Unreleased or beta pics (formerly beta pics)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sayin999, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

That's right Gaijin Punch. My wife takes all of our money (her's & My salary) then sorts outthe savings, food money, bills etc.. All I get is 35'000 yen per month for spends. Guess I'm lucky though since many of my Japanese friends get 20 to 30'000 a month.

Oh, thanks for the cool links too :smt023

Yakumo

2. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Hmm... wouldnt "PlayStation" be trademarked then? Nowadays companies seem to register brand/product names years in advance just to make sure, it strikes me as odd that Sony got away with using the name without a connection to Nintendo.

3. Tachikoma

Tachikoma Officer at Arms

I heard ages ago that Ninty tried to claim damages for Sony using the Playstation name, as it was indeed the final name for the SNES CD thing. The court ruled in favour of Sony though because it was them who did all the ground work on the project, and the name wasnt copyrighted at the time.

If you do a google you can find tons of information about Nintendo's court history, they seem to sue someone every week for something or another.

4. From what I remember hearing, the name 'Playstation' was registered by Yamaha. Sony decided they wanted the name and brought the rights to it from Yamaha for a rediculous amount of cash??

Or is this all lies?

5. Dex

Dex Guest

If I remember correctly, Nintendo worked with Sony to develop the CD-ROM add-on for the SNES that would be able to play SNES CD's. The deal also gave Sony the rights to produce a stand-alone machine that was compatible with SNES cartridges and CD's and possibly also another SONY propriety format.

The stand-alone machine was supposed to be called the Playstation and I think that's what's shown in that prototype pic. So the Playstation name was never meant to be the name of the CD-ROM add-on but rather Sony's own SNES-compatible system.

Nintendo probably got cold feet and withdrew from the deal as they realized Sony tried to use them to get into the videogame market. I personally think this is the main reason the SNES CD was never released rather than Nintendo's aversion to the CD-format in general.

6. TheDeathcoaster

TheDeathcoaster Game Developer

I understand...kinda like the Panisonic Q-Cube name ^_^

And about the Nintendo/Sony stuff...I thought it was something to do with Nintendo backstabbing Sony and talking Phillips about making the CD addon with them instead (which resulted in the various Nintendo brand CDI games). Sony didn't like this very much and decided to do the project on their own and cut Nintendo out of the deal.

7. Dex

Dex Guest

Yeah, I guess it could be seen as backstabbing since the deal was seen as done by Sony. I think all these announcements happened at a trade show. Sony was talking about their machine and then suddenly Nintendo held a press conference about the deal with Philips instead.

I think by this time, the Mega CD had already flopped and Nintendo no longer felt the preassure to produce a CD-machine of their own. I wonder what would've been different if they did. It's likely that Square would have produced FFVII for it, right?

8. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

I believe both of these games were unreleased.

Explode Star by Masaya
    Junction by Micronet USA. Perhaps it was released in the states?

9. Yakumo

Sorry mate but both were released. Explode Star looks very much like Trampoline Terror that was released in the US. Junction was released in Japan and the US.

Yakumo

10. GaijinPunch

I know there's one I put up there recently that wasn't... just can't for the life of me remember what the hell it was. As much as I played the Genesis back in the day as a young tike in Texas, I was kinda lower-middle class at best... means I got 3-4 game a year. Don't know much about the MD... I'll figure out one day.

11. Nintendomad

Nintendomad <h3><I><B>REST IN PEACE<BR>IN MEMORY OF<BR>A TRUE<

SFC addon

The only picture I know of that is real on the whole sfc cd addon situation is one leaked to egm and printed in one issue of their mag.It showed an adaptor that fitted into the sfc similar to the family computer one for the disk system.IT IS THE ONLY PIC TO be verified by NCL.Send that other pic to Sony and see what they say.You can also dig out all the various patents if you have the time and energy to do so.There are even patents for thinggs like adding more ram to the satellaview and stuff.

12. GaijinPunch

There's about 20 screenshots and a review of it on Japanese Gaming in the reviews section. Also two flyers of it in the flyers section.

13. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

There was a dreamcast game shown very very early on (the weeks when the first announced it) called Drones... Theres a few pictures around of it but yeah it looked cool! Ill dig some up soonish today.

Another edit... going to www.dronez.com shows that the game did come out on the pc as a tech demo with some gfx cards. Also a demo u can download. Its also coming to xbox. I have lots of pictures as good as these of the game on the dreamcast shown about the same time it was announced. Looked very good!

here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GaijinPunch

They look great, except for that stupid fucking logo that I see on just about every image on the internet --- even stuff they steal from other sites.

15. Nintendomad

Nintendomad <h3><I><B>REST IN PEACE<BR>IN MEMORY OF<BR>A TRUE<

nearly positive

I am nearly 100% that that is just an artists impression of the Super Family Computer Cd rom add on device/all in one console.
    The only real photos I ever saw leaked as I have said before are off the Ram adaptor and of the actual discs themselves in the cd caddy holders.
    The actual system saw by the same journo said it looked identical to the Satellaview but had a small gap at the front to place the CD carts.(Looked like a DD disk but with a cd inside and much thinner.)

16. virtual alan

virtual alan Officer at Arms

Missed this earlier...but I have never seen that picture.

The one that always gets shown is the one with the SNES and a disk drive underneath

[​IMG]

17. Yakumo

Here are a few shots of the Japanese or should I say the western (Never released) version of Nipenman Maru by Enix. I don't even know if this was released in Japan. I've never seen it in shops.

Just noticed that I've spelt the game's name wrong on the screen shots :Hangman:

OK, Notice that the title screen is in Japanese.
    [​IMG]

But look, the text is in English apart from a mistake on which type of text to use :smt017
    [​IMG]

In Game Shots
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All the speech is in Japanese with most of the text even the story being In English. The game also has really bad controlls with a D-Pad making the character walk backwards at times. It may be different with the NiGHTS pad.

Yakumo

18. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Yakumo, do you have the ISO of this game?

19. Yakumo

yes I do but you know the rule about links to ISO files.

Oh, by the way I added something cool to my FTP. Why not have a look?

Yakumo