Unreal - The elusive 1996 prototype

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Auction_Sniper, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Auction_Sniper

Auction_Sniper Rapidly Rising Member

Despite the amazing finds of the 1995 and 1997 betas, there is still one phase of the game's development that is yet to see the light of day...

Towards the beginning the game would have taken on a more gothic and 'Quake' like atmosphere, with the game taking place in a series of crypts, dungeons and castles. None of the artwork in these shots seemed to survive this phase of development (Save for the Big Man model that turned into the Brutes).

I can only hope that one day this version will see the light of day :gravedigging: There must be a copy sitting away in someone's junk pile, if review screenshots like this came out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtE48cpQXw

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Would be nice to see, but never assume that a copy MUST be sitting somewhere just because it existed once upon a time. Believe it or not, betas are actually akin to a chapter in a book you're not happy with - the developers would often throw them away and start again.

I've often talked to developers about beta code / unreleased games etc. and they've told me they looked in their backups and it's not where it should be.

Fingers crossed, though!

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Tapes make for great bible replacements in terms of propping up furniture.

4. TeamXlink

TeamXlink Member

I never knew how close the art style for unreal was to Quake's until I saw these screenshots.

The last screenshot looks a lot like a Shambler's body shape and the second to last looks like one of the DM maps, I forget which one.

5. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

DM1, maybe? It doesn't look much like any of the Quake deathmatch maps to me tbh.

6. Does_anyone

Does_anyone Gutsy Member

*sniff sniff..

Or does it exist? ;)

7. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Actually, I know of someone who has them, but not yet willing to share (if ever). Some of those betas were leaked by BBS back in the years. It's surprising that not many people saved them before it was all taken down, only february 98 beta and the 95 tech demo survived, but there were at least 3 more builds that were leaked. One of those groups also released Quake pre release beta, it was the same group.

They also were included in some warez CDs apparently back then, which were sold but the guy ended up in jail for selling those. Not many people have these.

8. Does_anyone

Does_anyone Gutsy Member

I'd happen to have the source to these?

9. feder

feder Gutsy Member

About that Quake Beta, wasn't that the one that had the SETUP.exe that said DOOM II instead of Quake? If so, I might have it somewhere aorund here.

10. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

It didn't have setup at all, just zipped stuff.
    Interesting, I will pm you further.

11. splith

splith Resolute Member

I've got a load of random pre-finished builds of old things on death CDs, no unreal though :(

12. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Hmm, any interesting stuff or FPS games in general there though? But yeah I am primarily looking for Unreal stuff.

13. Does_anyone

Does_anyone Gutsy Member

[​IMG]

Now to find my others :p
    Also found the editor & source of this.

On another note, found the -97 and server.

###############################################
    # Unreal, Copyright 1997 Epic MegaGames, Inc. #
    ###############################################

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  14. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

oh yup, the times of "those cds"... Blood 1 was leaked this way years before it came out, I remember seeing it in 1995. The leaked build actually wasn't really playable, but it came with all the dev tools in password protected zip files.
    Would be interesting to see that old version again and compare it to the final product.

15. Jenkins

Jenkins Spirited Member

Blood is one of my favorite games of all time! I really wish Monolith would bring up a new Blood. But Fox Interactive bought the rights, afaik... <.<

Awesome Blood fanpage: http://deathmask.net/
    (take a look at "files")

16. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

That 97 beta might be the commonly known 97-98 one, as that 95 one looks like the generally avaiable 95 alpha tech demo.

The 97-98 one can be identified by this in the log:
    Log: Compiled with Visual C++, Feb 6 1998 04:10:55

However there were many others leaked as I said, but because they wee taken down quickly only few have them. There was the 95-96 monster preview demo, 96 beta with unreal editor and 97 June or July beta. Those were the ones that were leaked and found its way onto some now rare pirate CDs.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  17. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Bump, I feel like this should require a bump. I know a lot more about the leaked builds that were on BBS and those CDs, three builds were leaked by release on rampage, including the 95 tech demo, but there was other 95 demo with monsters in it.

I have posted this elsewhere still last year, shows a research I have done on these:

18. splith

splith Resolute Member

Here's the list of stuff on the death CDs, they were all in HTML so I opened them all èn massê and just pasted into a text document. And despite nothing seeing to be alpha/beta except windows memphis :p they are, like dungeon keeper, which is the only version of DK I've ever seen anywhere that has the working F10-F12 cheats and have 'single player' in the multiplayer menu by default, and usually the AI cuts out playing after 2 minutes and they don't do anything at all. Anyway; http://pastebin.com/dWyXUTFj

19. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

yeah i remember a few of the scene warez collection discs, Im pretty sure i have one with the blood beta on it and a few others too but would have to check

20. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Any of the lost Unreal builds on it perhaps?