Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I've personally tested 4-tracks GDIs and they worked fine.

2. zeed64

zeed64 Member

My GDEMU is new. Could it be a firmware change? Also why cant JC's gdrom explorer open them. It complains of track 3 not being right size I think.

3. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

It took longer than I expected, I finally tried out and tested my clone GDEMU today. From all the tests I conducted and games run I didn't find any problems and it performed just as equally well as the authentic version. I had no issues with any SD card variants and sizes that I have here. There were no issues with using it in an overclocked Dreamcast. There were no differences in performance. No problems with PAL or NTSC Dreamcast variants.

Unfortunately there really is not anything exciting or any surprises to discuss. It is a perfectly working clone that appears to be just as well made as the authentic version, physically and performance.

The only thing I did not try was flashing the firmware however, the one that came to me already had the latest firmware (5.15) installed...

Ted.

Anthony817 and fafadou like this.
  4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

@Ted don't try and flash the firmware, you can brick the system and it is already on the latest so no need to flash. Chinese clones such as everdrives ect are notorious for bricking when trying to be flashed with new firmware, and I think others have already tried it and it had bricked them. I wouldn't even try doing that.

I got mine in the mail about 3 days ago. It is a clone as well. At first I started having problems like glitching splash menu when booting the bios up. It was driving me crazy. Sometimes it didn't boot at all. I just couldn't figure it out. I tried many different SD cards. 32GB, 4gb, 2gb ect. Sometimes it worked others not. So I tried it in another DC. Same issues. Then I blew out the bottom connector port on both the GDEMU and the Dreamcast. I also cleaned the contacts of my SD cards and so far it is working more consistently. My SD cards are very old and were kept in a dusty junk drawer so maybe that is the reason I was having so many problems.

If I keep having problems I will report here, but when it does work it is great.

I did notice heat issues when playing my other DC yesterday with it. I ran a test to see how hot it got without my cardboard divider around GDEMU when playing Soldier of Fortune, and It got so hot that I took the top off and unplugged it and let it sit in front of a fan to cool down.

The cardboard divider helps a lot, but I might decide to install another fan in there to help cool it down. Currently I play with the divider in place and the lid opened on the DC to help dissipate the heat from the GDEMU.

5. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

@Anthony817 I take it you don't have an inlay installed? Tip: google for twistedsymphony's 3d inlay, they are great and help reduce heat. Also a DreamPSU helps a lot to reduce the heat.

6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I have a cardboard divider I created from seeing ones used on this thread and others. I made sure to create one before I ever used it. I will see about getting one of the 3d printed ones in the future but for now I am trying to fix it without having to disable the 12v rail on the PSU as well. Also they want $50 for a tiny little PSU and that is a bit much imho, that is about as much as a decent PC PSU. I seen 3rd party Pico PSU's for $20 with really great reviews so I would rather build one and save $30 to go elsewhere.

7. megavolt85

megavolt85 Robust Member

8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Damn, so the user DynamiteCop broke it with an update... Thanks for posting the topic megavolt85. I read through it and at least the Chinese seller refunded his money or sent another for replacement. That was nice of him. Let this be a lesson to all who buy a clone, DO NOT FLASH it under any circumstances.

9. Teddy Rogers

Yes, I already heard from various sources there have been issues with flashing the firmware. Even the source of the clones states not to attempt updating the firmware.

Next time I fire up a Dreamcast I'll check out temps (with the game) and let you know how I get on...

Ted.

Anthony817 likes this.
  10. dragoncity

dragoncity Rapidly Rising Member

Very good apps..just amazing ! :)

I have just a problem with some game like "Cave Story (Homebrew) [cdi] (Wld).cdi"

When I want to SAVE with MENU,I have an error...why?

Thank you ! :)

Attached Files:

11. megavolt85

megavolt85 Robust Member

No, DynamiteCop don't updates clone. Clone fine worked per one week, now GDEMU clone not find SD card

UPDATE: DynamiteCop cleaned contacts (SD and G1) by C2H5OH and everything has earned

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Anthony817 likes this.
  12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ah ok I see now. I also had this problem with mine and my SD cards.

13. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I've never been very technically minded, but can someone explain why people can't update the firmware on the GDEmu clone? According to someone over on the SWAT forums, they have bricked their device trying to update it. But what is actually happening? If it's a 1:1 clone then surely it would operate in the same way as the original?

(just curious, nothing more)

14. Teddy Rogers

That is my thoughts also. Having just looked on eBay there are lots of these being sold now and I can't find any sellers that say anything about not updating the firmware. Maybe this is really a non-issue with internet rumours and misinformation being purported. I am happy to give it a try if there is an update...

Ted.

15. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

16. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

one example is the matrix infinity ps2 modchip clone, the modbo modchip same fw - functionality as the original but cant update. possibly the ics are different - inferior or a slightly difference in coding. i know both of you buy the clone because you desperately want one, but if an opportunity for a real happens to you do the right thing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  17. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

From what I heard on a coding standpoint, the original firmware was modified to work with their clone board and certain mistakes were made during the process, which is why the official firmware cannot be flashed to it.

fafadou, Anthony817 and truemaster1 like this.
  18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I would try renaming the file since it has a huge uncommon naming structure for one. Just rename it to "Cave Story.cdi" and it should be ok I would think.

19. dragoncity

dragoncity Rapidly Rising Member

Ok I will test.

SO this is my COME BACK for this GDEMU !

1 - I had a freeze in GDEMU...o_O
    So I decided to put resistor 300 Ohms between 12V and GND..

I tested the game "4 Wheel Thunder"..and after 1h when I come back..the game had "freeze" !!!! :(

So "now" new test,I decided to REMOVE 12V like this (RGB doesn't work after : blackscreen,just the sound !! ) :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/461ohk/how_to_remove_12v_from_dreamcast_for_gdemu_and/

it's in test...I will come back after 1hour again...

Edit : So after 1h no freeze,this method is better,but remove completely 12V,so no RGB after. It's not a problem for me I use an Akura HDMI,but for other maybe it's not good.

For information the dreamcast it's not HOT.. so I don't understand what is the problem.

I don't have problem with Dreamshell and my PCB G1-ATA..never... so... why !

2 - Music left !
    In the game "Get Bass 2" the music left after a few minutes during the game !!! Why ??

3 - Problem MIL-CD
    All games in MIL-CD (link here) I tested doesn't work..they are all seen as an audio CD !! :(

Exemple :
    DUX (Regular Edition) [MIL-CD] (DE)
    Fast Striker Ver. 1.5 (Limited Edition) [MIL-CD] (DE)
    Geist Force [MIL-CD] (JP)
    Gunlord DC (Regular Edition) [MIL-CD] (DE)
    etc...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  20. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

gdemu has protection from over-under voltage make sure the conections between psu and mobo are ok. i had cured a scenario just like that.

Anthony817 likes this.