Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. fry76

fry76 Member

Hi everyone,

New firmware :)

Changelog:

• CCD parser properly detects CD-ROM XA on multisession discs
    • CCD images with scrambled tracks will now work (with small speed penalty)
    • CCD and CDI images with multiple track indexes are no longer rejected
    • Added subchannel scanning for MCN/ISRC data (can be disabled in INI file)
    See ya

Ps: Anyone fan of dreamcast in Hong Kong? If yes plz PM.

2. tyser

tyser Newly Registered

can anyone comment on sdxc cards? the first post says they aren't supported but people are able to use them according to the compatibility list. are they fine, then?

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

It's not officially supported, so don't complain to deunan of it doesn't work, but many members use them without problems.

I use a pny 64 GB without issue. I think sandisk ones do some kind of maintenance than cause delay than males them not work from time to time.

Using gditools and rebuild gdi you can shrink gdis to take less space too, to fit more games on a given sdcard. The amount of space saved depends greatly on the game though.

4. NightbreedUK

NightbreedUK Rising Member

As FamilyGuy says - SDXC are not officially supported, but many SDXC cards do work if formatted to Fat32 - so it's just a gamble really.
    Deunan indicates that cards should have low random access latency as cards will suffer issues on higher latency.

As for compatibility lists - you can get good cards and bad cards in the same batches so I tend to ignore them.
    If I remember correctly FamilyGuy has had trouble with SanDisk - yet I have never had a SanDisk card fail on me so I only use them (guess it's more "go with what you know" or just trust your own judgement)
    There are many fake SanDisk cards though so if using them I would recommend buying from a reputable dealer.
    Deunan himself has said to stay away from Transcend cards - yet many GDEMU owners use them without issues, so as you can guess there are no guarantees.

5. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Updated front post.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

I have updated my test result in #7.
    Highly recommend NOT purchase one of the brand/model once marked as working in my post.

I apologize to member who purchased it via referencing my test result.

7. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

All Transcend cards were known to be garbage and not recommended for GDEmu prior to you posting that anyway. My first card that I bought for GDEmu was also Transcend, I switched to Samsung and never had any problems with those. Samsung SD cards (and flash drives) have some of the best random read speeds of any flash memory. The GDEmu problem is caused when a read takes too long, so anything with good random read speeds is generally a good card.

I think I mentioned this back when I ran into the same problem, you can temporarily "fix" a Transcend card. Just use CrystalDiskMark to run a few random read benchmarks on it. For whatever reason, benchmarking the card will make it faster again and GDEmu will work fine. My Transcend card got so bad that it would only work for a minute or two before GDEmu would stop reading it and the light would come on, but benchmarking the card (with absolutely no changes to the images I had on it) caused it to work just fine again for a week or so until I got a Samsung card.

The one thing I don't like though is that GDEmu just gives up and fails if the card is too slow. A real GD-Rom drive can have disc read issues, why couldn't he simulate a disc read problem so the game could try again or display an error instead of just completely locking up GDEmu so you have to restart the DC?

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

There's a limited amount of logic gates on a fpga, maybe he had to choose between a variable timeout or more features.

9. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Thanks for the updated. Updated the first post.

10. dragonUninstall

dragonUninstall Member

So I've run into a possibly related bug. I'm using a Samsung 128GB EVO Micro SDXC (formatted to FAT32). The card will load GDMenu fine, and you can scroll around the list of games for a while, but eventually (after about a minute or so of scrolling around), the whole system will lock up (can't move through the menu, can't launch a game, need to power cycle). If you choose and launch a game before it locks up, the game will launch and generally play fine (though I've seen instances where some game audio won't play properly). I'm using GDMenu 0.5.3 and GDEmu firmware 5.13.0

Is this the kind of behavior that "bad" or "incompatible" cards will exhibit?

11. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Latest version of GDEMU SD CARD MAKER

12. Wizball

Wizball Member

Is this the card you were referencing?

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Per...ie=UTF8&qid=1452831574&sr=8-1&keywords=pny+64

13. -=FamilyGuy=-

14. ShadowofBob

ShadowofBob Member

Just wanted to say that I got mine running about a month ago. Am currently using a 256GB PNY SD card model P-SDX256U1H-GE.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF90EZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    Formatted to FAT32 and it works great. Only annoying part of having 150+ games is that there is no way to jump 10+ items at a time or scroll down the list then make a selection. That and having to shuffle VMUs around with all my saves.

Install of GDEmu went very smoothly and I used a 300ohm 1/2w resister on the 12v rail and GND of the DC PSU to keep things cool. I also added a paper duct to create a more sealed area from the PSU to the fan like the original GD drive did.

[​IMG]
    More at http://imgur.com/a/AXCLy

15. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

I think remembering someone worked on an airflow barrier to print in 3D, is anybody has news about that?

16. imagremlin

imagremlin Newly Registered

Hello everyone.
    I’ve been having trouble with one particular game, others run fine. Its Power Stone, it just freezes after a while. Seems audio related as sometimes there is no music and a couple times it came back sans music after a few minutes, only to hang for good about a minute later
    I’m using a 32Gb Sandisk card.
    Deunan warns against using images captured using the swap method, so I’m wondering if that may be the issue. Is it possible to identify those?

EDIT: Checking today, after the game froze, the led was blinking. The pattern was tree blinks in rapid succession a small pause and repeats

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. -=FamilyGuy=-

The problem could be the sd-card. Those sandisk ones are known to perform some kind of maintenance that causes them to work badly with gdemu.

18. jack oneil

jack oneil Member

Hello

It has been one moment since I read your forum and I decided to join.
    I have a problem with Power Stone the whole with the same described symptoms.
    I made all the updates until 5.10 and I 2 cards SD (32 Gb and 64 Gb) Sandisk.
    I do not think that it results from the card SD because I tested 90 in 100 games in GDI without any problem and only Power Stone bug in a regular way.
    Anybody else could test this game (set,play) to have information ?
    PS:je am not good at English sorry

Jack Oneil

imagremlin likes this.
  19. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

Download GDROM Explorer 1.6.2 here:
    http://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/5889.html
    And open your GDI image,GDROM Explorer will check if there is track overlap problem.

20. TacT

TacT Member

Does that resistor really help the 12v and keep the psu cooler? I don't really have a problem anymore. I like your duct work there, if you notice most of the air from the back vent was designed to go underneath the gd drive and above the cooling plate for the cpu/gpu so I assumed the psu didn't get much airflow to begin with. but here's what I did I happened to have the perfect fan on an old small graphics card.
    WP_20150911_19_37_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20150826_10_35_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20150909_08_06_01_Pro.jpg