Unreleased & Planned Sega 32X/Sega CD 32X Games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by KGRAMR, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LD

LD Peppy Member

Sadly this was the same Sega who told the developers of the Shining Force series they were no longer needed and that E.A needed Sega..Sega didn't need E.A.

I've seen so many talented studios simply left to be dissolved. ..Scavenger..Ensemble..Bizzare Creations etc yet likes of Sega..Sony etc trying to support numerous platforms.

Who do they think are going to be making the games if the developers simply move into setting up Studios to develop games for tablets and mobile phones?

2. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

There's another title that i didn't put on the list and that was the recently discovered Super Strike Trilogy on the Sega CD because it's not verified that it has support for the 32X or not (it was although mentioned on old unreleased lists of games for the system).

3. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Very curious about Rayman 32X. Wonder if the same source knows anything about the SNES version :)

4. KGRAMR

Michel Ancel may be your best source about what happend to SNES Rayman.
    I won't say his name about who was the one who spilled the beans about 32X Rayman but here's a hint: He was one of the lead programmers of the Jaguar version of the game.

5. KGRAMR

Ok so, here's what happend to Rayman on the 32X according to one of the lead programmers who came by himself at the JSIII group on FB. This is his comment:
    "We never thought of a 32x version which mean a downgrade from the Super Nintendo... Even if I do love the Megadrive (especially the shoot em up) and the fact I did an unrealeased shoot em up game on this platform."

So, this could pretty much confirm that development on Rayman for the 32X didn't started but it was in the plans at some point in the game's development but knowing the homebrew community, somebody could pull it off. It was mentioned for the 3DO as well but i'll leave the answer as to what happend to the 3DO versiĆ³n in another time.

This is where Rayman for the 32X was mentioned:
    19693661_879641608868522_7186490521777391189_o.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    good and Getta Robo like this.
  6. KGRAMR

Here's some magazine scans that mentions some of the unreleased games listed + preliminary box of Jet Ski Rage:
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 32-xtreme-32x-sega-jetski-scan.jpg coverx.jpg 6.jpg

7. KGRAMR

Here's some more:
    alone_in_the_dark_2_32x__gamepro_068_march_95.jpg aloneinthedark2_32x_mar95_29.jpg aloneinthedark32x_scan.jpg

8. KGRAMR

micro update: Midnight Raiders is Surgical Strike.

9. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

I'm normally not skeptical about things like this but I seriously have to question the info on this one, for starters from what I understand the SNES version didn't get very far into development before being moved over to the Jaguar (it got farther than the early SNES build we have but probably not much farther before being scrapped) so the SNES version would have been out of the running after moving the game over to the Jaguar (not only that but why would they have to "downgrade" a 16-bit game for a 32-bit machine, that idea literally makes zero sense, even in a worst case scenario the 32x version of the SNES game would have been a 1:1 conversion just with different music and a higher resolution), now it's possible they misspoke and meant to say Jaguar instead of SNES, but even if that is the case that raises another issue, because the Saturn and PS1 are 32-bit systems like the 32x is so the downgrading argument makes little sense in this context because the Saturn and PS1 versions themselves would have also had to have downgraded from the Jaguar version (so if the Saturn and PS1 versions are downgraded verisions, then the same can surely be done for the 32x, it might have taken a little more work but it definitely would have been possible), and finally the info in the article you posted came from CES so any info presented would have almost certainly came from Ubisoft directly so there's that to consider as well, all in all something just isn't adding up here IMHO, if there was a link to the original Facebook post I'd ask the developer directly but alas there's not.

LD likes this.
  10. KGRAMR

The original post can only be found on the Jaguar Sector III group on FB. I think the downgrading he was talking about was to make the game run below the 60fps target and cut some levels (in fact, this was the reason as to why the 3DO version didn't moved foward, because they wanted to make the game run at a rock-solid fps and the system's hardware was not up to the task. Look at Gex on the 3DO and compare it to the other versions). Then again, someone with the skills could make the game run on the system.

11. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Tomb Raider was actually started as a 32X project.

KGRAMR likes this.
  12. KGRAMR

Hmm...That's interesting to know. Tomb Raider was also planned for the Jaguar CD, according to some sources.

13. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega25000010.jpg mmsega25000011.jpg mmsega25000013.jpg mmsega26000010.jpg mmsega26000011.jpg mmsega27000011.jpg mmsega27000026.jpg mmsega28000011.jpg mmsega29000011.jpg mmsega29000012.jpg A stack of scans from the UK Press, lot of rumoured 32X titles, 32X titles annouced when only the SGI imagery had been rendered it seem, speculation etc.

How many of these actually had any real coding done on 32X..is something others can find, these are intended just to show the press coverage from the time.

14. LD

LD Peppy Member

15. LD

LD Peppy Member

16. LD

LD Peppy Member

sega01000013.jpg Alien Trilogy when it was annouced as Alien War

17. LD

LD Peppy Member

@Segafreak_NL:What's the source for Tomb Raider starting on 32X?

Only reason i ask, is i traced the claims of it starting on Jaguar Cd right back to the source-Core design's PR chap, Richard Barclay, who told me the screens used in the advertising supplement ATARI paid EDGE Magazine to produce, were fakes/Mock-up's and Edge knew this, but used them and the claim game was headed to Jaguar CD anyway (in reality platform had yet to be decided)...

Gavin Rummery from Core told me people were always tinkering with things, 1 person usually being tasked to see if it was worth bringing games to new hardware platforms...

Paul Douglas, speaking to Edge Magazine in the Jan'96 issue said Core had spent 2 years on tomb raider and he spent that time just tweaking the control system, ..also he reckoned around 40% of the teams time during that 2 years was spent developing the tools needed so artists could go off and put their expression into what they were doing without bothering the coders...

The decision to have Miss Croft swimming, pushing development time back by a few months, but adding so much more to the game..

Team also stated the original Concept for Tomb Raider , Sketches, ideas etc were doing the rounds some 12 months before they had even finished BC Racers othe Mega CD, but had immense problems initally designing a system around a character that would let them move within a camera system.

It reminded me of how Factor 5 had planned to do their 3D Indiana Jones game on the SNES using the SFX chip, but found it wasn't powerful enough, so switched development to the PC instead.

No-one's mentioned 32X for Tomb Raider in my limited investigations, but then i was chasing claims of Jaguar CD version...

18. LD

LD Peppy Member

:) Ahh could it be Next generation Magazine claiming 32X Tomb Raider? USA version of Edge, so publisher would used same screens and just made another aussumption perhaps?.

As you can see from UK Press scans, so many claims, rumours, suggested 32X titles doing the rounds.

19. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega20000010.jpg mmsega20000011.jpg mmsega23000009.jpg mmsega25000024.jpg mmsega25000025_1.jpg mmsega25000026.jpg Few more..inc Core talking about developing for 32X whilst Sega still sorting out 32X Hardware

20. LD

LD Peppy Member

mmsega29000034.jpg mmsega30000032.jpg mmsega30000033.jpg mmsega30000034.jpg MMsega34000030.jpg MMsega34000033.jpg mmsega3200027.jpg MMsega35000028.jpg A few more misc scans, either 32X version mentioned or 32X itself talked about or simply MD version of an annouced 32X game listed...