Unreleased & Planned Sega 32X/Sega CD 32X Games

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by KGRAMR, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

That's up to the people who may have flash cart containing some of these games within it to come foward, show them and maybe (& hopefully) dump them online.

2. KGRAMR

I'll more post magazine scans that mentions the 32X versions of some of the games here when i have the time, it's just that college stuff caught up with me sadly :(

3. KGRAMR

So, to make a quick update for this list:
    X-Men: Mind Games, Virtua Hamster & Soulstar X were dumped online. Spot Goes to Hollywood, Darxide (U.S. Prototype), FIFA Soccer '96 (U.S. Prototype. FIFA Soccer '95 was planned but EA must have decided to port the new installment at one point in development) & Pinocchio prototypes do exists but they haven't been dumped online. I do have, however, very important comments from a very reliable source about what happend to Rayman for the 32X so stay alert as soon as i make the post about Rayman 32X :D

Bramsworth and Taijigamer2 like this.
  4. LD

LD Peppy Member

5. LD

LD Peppy Member

6. LD

LD Peppy Member

Daniel Small, Scavenger, talking to Edge, way back in October 1995, spoke of the 32X:

'A great machine, but it just didn't happen..'

It's made clear company are working on a small number of 32X titles, but they only indicate these being:

Heavy Machinery (described as a home grown racing effort) and X-Men, which Daniel described as being the most beautiful thing we would ever see and the team were just waiting on Sega to give them the finished artwork, before the game could be finished and Sega had invested $2.2 Million in the company developing on Saturn and 32X.

AMOK is clearly saturn only..Daniel talked about teams BSpace Algorithm allowing landscape to be warped by players actions etc which created a more involving game.

But it doesn't appear as if it was ever a 32X title...

7. LD

LD Peppy Member

Missing from the list are 32X CD Primal Rage (Planned, cancelled, thanks to Sega Retro for the info)

8. KGRAMR

I didn't put it on the list 'cause while it's true that Primal Rage was going to have a CD 32X version, it was released on cart so, personally, it doesn't count for me.

9. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Scavenger's 32X tech demo video reel contains in-engine footage of basic concepts that would later become Scorcher and the cancelled X-Men: Mind Games, while Lemon's voxel showcase is far more advanced (yet also still untitled), being remarkably similar to a level in the final Saturn version of AMOK. This may never have been officially announced as a 32X project, but I'd definitely suggest adding it to the list based on the aforementioned footage alone, since the game's roots certainly weren't on the Saturn... Along with Scorcher, I'd wager the reason we had to wait so long for AMOK to arrive on Saturn was because of so much work that already existed needing to be retooled, likely in order for it to take better advantage of the more powerful hardware.

LD likes this.
  10. LD

LD Peppy Member

Acclaim's The Duel tech demo showcased it's motion capture technology that went onto be used in numerous games..along with the Xeno stalking the marine for Alien Trilogy.

Concepts are usually rolled out at the emergence of new hardware to see if the hardware itself is capable of handling what the developer has in mind and it's not unusual for them to wait for more powerful hardware or wait and see which will be the leading platforms.

If your talking small teams, which Scavenger were, they could ill afford to back the wrong platforms, even with Sega's investment.

Anthaemia. likes this.
  11. LD

LD Peppy Member

The other issues facing Scavenger, was that they openly admitted rather than using other people's game engines, they would spend 2-3 years working on their own and once these were complete, wouldn't license any of them out.

A lot changes in the games industry in that amount of time and in hindsight from a business point of view, keeping the technology in house might of been a mistake.

12. LD

LD Peppy Member

Scavengers stunning looking Into The Shadows on PC (which UK press had rumoured as a Saturn title also), started off as nothing more than a set of graphical demos of their new game engine and wasn't until early 1995, when all the programming tools were at the stage where the team could easily add content, that they decided what type of game to create with it..

In this case a Dungeon Game.

Interesting insight to how their minds worked..build the tech..get the tools ready..then decide how best to use it all.

Anthaemia. likes this.
  13. LD

LD Peppy Member

They were a fantastic developer, thier Advanced Physics Engine, Triton, took 2 years to develop alone and followed the company's more unconventional approach..set teams working on set projects and being given years to develop them.

Entire teams set to developing Advanced Physics Engines, others fast graphics engines.

They compared themselves to how the music industry worked..individual teams were the bands, simply sharing a studio and Scavenger being the record label as it were, they all fell under.

14. Anthaemia.

I remember Triton's initial PC tech demo for Into The Shadows, which looked impressive yet lacked any kind of real direction that only seemed to manifest in later magazine articles. Sure, the basic dungeon setting and even some of the characters were showcased at an early stage, but it looks as if Scavenger wanted to present basic ideas before committing to an actual game, and it wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason Scorcher or AMOK took so long is because they were being similarly retrofitted to shoehorn content of any substance into pre-existing code that was only ever intended to highlight certain features on target hardware.

Another developer for the Saturn with a similar approach (that didn't share the same demoscene background as many of the programmers operating under the Scavenger umbrella) was Traveller's Tales, who originally pitched a 3D racing engine that was meant to power a realistic F1 racing simulator. However, Sega Europe was more impressed with this technology's potential to serve as the underpinning for a Sonic-themed response to Mario Kart 64, leading to its reworking into Sonic R once designers from Sonic Team came on board with suggestions for what they wanted to see in the resulting game, including a vocal soundtrack.

LD likes this.
  15. LD

LD Peppy Member

Scavenger were happy to ignore the naysayers moaning about Saturn being difficult to code for, underpowered etc

Vertigo going for 3D at 30 FPS in 32,000 colours, they produced the wonderous Sub-Terrania and Red Zone on the MegaDrive, i would of loved to of seen how far they could of pushed the 2 Sega 32bit systems.

They talked of going the NURB route over traditional polygons on Playstation..

They had such a refreshing approach to coding for new console hardware.

16. LD

LD Peppy Member

I think there's always a danger that a studio can come up with the most fantastic technology out there and then really struggle to develop a game worthy of it as it were..

The 1st Assassins Creed game on PS3 etc a good example as was Factor 5's Lair..a 1080P launch title that played like a dog.

Marketing pressure must play a role..they want gorgeous looking screens to plaster in the press to build anticipation for a game, but it has it's risks...

Espically if they later tell developers that the concepts they are working on are now out dated..people don't want Dungeons and all that geek crap, it's Ninjas and stealth etc..;-)

17. LD

LD Peppy Member

Travellers Tales were another showcase developer that stumbled..

MegaDrive Toy Story and Mickley Mania were doing things on stock hardware i thought only the Mega CD would make possible..

Sonic R shoe cased the Saturn Transparency effects etc and didn't they say it would of been impossible to replicate the same effects on the PS1 and maintain the same frame rate?

But from there they went onto produce the likes of Rascal on PS1..

What happened guys?

18. Anthaemia.

Traveller's Tales once pushed hardware and always developed fresh engine technology for each new project, but then it stopped innovating, probably because it was easier (if not less financially demanding) to keep churning out licensed titles using the same basic codebase, as happened with its later Disney games and more recently the Lego series. However, I'm still not convinced by their claims that Sonic R would have only run at 5FPS on the PlayStation - this was likely something they said knowing the resulting interview would be printed in the Official Sega Saturn Magazine, where its subject console needed all the promotional help it could get at the time. For example, there's nothing beyond the reach of Sony's platform in terms of polygonal detail, texture quality or even its use of transparency effects to hide draw-in, though I can imagine the rippling water being a problem, since the PS1 didn't have a direct equivalent to the VDP2, meaning this would have likely needed to be recreated with geometry.

LD likes this.
  19. Anthaemia.

Speaking of Scavenger's teams, it's a real shame that Sega Europe didn't take Zyrinx, Lemon or even Triton under its wing as "1.5 party" when it was recruiting other developers such as Bizarre Creations, Argonaut and Red Lemon to create new software for the Dreamcast. By this point, I don't believe their parent company had been under for long, with many of the former staff at Zyrinx and Lemon going on to form IO Interactive in late 1998. Can you imagine how different things might have turned out if Sega had managed to secure the likes of Hitman as a console exclusive franchise?

LD likes this.
  20. LD

LD Peppy Member

I always took Travellers Tales quote as being printed out of context by Sega magazine..who were probably sick of the Saturn hardware being put down in areas like transparency.

I would assume T.T were saying if you attempted to reproduce the same effects on PS1 by crowbarring the Saturn code onto PS1. .It simply wouldn't work..the differences in hardware simply too great.

You would need to write specific PS1 code.

You've only to look at how Doom turned out on Pal Saturn after John Carmack wouldn't allow Jim Bagley to use the Saturn hardware as he wanted..Instead he was forced into converting PS1 code best he could.

Carmack later admitting in hindsight this was a mistake.