Unreal Engine 3 PS Vita Source Code

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by udkultimate, Nov 10, 2016.

1. udkultimate

udkultimate Rapidly Rising Member

Hello friends,

Sometime ago, with the help of a lot of folks, from various websites (PS4 News, BetaArchive, NGP foruns), I was able to put to work one very old Unreal Engine 3 Source Code which leaked in May 2011. I was able to compile the source code, fix some errors it has, because the original leaked Source Code was not complete, was missing some ini files and the Xbox360 Unreal Engine Shaders (*.usf) to be able to compile UDK Engine for Xbox360. So I did rip and edit these ini files from another Xbox360 game created in Unreal Engine, Deadlight (by my luck, the developers did forget the original usf xbox360 shader files inside the PC Game Folder. So I was able to make a custom version of UDK Engine (Unreal Development Kit) which exports your game for Xbox360 (RGH/JTAG) and PS3 (Rebug CFW). Which means, I was able to turn UDK into the first Free 3D Game Engine for Consoles!

Here is the showcase video of UDK Ultimate Engine running on a RGH Xbox360:

Porting UDK Engine for PS3 was a pain in the *****ss. It was a trully pain to configure the PS3 SDK (3.00), because the Unreal Engine 3 Source Code needs a very specific setup of the folders from the PS3 SDK (you need to copy some files to specific locations and setup some environment variables). I only discovered this by trial and error and cheking the Visual Studio 2008 Error logs. But in the end I was able to compile the UDK Engine for PS3, the only problem is that the resulting eboot.bin is a debug eboot and only run on my friends PS3 Devkit, and aswell on Rebug CFW 4.78 using DEX mode. I tried a lot of resigners but no one did work to make it a retail eboot.bin.

But now, as long as finally PS Vita has a Custom Firmware, and the Vita Scene ressurrected by the hands of the comunity, after being killed by Sony`s hand, I think it would be awesome to have a free engine like UDK for making homebrew games for Vita. Imagine how many cool games could be created for Vita by the hands of such creative comunity!!!

I know Unreal Engine 3 received Vita Support on 2012, however, I never knew that such build was ever leaked, and if someone has it and is willing to share. So here I come, asking, if is there anyone who has or knows someone who has the Unreal Engine 3 Source Code for PS Vita?

If I get my hands on this, I can compile (because I have Vita SDK) and then add Vita Support on UDK Ultimate.

I even applied for getting a Sony Developer ID (I meet all their requirements), but the problem is if even being a registered Playstation Developer, EPIC does not license UE3 anymore, only UE4. I contacted them, but they dropped support for UE3 this year of 2016. There are some guys and studios still using Unreal Engine 3 because they have got a license before EPIC discontinue UE3. So they are only alowed to finish these games they are working on, after they release their games, they won`t be allowed to continue to using UE3 for releasing any game. I talked with Joe Kreiner, the man responsible about Unreal Engine Licenses.

I even tried contacting some studios which developed PS Vita games on UE3, but none of them answered my emails (if they ever did read them!!!)

Any help and ideas?

Voxel Studios, jakeeeenator and pato like this.
  2. LainPW

LainPW Rapidly Rising Member

EPIC made UE3 free? Because if not you're in for a world of legal hurt. You wouldn't be able to use it commercially then either.

I am sure there are free 3D engines that work on consoles anyway. Cool project, but unless I'm misunderstanding, I don't think you should pursue it further.

3. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

As LainPW said, this is pretty dangerous to deal with Licenced and commercial softwares. Even if you have modified a part of the SDK, most of the code is still under Unreal Copyright (I am even not sure if talking about a such thing is allowed on this Forum).

Also, I tought Unreal engine was free (at least the last engine) and you have to pay only when you sell your game (like fees or royalties). In this case, what is the main goal of your modded engine ?

LainPW likes this.
  4. LainPW

I assume we can talk about it here, just not distribute or post code snippets.

kennypecheur likes this.
  5. udkultimate

I talked with EPIC, I even showed this project for them, I explained to them that my intention is just to create free homebrew games for Xbox 360 and PS3 using UDK Engine. They said is ok, I just must not share any source code for Unreal Engine 3, or any console SDK files.

I have pre compiled and embeded all the dll files needed for exporting the game for Xbox360 and PS3, so there is no need for the final user install any console SDK file, and I am not sharing any console file of Unreal Engine 3. I am sharing exactly the same files included in the official UDK Engine Release, the only difference is that the UDKGame.exe has embeded support for exporting a game to Xbox360 and PS3.

If you download UDK Ultimate Engine (I can provide link if anyone has interest), there are 2 folders, 2 games templates, one game template for Xbox360 and other for PS3. All you have to do is just open UDK Editor, create your map, import your models, animations, scripts, then you cook your map and assets using my modified UnrealFrontend.exe (select the profile you want, PC, Xbox360 or PS3). Then you just get the cooked folders and files, copy them to the game template folder, then copy it to your Ps3 or Xbox360 HD, and play.

I now want to do it for PS Vita aswell.

BadSpencer1986 likes this.
  6. LainPW

So what you're doing is creating a template that can be distributed for use with UE3 to make a Vita game? Well, that might be OK if it's all 100% original code, none of theirs.

Still, I'd get it in writing off EPIC! One customer service rep might not have the same opinion as the lawyers.

7. udkultimate

The main objective of my modified UDK Engine is allow anyone create FREE HOMEBREW GAMES for Consoles (PS3 and Xbox360). Now I want to add PS Vita Support asweel, so anyone can create FREE HOMEBREW GAME for PS VITA.

kennypecheur likes this.
  8. udkultimate

In resume, I am not sharing Unreal Engine 3, I just modified UDK Engine (the free version) by adding PS3 and Xbox 360 support, so whilst using the original UDK Engine you can only export a game for PC and iOS, by using UDK Ultimate Engine, you can export a game for PC, iOS, PS3 and Xbox360. Now I want to add PS Vita Support. ;)

9. kennypecheur

I have to admit that your will to allow people to develop homebrews for PSVita is a great idea, as I really like this sytem.

But I am really not sure if any software which include Microsoft or Sony libraries and stuffs like this can be shared freely.

10. udkultimate

But even by using UDK Ultimate Engine, the user will never be able to sell the games, first because it is not allowed to sell console games without Sony`s and Microsoft`s authorization, and other because they are homebrew games, they don`t run on retail console, only on modded consoles wich can run homebrew apps and games.

11. udkultimate

It`s because this i came here asking for help.

12. kennypecheur

Can't help a lot on this, sorry. But @PixelButts may help you, as he knows the PS Vita system very well.

13. LainPW

I wish you luck bud, it's a noble idea. I just hope you don't get ganged by lawyers because of a free project. Stay safe! What you're doing might be morally right, but I'm not sure it's legal.

DS2 and kennypecheur like this.
  14. udkultimate

Thanks bro for carrying about me. Don`t worry, I already have taken the measures, I am not stupid, I am not sharing anything which is protected by copyrights. If you see my download files of UDK Ultimate Engine, is exactly the same files of original UDK Engine (Unreal Development Kit), just some exe files are modded by me (recompiled them to add consoles support).

But the problem is where can I get the PS Vita Source code for UE3 to me recompile it and add Vita support for UDK Engine. :(

15. pato

pato Resolute Member

For those who doesn't know, UDK is not the full version of UE3, it's actually an standalone version of the UT3 editor with game modes and updates, it doesn't come with source code, the programming language is either .uc or Kismet, so you had to deal with the available .uc in the engine if you wanted to modify something, but it was not complete as the UE3 which you receive the source code and et cetera.

16. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

As a small heads up the Vita SDK you have is 0.945. That's an insanely old one to be using. It will still work but it's dangerously old.

kennypecheur likes this.
  17. udkultimate

I know is old, but I think it will work, because, the UE3 Source Code for PS3 was only compiled with the old PS3 SDK 3.00 (the SDK 4.00 was avaiable on that time).

The problem is where to grab UE3 PS Vita Source Code.

Regards.

18. BadSpencer1986

BadSpencer1986 Rising Member

It sounds very good! If you release it, give a touch. :)

19. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Wow, ethan great moves, keep it up, proud of you!

-doulomb

LainPW likes this.
  20. mairsil

mairsil Officer at Arms

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Epic said what you are planning to do is "OK"; perhaps they misunderstood your intentions. They are under contract/NDA with the console developers and are not allowed to release the console-specific source code to the public. In turn, they are not allowed to say that people who end up getting the source code can use it. Will they go after you if you keep it homebrew/free? Probably not.