Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

I know it doesn't help but here's a video from turning on the Dreamcast to gdmenu without touching the controller.

https://streamable.com/90ax3

Card is 64gb with 55 games.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

If you suspect that the problem is a game, I'd suggest to first simply extract the list.ini from the CDI in the 01 folder and check it thoroughly.
    Chances are that a game title/info has illegal/non-ascii characters and that's messing with the parsing of the list by GDMenu. You might save some time.

A quick way to test would be to replace all entries with the same valid infos. If the list then works, one of the entries was the problem.

3. Comp1demon

Comp1demon Spirited Member

OK so I mounted the .cdi.. pulled the LIST.INI and edited every Game name to make sure there are no illegal Characters and such.

How do I inject the list.ini back into the CDI? IS there a program?

Thanks..

4. Mrneo240

I think I made a tool for this
    Give me some time to find

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. -=FamilyGuy=-

Until @Mrneo240 finds his program, you can use CDI4DC, as I described in a previous post. IIRC the program is easy to use and the readme is clear.

Anthony817 and Comp1demon like this.
  6. Mrneo240

Yeah in a super quick test, either I got my math wrong or it just doesn't like the sessions on the gdmenu CDI.

It's really just meant for file injection on gdis and isos. So just do a quick rebuild with cdi4dc.

Anthony817 and Comp1demon like this.
  7. Go-Kyo

Go-Kyo Member

Ok, I finally have my sd 400GB sandisk setup up it only took me 2 weekends to do so. I've been following close to the forums and reading helpful information you guy's post here. I'm fairly new on the GDEMU scene and just recently did the fan replacement and the GDEMU install just last week. But have been painstakingly creating the library of games on the SD card. My goal was to change and add missing cover art within the GDEMU and I accomplished that. By doing so I followed Super Retrocade's tutorial and did each step for every game which is a long process.

After discovering Comp1demon post about slow load times with his huge library I was a bit worried I may run into the same issue I also want to thank Mrneo240 for the brief guide on how to use the GDEMU-SD program I was using it wrong initially. Here's a link to my instant boot with pretty much the entire library of US region GDI formatted games.

https://streamable.com/ef8fz

Once again Mrneo240 I found the stream site thanks to you.

SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter A1 400GB/100mbs works with the GDEMU for anyone wondering. Also Comp1demon you haven't post in a few days did you fix your issue?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    jack oneil and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  8. Comp1demon

It's Been Super busy.. have not got the chance to fix it yet. I still need to figure out the inject for the list.ini i built into the .cdi and the I will try again.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

No need to inject anything. Just build the CDI from scratch using CDI4DC.
    1. Put all of the data for the disc (except the ip.bin) in a subfolder. e.g. "data".
      (That includes at least GDMenu's 1st_read.bin and the list.ini. IP.BIN should be in the same folder than the "data" subfolder, not in the data subfolder)

2. Make an iso out of it, taylored for the 2nd session of an audio/data selfboot:
      Code:
      mkisofs -C 0,11702 -V GDMenu -G IP.BIN -joliet -rock -l -o disc.iso data
    3. Turn it into a CDI:
      Code:
      cdi4dc disc.iso disc.cdi
    4. $$$ Profits $$$

10. Go-Kyo

Go-Kyo Member

I also been trying to research this information as well.. before I did the modifications to my dreamcast I had a region free mod chip installed I figured it would be problematic with the GDEMU so I removed it but now I'm running into issues with a few PAL games running at 50hz is there a way to patch GDI's to run at 60hz?

Was it a smart move removing the mod chip?

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Horrible move removing the mod chip lol. It is no benefit to remove it at all and there should be absolutely no conflict. In 2016 a friend let me borrow his modded DC to try out GDEMU, it had a great bios on it as well. No issues whatsoever. Japanese Cake makes some banging bios mods that add a lot of new features to the dashboard.

Go-Kyo and maxtherabbit like this.
  12. Comp1demon

OK working on it now...

AND........... WOW I think we are good!!!

Instant Boot..

I guess the list.ini had ASCII errors!!

Huge Thanks Family Guy.. that guide was super easy to follow..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    -=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  13. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys, just got a new 128gb card. What do I need to know before I format it? How do I format it to work on the GDEMU? I know I should format it on the PC, but should I use any special programs to do this instead of the built in one in windows? I heard there might be some issues formatting such large cards over 32gb to fat32. .

I got this card here, SanDisk Ultra 128gb Micro SDXC.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-SDSQUNC-128G-Adapter/dp/B015IYWJWO/ref=asc_df_B015IYWJWO/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=%7Bcreative%7D&hvpos=%7Badposition%7D&hvnetw=o&hvrand=%7Brandom%7D&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=%7Bdevicemodel%7D&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138235962&psc=1gclid=COmDnbOG2N8CFTmrZQoddncFUg&gclsrc=ds

Edit: Never mind guys, I found some free software that did it for me.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. Go-Kyo

Go-Kyo Member

So, I recently got a modded bios chip for my Dreamcast and I’m trying to flash JpCake 1.032 bios with Dreamshell. But I don’t know how to add the latest version bios to the current Dreamshell .cdi file. Is there a version of Dreamshell with the latest Japanese cake 1.032?

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

I think that once you're browsing for the file, you can simply swap for another CD with the bios you want on it. That'd be the simplest way.

16. Go-Kyo

Go-Kyo Member

Sorry to mention I’m using the GDEMU.. the chip came with pre-installed 1.031 which would not load any of my gdi games.. so I flashed to link83 bios which indeed work but I have no way of flashing 1.032 there’s no .cdi’s of Dreamshell with it that I know of.

17. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

if you use GDEMU, don't write jc v1.032
    why you use another BIOS? GDMENU can patch BIOS for region free and don't check VGA flag

18. Go-Kyo

Go-Kyo Member

My setup is a tad different my CRT does not support VGA and PAL games running on a NTSC console has crazy flicker it’s hard for me to navigate menu’s in Pal games that supports 60hz. I was reading that 1.032 supports a forced 60hz in bios that’s why I want to flash to that version.

19. truemaster1

truemaster1 Intrepid Member

try the older 1.031 bios some people said that is better

20. FirebrandX

FirebrandX Member

Greetings! I'm new to the Dreamcast modding scene, and have been obsessively decking out my Dreamcast. I've got a DCHDMI mod I installed, GDEMU, battery holder mod, NOS case (so clean and white it practically glows), Noctua fan kit mod, and I've got coming in the mail a 3D-printed drive bay for the GDEMU and a DreamPSU (pre-ordered anyway).

So I've been obsessively arranging GDI games on my SD card and using Rocky5's tool to put in my own edited cover art for each game. They look fantastic on the GDMenu GUI. Well I ran into a couple issues/questions I'm hoping to get help with:

1. A few of my games are CDI because they are home brew software (all official games I have in GDI format). Is there a way to add cover art to the CDI home brew stuff, or is it absurdly complicated to even try at this point? I was hoping to add in a PVR 256x256 image just like with GDI games.

2. I decided to try the GDEMU SD Card Maker software. Unlike GDMenu, the SD Card Maker software didn't recognize any of my game names, and labeled the folder as 'empty/unrecognized' and 'Null' in the description. I don't understand why GDMenu recognizes all the files no problem, but the SD Card Make has no clue. Even worse, I thought I could use it anyway to just move the folders up and down the list, and when I clicked on save, the software literally wiped my entire SD card, including GDMenu itself. That REALLY sucked. There should be a fail-safe in that program where it will move the folders without deleting the contents like that. I'm hoping someone can explain to me what went wrong.

Thanks!