Unreleased or beta pics (formerly beta pics)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sayin999, Mar 27, 2004.

1. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Im actually flattered that my old topic has survived this long and is still being a sticky, its nice to have just one thread dedicating to beta pics, i really wish i hadnt thrown away some of my old magazines with 64 beta pics, but i will look through some of my old egms and see what i can post when i get a chance.

2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

what magazines? maybe someone here has them

3. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Well one of them was the uk 64 magazine that some newstands here in the U.S. would sell, sadly there were other uk 64 magazines so i cant remember the name of it, i do remember that one of their early issues had a huge 4-5 page preievew on mission impossible when it was in development and at that time the game was a bit different, in fact they said the last battle scene was so spectacular they wouldnt spoil it only hinting at what it was. They even had interviews with the developers themselves. All i can say is the game that came out was not the same as the one prewied so many times. This is even more true when ign interviewed the developers before the game came out in which they said their team baisicly threw away most of what had been developed and made their own from scratch since the polygon rate was way too high as well as some other stuff. Also it did have first shots of star fox 64 where you can notice alot of subtle differences. As for the mario 64 ad with beta pics in it, i do remember it being in an old gamepro magazine. The ad i belive had a white background and marios face was in the middle, with screenshots of the game at the bottom.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  4. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

take a look at these Magician Lord images

from EGM Number9 article
    [​IMG]

from VG&CE Sept 1990 article
    [​IMG]

from Japanese arcade flyer
    [​IMG]

these are possibly beta images of the game.

It seems that the final game has background graphics that are slightly different. I do not recall seeing the pits that are in these shots, in the final game, or the same floor graphics. and the arrangement of the first level is a little different in the final game also, I think.

for those of you that are very familar with Magician Lord and-or have an interest, please compare these images to the released game and tell me what you think.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  5. Null2009

Null2009 Spirited Member

Wow Speaking of UNRELEASED GAMES

how about all those OTHER versions of Biohazard2/Resident evil2 like
    BioHazard 2 beta 1.5 (Prototype)

And

BioHazard2 beta 1 / Resident Evil 2 beta 1

6. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

What most people don't seem to realise is that there isn't just one definitive version of the original Biohazard 2. In fact, there were at least two different builds that may be of interest - what we're all really after though is the 75-80% complete PlayStation code, which allegedly lacked only FMV sequences and the second scenario ending. I've known for quite some time that something in the earliest playable stages also existed for the Saturn, and more recently I discovered that Capcom had plans for a completely different story, supposedly based on the experiences of a third survivor (described as either a jouralist or photographer) and set during the same time frame as the more commonly-seen prototype. While only about 15% complete, I'm surprised that Resident Evil purists haven't made more of a conscious effort to also leak this alternate game as well. In my opinion, the PS version of RE1.5 is definitely in the public domain, especially considering how much high quality media is available through magazines or certain fan sites. However, as mentioned in that last post, a large portion of this comes from the later transition phase in BH2's development, when it started to change into the end (and ultimately less satisfying) product.

I'm still not exactly sure how Capcom had the nerve to deny the world such a promising title, especially after claiming that it was too similar to its predecessor. Is the final RE2 really that much of a leap forward from the first? How about the third game, or later spin-offs, even? The only real innovation in this series came years after it had already become stale, with the fourth installment (though I must admit that RE4 has at least rekindled my passion for the otherwise tired Survival Horror genre). Also, if the prototype version of Resident Evil 2 was so terrible and formulaic, how come elements from it have appeared in later games? By hacking data in the many demo discs available, we can now see that virtually all of the laboratory stages were left relatively unchanged in the final game, and it's rumoured that a lot of the Outbreak series owes a huge debt to leftover ideas from the "1.5" era. Also, let's not forget that most of the prototype's development team later worked on Parasite Eve, which includes such items as body armour and hand grenades - both of these were highly touted new features of BH2 in its early incarnation. At this rate, and taking everything into account, it's only a matter of time before something's either leaked or Capcom decides to give this game a legitimate release. Whether they do this in the form of a bonus, port or even a remake is still a mystery, but the point remains exactly the same - what Capcom didn't want the world to see has now become the world's secret, and that's got to be an incentive for something, hasn't it?

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

That Missile Fighter reminds me of Valvan on the Saturn by Victor.

Yakumo

9. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Just a little clarification for the RE/BH 2 titles:

-Biohazard 2 Beta 2 (released on P2p)
    -Biohazard 2 Beta 2 VER2 (has extra options in the debug menu activated - Was previously released but noone has it anymore...at least noone willing to share)
    -Biohazard 2 Beta 1 (Both Leon and Claire's senario - Only screens were released from people. Someone has it, but isnt sharing.)
    -Biohazard 2 Prototype (aka 1.5 - I think we all know the story here. A friend of mine almost had it but the deal fell through when the guy asked his boss if it was alright to make a copy for a friend LOL)

Theres quite a few other beta'ish games out there in the BH/RE universe. Most are almost completely the same except for a few small things. Nothing really worth mentioning besides those above.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  10. ccovell

ccovell Resolute Member

Are you sure it was for SCD? Why on earth would a game so utterly basic-looking need the SCD attachment?

Anyway, I'm saddened whenever games for my favourite systems get cancelled, but something like a PC-Enginified Combat clone isn't much of a loss.

11. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Beta 2 disk version of Metal Gear Solid 2

Attached Files:

12. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Pretty sure, but not 120%. This is actually one of the more "wanted" unreleased titles amongst PC-Engine fans.

13. JLukas

JLukas Spirited Member

Chrono Trigger

New beta content discovered in the Chrono Trigger Trial Version Sample

edit: outdated links

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  14. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

nice find, now if only someone would translate the japanese version to see what we missed in the us version, cause for some reason they dont seem to go into major detail about the missing dilouge for the japanes one.

15. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Eh, I've got a copy of that sitting around here. Basically the retail game, with the only big difference that it's on two discs instead of one since Dual Layer burners weren't around back then.

-hl718

16. Sally

Sally Guest

I thought this one was funny. It's from an early build of a Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack. I didn't realize that Gaiden was *that* kind of game:eek:h:

[​IMG]

17. jethro jazz

jethro jazz Active Member

im from the uk and remember the various mags pretty well, ill try and find pictures of the covers to see if you recongnise a logo?

best of them was n64 magazine:

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/stock/assets/images/Mags_-_N64_11.jpg

18. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

wasnt it, im very sorry i threw those out, they had great beta pics of mission impossible, all i know is tht it was called teh unoffical 64 magaznie, first issue had a cover that looked similar to the mario 64 cover.

19. hatergamer

hatergamer Active Member

A Boy and His Blob on Nintendo DS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures were found on www.unseen64.net. It's a great website if your really interested in beta or cancelled games.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  20. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Great scans yamkumo love the goiken pics ive never seen them before.also was x2 re-made better by capcom japan for the psx or is it the same game as the euro version cos its a bit shit despite looking great.