on code that was not modified to fix some of those bugs, therefore it needs to use the original, unmodified data files too; this is the reason why the files are not interchangeable.

We will re-release the build with the same data I sent you, which can serve as template for anyone who wants to convert other files from PackageX.

Jolly

12. Borman

Here is the updated NV1 links, also added to the first part.

v37 for NV1 / Windows 95 (4/28/2015 Release):
    Mega.co.nz
    HugeFiles
    Mediafire

Please note: The archive needs to be unzipped directly on C:\, so that it decompresses into a folder called "SONCBOOM"

13. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

14. Borman

Alright everyone, big day.

Back on 5/6, as Andrew75 said, the Point of View build was released. It now has its own thread with the original post in this release central having a link both to the thread and downloads.

And today, the very first version of the v037 SonicBoom level editor has been released, which again is in the first post of this thread plus its own for that extra nudge to check it out.

Enjoy!

15. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

Not sure if anyone else has had trouble with the Saturn release but I seem to get coasters when trying to burn it off. Universal V3 chip installed on a NTSC/U Model 2 with Action Replay, tried burning both the April and May builds at the lowest speed I can (16x in my case) and nothing.

Both copies go straight to the Saturn menu, or when running off Action Replay it just stays at the "... Loading ..." screen and never reaches the Sega screen. The disc stops spinning as well so it isn't a waiting game either.

16. Borman

New Update!

SonicBoom Pre-NV1 Windows Build
    Mega.co.nz
    Mediafire

AUSTIN PEYTON, Energy, rtw and 3 others like this.
  17. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

Any Updates from jolly in recent?

18. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

I cant speak for JollyRoger. But I think, Do to time restrictions, Sadly (this kind of crushes me to say this) but Jolly may not be making any new Modifications to any of the Sonic X-treme builds that he has.
    I wish I could tell you otherwise, because it was a lot of fun seeing this all unfold. And I know that there are a lot of Sonic X-treme fans waiting for more info! (I suppose we fans will just have to return to Xtreme hibernation and wait till someone releases another Build of Xtreme or new videos) I know for sure that there are a few unseen builds out there! ( 3 more boss arena builds and V42 playable levels)

Personally, I'd really like to see some more work done with Jollys builds. :)
    If he ever changes his mind, I think that would be awesome. And if he needed me again, I'm ready and willing to lend a hand anytime he needs assistance with anything like translating the later V42 .def files. I've taken plenty of notes for block slope angle and block scale conversions, along with some of the Autotexture generation features. However it would require a lot of fresh programing on his part and I don't think he has the time to work on fixing up anymore Sonic X-treme builds sadly.

There were some things on a to do list for updating some of the current releases that have not been implemented like the curved background effect for V37 or the save feature to save levels made or edited in the V37 level editor among a few other features. Jolly is a busy man afterall and I think he's done quite a lot for the Sonic Community. Many thanks for all the hard work and long hours put into porting the builds to modern windows. ( Sometimes you just have to move on, I suppose )

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  19. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

Ahh well that's a shame, still jolly has done so much for the xtreme community in recent that there is really no point of pressuring him. I still wish we could add some other levels to the editor that has been released though. And cant wait for some more axsx content too! keep up the good work guys!

20. andrew75

andrew75 Spirited Member

For Sure! (About the not pressuring him.) As for AXSX, I'm kind of hitting a brick wall in recreating some things. but than again hitting Brick walls has been an ongoing thing since 2006, will I ever be able to finish this dammed project ?! OMG, it seems like I'm getting closer but further away each year, its torture, because I want to move onto a new project already!
    I'm sticking with this till the end.