Unreleased & Planned Sega 32X/Sega CD 32X Games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by KGRAMR, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega36000024.jpg mmsega36000045.jpg mmsega36000052.jpg UK press only had scavenger's amok down as saturn Only, as far as i'm aware, claim being team didn't want to annouce details of it, until they had confidence in the project...see scan.

Plus few misc shots with box out's detailing the 32X features of planned games:

2. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega37000011.jpg mmsega37000016.jpg mmsega38000024.jpg mmsega38000025.jpg mmsega38000034.jpg mmsega41000028.jpg mmsega41000031.jpg Alien T.on 32X annouced as dead, X-Men Coverage and Core developing titles like Thunderhawk and Blam Machine Head on PC with conversion to Console, which ties in with what swagman Team were saying about games editor starting life on Amiga, then switching to PC..i've yet to see any claims 32X etc were lead formats.

This ties in with talk of SGI work by Virgin being done 1st so it could 'easily' be converted onto console platforms at a later date.

Makes sense..render your images on powerful Silicon Graphics workstations even before you've decided on specific platforms to bring the game/s to, give the Press some teaser shots to start building interest and all the while you can monitor the market, see exactly which are the platforms to back.

If 32X, Jaguar CD etc are clearly bombing, skip them, bring games to the platforms with the bigger user bases.

good likes this.
  3. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega40000018.jpg mmsega40000018_1.jpg mmsega40000019.jpg mmsega40000020.jpg mmsega40000021.jpg mmsega40000022.jpg mmsega40000023.jpg Interview with Darkstalkers team..32X version not mentioned nor even asked about....

4. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

It's not Nightstalkers, it's the original Darkstalkers that i'm trying to find info on the magazines that covered SCES 1994. Now, somebody with insane skills could make use of the Genesis to move the backgrounds and the HUD, while making the 32X to handle everything else so, a homebrew port would be possible.

5. KGRAMR

So, almost every game that were listed on the many websites that i managed to get compiled here are mostly from Mean Machines Sega, interesting but there's more info on more magazines so we can't just focus on 1 or 3 magazines, just to keep in mind (Fun fact: Richard of Digital Foundry used to work for MMSega!).

6. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I think the Tomb Raider 32X info came from a SEGA Power interview/preview. I'd have to find it.

KGRAMR likes this.
  7. LD

LD Peppy Member

Cheers Segafreak_NL, i might drop Richard a line to see if he took the same mock-up images he took to Edge to the Sega Specific press, to build expectation for the games coming...but it might well of been a split task, Richard handling some, Susie handling others, as she is quoted in C+VG etc.

There were an awful lot of UK magazines back then...

8. LD

LD Peppy Member

9. LD

LD Peppy Member

10. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

It's so lame how the only addition to that 32x version of Spot Goes to Hollywood was a Space Harrier ripoff bonus stage. Still gotta wonder why they thought that warranted a separate purchase from the Genesis version.

LD and KGRAMR like this.
  11. LD

LD Peppy Member

It's sadly a very familiar story..

When i think back to Sega CD versions of thinks like Earthworm Jim..extended levels, 1 exclusive level and more frames of animation and Puggsy..extra levels and new bosses...

Whilst there were enhancements and exclusive content, developers weren't really tapping into the hardware potential enough to really convince people the add-on was worth purchasing.

I'm sure they would say the user base was far too small to warrant investing resources in, but unless there was clear blue water between the standard Genesis versions and the Sega CD and 32X versions..there was little to no incentive to buy an upgrade device.

Catch 22 situation..

12. LD

LD Peppy Member

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this..but site hosting the interview i did closed long ago..but here's Core Design's P.R guy, Richard Barclay talking about taking preview material to the press..

'we definitely acquired
    mock up screen shots and paraded them around as in-development
    projects. Also, I wouldn’t have lied to journalists and pretended
    those screen shots were something they weren’t. I’d have said they
    were mock ups of a title..'

It's taken from Q. i asked about Edge printing supposed Jaguar Tomb Raider screens..but the key point is, Richard openly admits the practice of taking mock up screens to the press, but making clear they were just that.

How the magazines themselves presented them after that though is open to scrutiny..

13. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

Here's how I see it, if Richard was upfront and openly admitted that the pics were mockups when he gave them to the gaming press, there's no fault on his end because he was honest about the pics being mockups, however if the gaming press then turned around and posted those pics claiming that they were legit screenshots knowing full well that they weren't then said gaming press lied to the consumer.

LD and KGRAMR like this.
  14. LD

LD Peppy Member

Richard was a true gentleman in sparing his valuable time to chat to myself over email and makle clear the press were the ones who attempted to decieve paying customers, not himself, nor Core Design, his honesty does him great credit.

Mean Machines were another that were guilty in the smoke and mirrors/B.S shots game..

Passing off Alien Trilogy rendered intro imagery as actual in-game, claiming it would make Jaguar AVP look like The wizzard Of Oz...

I hate jurno's missleading people, i really do.

15. KGRAMR

Bumped, as people needs to look where some of these unreleased, unfinished, planned and mentioned 32X titles were mentioned. If you know where the rest of the scans showing the titles come from, be sure to let us know! We know that they come from some mags such as Sega Force, Gamefan, etc. ;)

16. Tongara

Tongara A Clockwork Knight~

Curious about the Clockwork Knight being planned for the 32X claim in the list on the first page of this thread.
    This is something I've heard for many years (even seen added to a wiki article), but have never seen anything concrete.

The images people like to show/claim are the 32X version are usually the Silicon Graphics workstations video where Pepper is fighting a "jack in the box" character, and doing things such as walking around a room, etc.
    "Jack in the Box" scene can be seen at 1:24 in this video:

I read once this was a playable demo, but I don't believe this to be true, based on a little further research.

This video was also included as a bonus on the "Pepperouchau no Fukubukuro (JP)" & "Clockwork Knight 2 (US)" CD's as bonus content for completing certain things in the game.

So, again, I'm just curious as to where other than that it was ever actually stated that Clockwork Knight started life on the 32X?

Oh, and here is the video mentioned above, just for reference, including the scene of pepper fighting the "Jack in the Box" at 2:39. Kinda funny that the version shown in the screenshots and Saturn Launch video is WAY less dark than the Saturn bonus version.~

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    KGRAMR likes this.
  17. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

From what I read back in 1994, it seems as if Sega of Japan established several CS "satellite groups" to specifically create new software for the Saturn's launch, with this later being slightly amended so that Team Andromeda's Panzer Dragoon, Team Aquila's Victory Goal and Team Ara's Clockwork Knight would hit shelves soon after the console, their development windows slightly extended as a result of all three being produced while the hardware was still itself being finalised - although each would receive at least one sequel, Ara was the quickest to issue CK2 as a further refinement of its own engine. My guess is that the only reason journalists confused any of these projects as being 32X-bound was due to early target render footage made on Silicon Graphics workstations (including the sequences of Clockwork Knight and Victory Goal seen in that US promotional tape) surfacing around the same time Sega was also promoting its second Mega Drive upgrade, though a short preliminary real time clip of Panzer Dragoon found its way into a volume of the Japanese Sega Video Magazine series, where it was incorrectly placed to give the suggestion this was an upcoming 32X title.

P.S. One mystery I've always wanted to know more about from this period is why Sega of America felt the need to show the arcade version of Virtua Fighter so extensively in their launch-era Saturn promotional video, especially when this was one of the few games already completed and available in Japan. Maybe they felt such a flawed conversion didn't present the new system at its best to potential buyers, especially since VF Remix and possibly even VF2 were already on the horizon when that VHS cassette's contents were compiled?

good and Tongara like this.
  18. KGRAMR