Unreal for PlayStation

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by mdmx, Dec 17, 2005.

1. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

Unreal was announced for PlayStation. I can remember that I had read about it in a PlayStation magazine. Later it was cancelled due to unknown reasons.

Unfortunately I never saw any screenshots :( Did the conversion of the game ever started or was it just a rumour?

2. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

I seriously doubt the Playstation could've done anything with Unreal. As I recall, they had a hell of a time getting Quake/Quake II to run on it. Unreal is a monster compared to those two.

I did read somewhere that it was supposed to be released for the Dreamcast or PS2. I don't remember where, though.

3. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Its out on the Dreamcast.

4. cahaz

cahaz Guardian of the Forum

unreal tournament is out on ps2 and dreamcast, but not unreal.

Unreal was suposed to be a 64dd tittle too.

5. joehax

joehax Robust Member

Half-Life made it to the dreamcast too :D

off topic i know :p

6. Claysion

Claysion Guest

There still are a few fan made servers to play unreal and quake III online on dreamcast.

7. Sometimes companies just announce titles that really aren't in the works, especially when they aren't supported by actual screenshots. Giants was supposedly 50% complete for the PlayStation but when I contacted the developer, they told me that was total BS. At the time US Official PlayStation Magazine printed that article, the developer was still working on the PC version, plus they never owned a PSX dev kit, plus when they ported it to the PS2 they admitted the PS2 barely had enough power to do it.

8. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

Giants for the PS1? unbelievable. I saw the PS2 version, it doesn't look very well. They also announced Messiah and Black & White for the old PSX. These games are too complex for the Playstation1.

But Unreal could be possible. Look at Quake II, Delta Force or the two MoH games.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  9. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

Not to throw this too far off-topic, but I know I saw screenshots of Black and White on the Playstation. They were extremely ugly...

As for Quake II, I don't know how they made that happen. It looks horrible, but as I recall it didn't play that badly (I owned the game for about a week).

As I see it, Unreal would've been possible on the Playstation 2, but most certainly not on the Playstation.

10. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

I think Quake II looks very nice on the good old psx. ok, not as good as the pc version ;-)

But that's a problem with all 1st person shooters on every video game system.

11. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

Well if you guys doubted the PSX could handle Unreal 1 engine, then keep in mind that a studio was able to port the whole Quake2 engine onto the PSX. So, if they were able to do that, then maybe the unreal was possible.

12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I can see unreal, but it's not going to be the exact engine. No more than quake 2 was.

13. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

I see a video of Unreal PS1 in Cyber Net (program in SuperStation channel here in Brazil).
    They say it was running on a real PS1.
    As far as I can remember, the graphics are ok and the frame-rate was fast.

14. The thing is, though, that the Unreal engine is a LOT heftier than Quake 2, and there was still a lot of work that had to be done in scaling back Quake 2 for the PSX and N64, including a lot of the engine having to be flat-out rewritten for the machines. The colored lighting effects were exclusive to the console versions, and ended up looking really, REALLY good. The Unreal engine was a lot closer in power and performance to Quake 3 than Quake 2 - no mean feat, to be able to compete with Carmack for 2 games while running the same engine.

15. Sally

Sally Guest

I seem to remember thinking back in the day that unreal would be running on a modified Duke Nukem engine... I don't know if that's right or not, as i don't remember why i think that.

16. Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Blood were the only commercial games as far as I know (may have been 1 or 2 more, I can remember) that ran on the Build engine. Build was essentially a slightly modified Doom engine: It could handle things like sloped terrain and floors above floors, but all of the ingame enemies and items were still sprites. The Unreal Engine (as far as I know, that's its name) was developed by Epic exclusively for the original Unreal and featured all sorts of fancy effects the Build engine could only dream of - colored lighting in software rendering, lens flares, volumetric fog, true sloped surfaces, and a ton of other things I can't list from memory.

17. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

It was probably unreal in name only. No more than URBZ on ds was close to the pc version.

18. Funkstar De Luxe

Funkstar De Luxe Fiery Member

I don't see the problems here. Like Assembler said, it's not the PC game running on the PSX. Jesus, you could convert Unreal Tournament 2004 to the Gameboy if you wanted.

19. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

If anything, I think it looked a lot like the Quake engine. That's what I think when I look at early Unreal screenshots, anyway. I'm pretty sure they built their engine from the scratch.

As a side note: The final game was gorgeous. [​IMG] Now if only I could find a decent Glide wrapper to use with it...

20. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Hmm, come to think of it, didn't good ole' Dark Forces also run on some sort of BUILDesque engine?

And BUILD is VERY different from Unreal-like engines. Basically, BUILD is 2D (or 2.5D) just like Doom, but instead of X & Y you have X & Z (i.e., the terrain is flat, no floors can be 'above' each other - I know, Duke 3D could do this, but it was a very nasty hackjob)