Update RVT R writer firmware?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by pstrick1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

I was looking at Crediar's old thread here: https://assemblergames.com/threads/good-news-everyone-p.28273/ and was curious to try it myself.

He mentions a bunch of tools that I can't find anywhere. I know I don't have a complete set of SDKs, but I think they're complete up to 2010 when that thread was posted.

Is it even possible to update the RVT-R Writer firmware? I don't have the tool to do so nor do I see any mention of a tool anywhere.

It's driving me crazy. You don't have to share the files, but if somebody can even verify the tools exist, it would put me at ease.

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yes they exist. I've made 2.

You need to know how to reverse the updaters to make it work.

3. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

What is the update program called? I searched through the SDKs and can't find it.

4. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

So I just found this quote over on prototopia's website from Demon.

Did you use an official Nintendo tool to create the drive, or did you dump the firmware from Crediar's drive using a third party tool and reflash it to a different drive?

9 years later, Crediar's whole story doesn't seem very Cred-able.
    I'm guessing he just dumped the firmware from an RVT-R Writer and flashed it to another drive. Still impressive, but not at all what he claimed he had done.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I got it a little mixed up.

The wii drive was cloned without the nintendo updater.

I did patch the gamecube updater to flash the nr writer firmware and tested it in much the same fashion as crediar claims.

I am also still looking for the rvt-r writer firmware to make the process easier.

6. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Thanks for clearing it up.

I have the nr updater, but I'll let you know if I come across one for the rvt writer.