Unreal for PlayStation

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by mdmx, Dec 17, 2005.

1. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

Dark Forces don't use BUILD. It run on "Jedi Engine" (something betwen Doom and Build).

I recommend this site for info on the Build Engine:
    http://advsys.net/ken/

OFF-TOPIC: Take a look at this voxel engine: http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm

2. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Oh, good old Ken Silverman - now THERE's someone who's really 1337 :nod:
    Try his voxel house where you can shoot holes in the walls and stuff... totally amazing!

3. To 'build' (pardon the pun) on what sonik said: The illustrious Dark Forces used Lucasarts' own Jedi3D engine. As mentioned before, this was fairly similar to Build, but wasn't such a bastard of a resource hog, and if I recall right, it actually had support for floors-above-floors without resorting to the scary hacks of the likes of Duke 3D or Doom 64.

4. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

And not to mention cool-looking 3D models of stuff like ships!

5. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

6. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Seems hard to believe indeed..

8. iamaduck

iamaduck Active Member

They seem to imply that they're the PS1 levels played through the PC version.

9. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Why not?The resolution in these screens looks exactly like the one used in PS1 games and there is a lot of pixelation.The video must be from the levels running on the PC.Read the whole text.

10. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I was under the impression that having an FPU was an integral part of any REAL Unreal Engine.

This is why Unreal was started not as a PC project back in the day, but for the 64DD. The PSX could have any first person shooter with unreal assets named unreal, but that don't me it a feat ;)

11. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

I downloaded the packs and used the instructions.I've been trying to load the levels using the console with no luck.Anyone knows how to load them?Btw I have Unreal Gold the one with the updated engine from Unreal Tournament if that matters.

Nevermind I changed the NPScript and it worked.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  12. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Ah, right. That makes sense. The lightning seemed too advanced for PSX to maintain a playable framerate.

13. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Old thread is old.

But I see a lot of people have mentioned all sorts of things, so I'll just add 2 cent too:

1: A lot of ports of games carry the same name and even identical looks as their counterpart, but aren't really running on the same engine (Duke Nukem 3D, anyone?)

2: The PS1 holds a lot of impressive titles. People have already mentioned Quake II (which was, although choppy, running in hi-res, iirc, more or less sported the exact same looks as the PC version, just with more load points spread out across the levels), there's Forsaken (which also ran in hi-res, which sported some impressive light effects and nice framerate, iirc) and let's not forget the streaming Soul Reaver (which I also seem to recall running in hi-res, streaming stuff, so no loading, and is quite possibly one of... if not THE best looking PS1 game) and there's also Dark Forces (with its simple Doom-like map system, sported some incredibly huge and somewhat "rich" levels)

Doing something based closely on Unreal and/or assets from it probably wouldn't be impossible. Though, it might've been impressive. Also, didn't know Giants was planned for PS1 (knew about Black & White, though.)

14. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

There was also a N64 version in the works, i cant recall the exact issue but an old issue of Nintendo Power had a little article and screenies in the Pak Watch section of that issue. On a side note, i think the PS1 could have handled Unreal.

15. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

I remember this. I think I have an OPM talking about it and Giants and Black and White.

16. Rawit

Rawit Spirited Member

The development of Unreal started on the 486 platform :nod:, I ever had a demo cd with Epic Pinball on it, that contained screenshots of "Unreal", saying it would be available soon :110: .

17. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

The Quake thing was not really true, it's just the right developer didn't get their hands on it, like Doom on the Saturn.

Quake 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYc5TC2QwAE on the PS does not look that different from the Unreal trailer to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  19. Leo(T.C.K.)

Leo(T.C.K.) Member

Sorry for the bump, but I feel the need to revive this topic for some real info. The PSX Unreal was indeed being made, but cancelled. The video on unseen64 comes from one of the developers portfolio videos, showing only his levels he has made. He has recorded the video using the developement version of PSX Unreal on software rendering, which ran on modified 220 engine build and with extra low res textures with no detail filtering and stuff (the resolution and color depth of the textures were about the same as the textures of doom) except for the skins, still on the PC though, the level designers didn't have acess to the real psx build which existed and was inhouse only. The skins on the models and stuff, including the gun were not changed or different, it is the map textures which were the low res and I beleive in the PSX hardware version the skins were changed internally to low res versions too. They did run it well on the psx hardware though, from the reports.

The levels some of you have played are simply personal unfinished remakes of Matthew Kagle's levels from the PSX version, using normal textures instead, although he has not rescaled everything right in those, making the maps look a bit odd and his maps were notably one of the more low poly ones.

SegaFreak, do you know what cybernet episode that was? The programme was worldwide and I do remember watching it over here as well, but not that one episode. I remember an episode where they showed early version of Unreal or something though.

Also there was a promotional screenshot and artwork being on one website, that stuff is long lost though, http://www.bluesnews.com/s/3178/playstation-unreal-shot

Also, I have managed to recover most of the game content, the indevelopement versions, I have contacted all the designers who worked on the game except one, who couldn't be contacted anymore.
    Sadly most of them didn't have anything anymore or only part of the content, still 70 percent of the game was actually recovered and maybe there is more to come in future, although the chances are not that high.

I am working on a remake also, retexturing the maps and finalizing them and making it all form a mappack for the original game, one map was already finalized and have been put up for download.

This is an example one of the final maps from the game under a facelift by me, using normal res textures instead:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  20. Shambler

Shambler Member

Wow! I remember getting the original Unreal on PC (as a demo) and it blew me away! I would have hardly expected it would be possible to run on a PSX! These in development versions you speak of, do they actually have any code/build that could potentially run on a PSX? Or are they purely assets? Either way that's fantastic!