Unreal for PlayStation

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by mdmx, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

There wasn't a real demo of original Unreal, only shareware versions avaiable with creative cards, it was never put up to download until 2005 though, it was kind of rare, it also had three brand new deathmatch levels which didn't appear in the full game.
    The in-developement version is purely asset/running on PC, I don't think it has code to be potentially running on PSX, besides even if the project leaders still had it, they wouldn't give me the PSX hardware version and it would be like giving out a free game, this way it requires original Unreal to run at least.

Btw there are some screens on one of the designers website which is where the original video came from too, he didn't have any of the stuff anymore as it was lost in harddrive failure just few months before i contacted him:

http://www.nathansilvers.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=8

2. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Mmmmh ?
    This bump reminds me that I have an article about Unreal PSX.

Will upload.

EDIT:
    What's really interesting was that the game ( that wasn't a direct conversion of the PC game at all ) was actually restarted again from scratch around 2000.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Well originally it was to be handled by someone else but never really started I believe, (the N64 version was by DMA and I don't have much info about that one), it was restarted in early 1999 but by pterodactyl ltd. which is what this salaged content is about, but it was cancelled in early 2000 by infogrames (when they took over GT Interactive and GT Interactive had the rights for the console ports of Unreal) only with plans to make it missionpack but that never went true.
    What article is it btw?

4. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

From OUKPSM #55:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can read, it was ( supposed to be ) pushed back to November for a complete makeover.

5. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Thanks for that dude. I recognize the levels, they are the ones by the beginning of the game except one shot.

They had also hub system in some earlier versions of the levels, but beacuse HUB system isn't supported by default they dropped it and had to make the levels more linear that way, although it still isn't bad.

6. CanOfTheRelics

CanOfTheRelics Rapidly Rising Member

So, about Pterodactyl ltd, do you had some friends, contacts in there who could give a helping hand?

7. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

It was an impressive game to look at for it's time, and it would have been really interesting to see how it would have turned out on PSX. As a game though I really didn't like it.

8. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Not of the inner UK team no, only the contractors and designers who worked on it. Nick Pelling never talked to me personally too, although he talked with Matthew Kagle back when I asked for the levels. I tried contacting another guy from the Pterodactyl but failed. They did under different name the Duke Nukem playstation port too.
    One of the designers later stopped talking to me too, although he said he had the stuff still, so I wonder what's up with him. But there is a chance one of the designers will still have it(the rest of the in developement files and assets, not the PSX hardware version and I am frankly not really interested in that one becasue of the legal issues), in fact I am waiting for more, once he gets a chance to get to the files.

Here is a video I made some time ago, on the indevelopement version, I didn't show all the levels and I had to fit it all in one 10 minute video, also it was the first bunch of stuff I received, I later received some newer versions of the existing levels and some other levels I had missing (still some of the stuff remains missing, they didn't have a real file control there(except the leaders who had all the latest stuff for sure, but the lead level designer didn't have anything anymore plus other people, so that was dead end), it was just upped to a secure ftp back then, so practically I can be only sure that only the stuff of two designers at all I have latest, because the other designer had only CD stuff and not his own latest files either, becasue it turned out the old harddrive with it was broken).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHS5k-u7j_U

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  9. Delacroix

Delacroix Member

http://www.multiupload.com/391EWTGUES

These are ALL the maps and resources we've been able to recover. Update since Leo's post:
    - the designer that stopped talking to Leo eventually got convinced to give out what he had. It was not much, but it was IMPORTANT: we received a proper set of design docs, never-before-seen concept arts for the AIs and two full development trees of two his maps. For one of them it was especially worth the mention due to the fact that he started the concept several times and abandoned it, creating several distinctively different versions in the process.
    - the designer that gave us files off CD eventually fixed the hard drive and got all content from it. Multiple repetitions with what we had so far, BUT -- 300 MB (!!) of new content nevertheless and almost all missing levels are in.

The thing linked above still requires Unreal's sounds, music, textures folders as well as maps: Entry.unr and Unreal.unr from the original game. The NewGame option won't work unless you rename one of the maps to Vortex2 (I recommend latest E1L1A), but you can still use commandline or ingame console to launch the levels.

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Which version of Unreal PC should the files be pulled from? There are several.

EDIT: I think I've got a handle on this.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  11. Delacroix

Delacroix Member

Any, really. They vary mainly by System directories, so unless you're switching versions... Unreal initial release version is the best bet tho :p