Unreleased or beta pics (formerly beta pics)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sayin999, Mar 27, 2004.

1. gamergary

gamergary Guest

I posted it before chris but you changed the server for the secret page. Here are 2 more pictures from the famicom maniac mansion that are different from the nes version. The statue is in the first picture and the second picture, the arcade marquees look scribbled instead of actually readable in the nes version. http://home.gwi.net/~jamoreau/gary/

2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Someone made a game called Manic Miner???!?!?! Err, is that allowed?

Nice to see some respect for Matthew Smith et al. :smt009

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Man,.. I want to some of those games so bad.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

You want to what some of those games, Kev?

Play? Get hold of? Burn? Hump? :p

5. ASSEMbler

I say we do a fight club style attack on all the games companies for their betas.

6. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I'm in :smt033

7. MD

MD Guest

Is it me or does the girl on the right in the picture of Phantasy Star 1 - 1987 on the last page look a lot like grown up Arle from the Puyo Puyo games (specificially the Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon game)?

As a side note, Treco and Sammy share the same Sega developer number are these the same company or did the former by the latter?

8. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

Here's some scans of an old ass PC-Engine catalogue I had laying around:

Click me

Looking at 3rd and 5th page, you'll see pics of FX Fighter (a 3D game), a 3D version of Team Innocent, and a 3D pic of some other game. Obviously, the PC-FX doesn't do polygons, but at one point was apparently going to.

I actually sent REALLY high res scans of this stuff to Aaron Nanto about 2 years ago, but never saw them on pcenginefx.com. If there's any interest, I might translate the 2-3 pages on the "upcoming" PCFX and post it at JG.

9. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Here are some early and unreleased Saturn game screens that I found yesterday while looking through some old magazines.

SONIC XTREME
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LAST BRONX
    [​IMG]

GOIKEN MUYOU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ROCKMAN ADVENTURE
    [​IMG]

X2
    [​IMG]

Yakumo

10. GaijinPunch

I never played Goiken Muyou (or much of Last Bronx for that matter). What's different about those pics?

11. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

I'd say they're from an older version.

12. Yakumo

The Goiken Muyou pictures look nothing like the final game. The shots that I posted have backgrounds that aren't in the final game plus they look so empty. The character models also look less detailed. I'll see if I can find some pictures of the released game or maybe just do a google images search. The Last Bronks image is from an early build were they tested out the lighting and shading. The official British Sega Saturn magazine did a cool feature that showed Grace's tits from Vighting Vipers as plain ploygons, then with the lighting and finally with shading. The feature may have been in one of those saturn magazines I sold to somebody here about 4 months ago.

Yakumo

13. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Last Bronx

Yakumo, even though your Sonic X-Treme screenshots seem to be scanned, they're of a brilliant quality - thanks for sharing these! Also, footage of the Last Bronx wireframe tech demo (sadly, not direct-feed) was included on Sega Flash 4. However, I don't really know if your picture is from the arcade original or the Saturn conversion, but Official Sega Saturn Magazine posted the first Saturn images as the game - in the form of character movement demos with a wireframe background - was revealed at the same "Power Up" show that AM2 used to announce Fighters Megamix. I hope this information is of some help...

P.S. Goiken Muyou looks very similar to Anarchy In The Nippon. Is this just a co-incidence or was the game known by two different titles, one of which I have only just discovered?

14. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Re: Last Bronx

The full name of the game? Goiken Muyou Anarchy In The Nippon ;-)

15. Yakumo

Re: Last Bronx

The original pictures that I scanned those Sonic Xtereme shots from were really small but witha bit of filtering I managed to get pretty decent looking big images. The Last Bronx deno is really from the satrurn version. This shot was taken to compare the Saturn Work in Progress version to the actual Arcade. As far as I know this test screen is far earlier than the wire frame background shots that the official Sega Saturn magazine printed.

Yakumo

PS: As Anitipasta said, Goiken Muyou's full title is Goiken Muyou Anarchy The Nippon. Those early screens show different background plus I noticed that the woman is wearing a suit. she doesn't in the final game.

16. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Some pics from PSO when in development for the Dreamcast. I took them from some old videos I have laying around:

Old style talk ballons. Way different from the final version
    [​IMG]

Pics from a scene where a spaceship flies around some building:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those pics are from the florest level. The interesting bit is the background. There are some black smoke coming out from some kind of volcano. In the video it is easier too see, because we can see the smoking moving up. That would so cool if left on the game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see anything on this pic, but it is cool. It shows the Dragon boos from the florest level. The Dragon is walking to the camera and some stones are flying around, like as it breaked a stone wall.
    [​IMG]

These ones show a jungle level, but far different than the florest level.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again, different talk ballons. I can't identify where the players are in the game, because the backgrounds on these pics are not available on the final game:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This large metal thing is not available on the first PSO game, It was later revealed on PSOv2. But the pic was taken from a early footage of the game, look the different talk ballon.
    [​IMG]

That's it ;-) sorry for the bad quality pics, I have more but need to find them yet.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

PD

17. GaijinPunch

That video is still available for download on the OLD Phantasy Star site. I made a post about this on the PSO I & II Secret BBS about 2 years ago after stumbling cross it after so long. If you want to look, it's somewhere in here if you look hard enough.... really bad quality though.

Anyways, the "jungle" level is just the forest level... they just had the camera behind some leaves.

Things worth noting:

-Grass Assasin in the Forest
    -Hildebear in Forest 1 (they only come out in Forest 2 in the final game)
    -Different talk baloons as you mentioned
    -Completely different city (that's the stage you said you couldn't recognize)

18. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Last Bronx and Anarchy In The Nippon

I know that the Saturn wireframe images of Last Bronx weren't printed until after the Power Up conference in November 1996, but the video showing similar content (as seen on Sega Flash Vol. 4) predates this by a few months. I never really considered it possible that Saturn footage would appear on a disc mislabelled by Sega as being from the arcade version, but then again I've seen so many people over the years who seriously believed that the clip of VF3 was from the final Saturn build - despite the fact that work on this game wasn't even started until well after this period!

Also, thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding with the full title of Goiken Muyou Anarchy In The Nippon. I've never really been involved with the Saturn importing scene, but this game (albeit under its shorter name) has caught my attention in the past through its coverage in the pages of SSM. Once my financial situation settles down, I'm hoping to add this and some of the more obvious essential import-only releases (Metal Slug, Radiant Silvergun, Elevator Action Returns, X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, etc.) to my already sufficient PAL collection. I remember Anarchy... being described as a 3D fighter created by hardcore VF2 fans - KSS, if I'm not mistaken? - who based their character designs more on those of SNK's games with overall graphics not too far below the best AM2 quality. In my opinion, this sounds like a rather good combination and something worth investigating further.

Once again, I'd just again credit Yakumo for taking the time with those Sonic X-Treme images and making the effort to more faithfully represent the game's true appearance. I've spent far too long browsing through Sonic fan sites with small and badly-compressed magazine scans or the same old video footage. I'd also like to point out that it was great to see those early screenshots of Phantasy Star Online (with original speech bubbles), which I last saw back in the UK official Dreamcast magazine. Sadly, when I moved from my parents' house in late 2003 these were not high on my priority list and I have still yet to be reunited with them. However, I did at least get all my consoles and games, plus my entire set of SSM (though unfortunately not the CD-ROM edition of #03). Maybe one day I'll get my existing ODM collection and finally complete it as well? As it is, I'm only lacking the "The Blood Issue" and its demo disc. Being a fan of videogames always means that you're looking for something, and thankfully it looks as if I've still a long way to go in my personal quest...

19. ASSEMbler

Bump. Anyone care if these are sticky or not?

20. gamergary

gamergary Guest

Yeah this should be a sticky because a lot of people contribute and its cool to be able to see all the cool beta pics first thing.