Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, the speed thing is definitely an issue. And yeah, I heard of a few special cases where he honored a few fixes and returns here and there. But from my understanding all sales are final for the most part with him which is sad because I know he is struggling to get them out in the first place, but IMHO I would have liked to see him partner with Stoneage gamer or something and work out a manufacturing deal and keep costs down. Him monopolizing everything bit him in the ass after his device was reverse engineered by the Chinese.

I honestly believe that we could maybe get firmware updates edited specifically to work on the clones. It was my understanding they had to add a few hacks here and there just to get the firmware working on these clones. So that is usually the reason why official firmware's don't work on them. So who knows if the cloners might decide to put out their own firmware updates in the future, or the community does it?

LuizNai likes this.
  2. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rapidly Rising Member

That's a pretty big nerf if he gimps the transfer rate. Hopefully you'll be able to put a text file in the directories of games that you want to keep the fast speed, or something. It's one of the best things about GDEMU on the games that allow it.

Anthony817 and LuizNai like this.
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

At least a toggle in the main ini file. I want to keep my fast transfers!

4. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

i think even if the fw it self slow down the transfer speeds and there is no way to have a ini file to select stock or high data transfer. it will still be faster than gdrom. its an sd card not a cd so no seek and read. although a ini file would be the best if happents

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

I'm pretty sure the reason the clones can't be updated is because when the clones came out, they were using the latest code, and he simply edited his updates so that they don't run on clones anymore.

6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

From what I was told when it was explained to me, the different chips and some other small differences meant the firmware they install on it needed to be hacked on the clone creators end to work. This is supposedly the case with most other clone devices people were disussing on Reddit.

Also, the clones use a different Atmel chip than the officials as well. Here you can see the numbers are slightly different.

[​IMG]

LuizNai likes this.
  7. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Looks like Rhea is cloned too (hardware level) but they're having difficulty with the firmware, due to strange encryption they cannot crack based on the chinese to english translation, yet tbh you need a native speaker, as the google translations are piss poor.

LuizNai likes this.
  8. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Rapidly Rising Member

That's hardly surprising. Deunan surely will make all future firmwares more difficult to clone in light of GDEMU being copied almost perfectly.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

May I ask where this news is coming from? I searched around on Google but can find nothing from the term "Saturn Rhea Clone".

LuizNai, sa1 and darcagn like this.
  10. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

You won't find it easily on Google. It was on a Chinese FB page of a Gdemu Clone seller.

LuizNai and Anthony817 like this.
  11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Perhaps a link would be appreciated by others looking to check it out? I deleted FB last year so I can't see it anyways, but I am sure others would like to give it a look.

I wonder which will come out first, the clones for Rhea, or the Satiator? My money would be on the clones.

12. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Link is here and was posted on the 19th May 2019 = https://www.facebook.com/PS2NetBox2018/

You'll need a good translator or a chinese native speaker to translate the posts to English.

I follow his page since I own a PS2netbox for my PS2 slim and everything has been legit in the past when it came to new info on clones before they were released.

13. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

And these are the differences (Atmel specs document)

ATSAM3U4E (clone)
    2 x 128 Kbytes Dual plane (FLASH)
    52 Kbytes (SRAM)

ATSAM3U2E (original)
    128 Kbytes Single plane (FLASH)
    36 Kbytes (SRAM)

All other specs are the same.

It makes sense that flashing the original firmware on the clone will brick it, it has double the amount of flash memory in two banks.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  14. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

So this means the clone has "better" specs?

good likes this.
  15. gtsamour

Yeah it seems so... these better specs make the official firmware unfit for flashing to the clone though....
    I'm not a programmer but how hard can it be to modify it in order to be suitable for flashing to a clone....

16. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

It looks like the new "5.15B" revisions (metal SD card slots) are using the original ATSAM3U2E now.

Anthony817 likes this.
  17. gtsamour

Has anyone confirmed a successful fw flash?

Anthony817 likes this.
  18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Very interesting find! I wonder if it is possible to dump the firmware from the clones to take a look at the different changes done to the code? This could be key in trying to get updated firmware working in the future.

19. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

to everyone here. this site will close in 30 days from now. I really wish this not to happened. where are we gona talk about dramcast? my suggestion dreamcast talk.

20. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

@truemaster1 - Please make a new thread and stop spamming this in the top threads in this sub forum. If the members here that are interested should continue the conversation anywhere, since this is a technical sub forum, it should be dcemulation.org.