Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

spaming? really im sorry to hear that. all I tried is to gather people to continue what we did here in another site. if this site goes out. hope not.

2. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

I appreciate you saying that (dcemulation.org is my site) -- if members do choose to migrate discussion to there (after all, most of you have an account already) I can say that I will do everything within my power to accommodate you (restructuring forums if necessary, making the wiki more open for all, etc.). Failing that, there is obscuregamers that is looking to replace AssemblerGames as well.

Dreamcast likes this.
  3. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Is obscure gamers the same website released some year ago or a completely new one? I can't seem to login with my username I registered back then.

4. darcagn

it's the same people but a new installation of the forum. I couldn't log in with my username either, I had to make a new one

5. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Anyone else having issues running GDEmu SD Card Maker v1.10 ?

I keep getting a NET. Runtime error: '#Error: System.BadImageFormatException'
    I guess this might be because my NET Framework is updated to the latest version also I'm running on Windows 10.
    I even tried redownloading GDEmu SD Card Maker v1.10 and it does the same thing.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

i can launch it fine also on windows 10 latest build. i needed to put it on exclusion list on bit defender antivirus

Spec likes this.
  7. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Thx for the feedback. Yes, I made sure about all AV proggy's to exclude the .exe of the SD Card Maker, although... It seems to be working now. I guess something was up with windows or whatever since last boot.

8. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

I'm making a LIST.INI builder for my batch gdmenu builder but don't know where "vga" comes from. I'm guessing somewhere in the block of hex digits after region. Anyone know?

9. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

I was looking for a tray but couldn't find anything that had everything I wanted so made a new one. This is a rough first draft that got shifted towards the end but still fits in the important parts and works for testing. I wanted something that snaps in from the top instead of screws in from the bottom. And a battery clip was a must. I'm using a CR2032 with a rectifier but it could be a LR with a charging circuit or am ML with nothing. There's also a clip inside the connects to the internal battery. Not sure if this is a good long term solution but figured I'd give it a try. The SD and battery clip mount are printed because I didn't have anything laying around that was short enough to mount vertically. And I wanted micro SD, mostly because it's not the 90's

[​IMG]

Teddy Rogers likes this.
  10. jhmiller

jhmiller Member

Position 0x4D of the Track 1 or Track 3 is the identifier of the VGA.
    If it is "1" ("31") then YES, the game support VGA.
    If it is "0" ("30") then it does not support VGA.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 6:20 AM
  11. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

Thanks. I suspected that was it based on comparing a few games. By any chance do you have more details on the peripherals data? It's relatively large chunk of data and I imagine it might have interesting info.
    Everything I've checked has this on track 3. But that might just be because of the way my dumps were done. Any idea why that is? I would have thought this stuff would be in a fixed location as it's probably the first thing the console reads. I did consider the possibility that it might not always be in track 3 and wrote something to get the list of files from the gdi and check for "SEGA SEGAKATANA" and use that as a start but I'm not using it.

Would anyone be interested in the scripts I made? They're just a few dozen lines of bash glue that convert, shrink, sort and generate a LIST.INI and disc.cdi from a specific set of dumps from/to hard coded locations. But they work very well for that and could easily be adapted for other uses. They work on Windows if you have all the dependencies. It also has an option to convert the menu to Sentence Case, just in case you're not in a DOS 8.3 mood.

12. darcagn

Peripherals data is defined here: http://mc.pp.se/dc/ip0000.bin.html

tracks 1 and 2 are the low density tracks read in a PC drive. They can be discarded, the real game data starts at track03 as the high density part of the GD-ROM starts with track03. You definitely will ALWAYS find this data there on every single disc in existence.

However, while the track03 header is the 'real' copy of this information, it should also be repeated in track01 as well.

I'd be interested. Not everyone uses Windows so perhaps it can be cleaned up and released as an alternative for Mac/Linux users.

13. abveost

abveost Peppy Member

Again, thank you so much. I probably spent half an hour googeling for that information and and came up with bupkis. Also good to know I can rely on the header being in track 3. I'll set up a git repo for the scripts. They should run on OSX. I didn't even consider that Mac users are probably SOL when it comes to an SD maker. As are all the windows users who get unhandled exception errors with the closed source SD card maker.