Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Christ! Please ignore the random letters and messages sometimes. For some reason this site barely functions when i type on my phone, and I have no reason why.

What i tried to say. We have free 3d printing at the college, once i figure out how to use/do it, ill print a couple and see how they do

2. FirebrandX

FirebrandX Member

I made the mistake of buying one of those and it was shoddy garbage. There's nothing holding the extension reader in place, so it pushes right through and falls out, the design didn't even come close to fitting my lid, and some of the holes weren't even fully drilled. I demanded a refund with how shoddy it was. Then later I got one of the deep bay print designs and it fit perfectly. I prefer it.

NavK and Anthony817 like this.
  3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Well then I guess I know which one I am getting in the future! Thanks for the heads up man!

4. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

I agree with FireBrandX, avoid it. That design has nothing to hold it in place so you would have to glue it to the inside lip of the case. Also the extension cable with SD card holder has nothing to secure it too. You need to glue everything in place.

If the design had mounts that extended to the GDEMU card to help keep it secure it might be deemed okay and sufficient to use.

@FirebrandX what design did you end up going with?

Ted.

5. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Hello fellow Dreamcast enthusiasts. I'm glad to see more activity on this thread as it has been awhile since I've noticed until now. Anyway, I noticed some of you are talking about the 3D molds for our wonderful GDEmu's. I have the one where you can store other SD cards inside of it and I got it printed at my city library for free, all I had to do was bring the file which I downloaded from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1585333

I also noticed you talking about this one, but I myself never tried it, although I know you can purchase one from here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/W...mu-dreamcast-includes-reset?optionId=60719663

Here's pic's of my Dreamcast and the GDEmu mold. :)

Attached Files:

MastaG, Anthony817 and Greg2600 like this.
  6. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

Greg2600 likes this.
  7. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Wow, hadn't seen these before. The problem is many ppl like me would rather pay for a finished solution, that is printed, with all the screws. The offerings on Ebay are currently the only ones that do that. I do feel like the ideal one would be like the one I initially posted where you have "walling" around the GDEMU to restore the original airflow, plus a screw-tighted SD reader extension.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    LuizNai and Anthony817 like this.
  8. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Active Member

Hey guys, I'm having a problem. I finally got around to using @madsheep gdemu_sd once again since the last update/fix. Everything seems to be working for renaming/alphabetical sorting all the GDI images within the program, however, it is not so on GDmenu. The titles are sorted alphabetically but It has the old pre-edited naming scheme. I even plugged it back into my PC to make sure the naming scheme I setup was still there, and it was. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Also, while trying to figure out this mess, I noticed that a few games that had been for sure working are now broken. Cannon Spike and Carrier to name a couple. I did also update the GDEMU firmware to v5.15 before doing the whole gdemu_sd setup again. So now I can't be certain what is causing the broken games.

I thought coming back after almost a full year and reading through 28 pages of this thread and spending countless hours researching would benefit me in being able to achieve my goal of having everything working correctly. Boy was I wrong! LOL. I'm so fed up with this thing I'm about to say screw it.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

@-=FamilyGuy=- glad to see your still working on making your tool easier for the end user! Once I figure out this situation I plan on giving GDIshrink a shot considering rebuildGDI broke quite a few games. If I'm able to get it down I would be glad to help you with some testing if needed. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    -=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  9. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

what's the latest version of the sd card maker? the download link in OP doesn't work (xxx.biskoto.gr does not resolve), I have 1.04 but the OP also mentions a 1.05 changelog, any help appreciated

10. Night-Dweller

http://sheep.host22.com/GDEMU_SD.rar

11. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

What version is this, on linux atm so can't run the app, I notice this one scans as fully clean, I downloaded a copy off some french site yesterday that showed some heuristic alerts on virustotal :\

12. Night-Dweller

This is version 1.10 I believe. ImI not sure if it works on Linux. I think he released the source code to someone in the past so they could make a version for Linux but Idk what happened with that.

13. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

Thanks, this one looks clean, whatever copy of '1.10' I had gotten previously popped for a ton of trojan results on virustotal -_-, the original post really needs an update

14. Night-Dweller

Yeah I couldn't agree more. It would be great to have everything sticky'd on the 1st page when updated. Probably links to pages for each specific program with tutorials and FAQs would be a nice setup also.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I used the Linux version, IIRC it has less features than the Windows one, but it's good at building the list and generating a GDMenu cdi.

You might have to copy games yourself and update the GDMenu binaries manually.

I think the link is in @madsheep's signature.

16. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

pardon my additional questions, but does the 'high_speed' option work on a clone, if I add it to my gdemu INI my system just reports no disc inserted til I remove the line back out, not sure if it's because the clone doesn't implement the feature at all / properly, or if it's because I'm using an SDXC card rather than SDV2 / SDHC that are referenced in the official firmware changelog

edit: Also, I've noticed GDMenu SD Card Maker doesn't seem to populate the game titles automatically for me consistently, is there some trick to getting it to properly fill in the title names in it's menu? If I double click the game it shows me it knows the title from the disc, but I'd like it to auto populate the name column if it can?

double edit: it seemed to finally populate the titles after a couple loads, doesn't seem to consistently do it though, wish sourcecode was available.

in GDMenu I notice that some of my games cause a crash when it is loading the disc artwork on certain titles, anybody else experienced this?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  17. zero35

zero35 Member

several questions about gdmenu
    1.where are gdmenu homepage?
    2.known if gdmenu set IGR to off,press A+B+X+Y+start will return dreamcast bios screen,but this seem conflict with some builtin IGR games,for example Super Robot Taisen Alpha for DC,when i try to press L+R+A+B+X+Y+start for gameself builtin IGR,it still return dreamcast bios screen,this is very annoying,because i just want restart game not return dreamcast bios screen!how disable gdmenu return dreamcast bios IGR combo ?so i hope add disable gdmenu return dreamcast bios IGR combo feature
    thanks

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

When I do IGR every time, no matter what, it always takes me X2 to enter the combo for it to take me back to GDMENU. So I have to hit it once to go back to main screen, and then again at main screen to get back into the menu.

GDMENU doesn't really have any home page sadly, and we haven't heard from the creator since 2017. I did try to reach out to him in an email back in August 2018, but never got any kind of reply. I have started to fear something has maybe happened to him unfortunately.

zero35 likes this.
  19. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

yeah, it would be nice if someone could post available source if able, I think someone was working on customizations to the menu code but not sure where that's at

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

There is no released source unfortunately. That was the whole reason I was trying to get a hold of Neuroacid to ask if he could make it open sourced so we could have the ability to let the community update it and add features. However, I found an old post of Neuroacid's where he said the cheat code feature was already in the last release of the menu, it was just disabled. But thanks to detective work by mrneo240 he found it indeed was already in the released build, but not enabled. He also was modding the menu too but then he decided to start work on his own menu that is open sourced.

But you can actually see the cheat code menu in my post here. Hopefully we can get a hacked version that re-enables it.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/unofficial-deunans-gdemu-thread.57247/page-50#post-983617

truemaster1 likes this.