Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Add Samsung 32gb Evo micro SD HC
    To the list of working SD cards (via an adaptor)
    Will have to get a 64Gb one

2. Shenmue_Trilogy

Shenmue_Trilogy Rapidly Rising Member

Can someone post comparison HD photos of the clone and original?

3. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Spirited Member

Hello

I need an urgent response.

I just sold my unused still sealed GDEMU on eBay.

The buyer has started a return process and says that it is faulty. He says he spoke to people on forums and had someone drive an hour to his house with a working one to try.

Is there any distinguishable numbers on GDEMU boards that can tell them apart from each other?

My fear is that he is trying to con me and send me his broken one or a fake one back.

Many thanks

[EDIT]

I think he is legit. I got information on the problem he is having and hopefully once I get it back it is something that is not reproducible or if it is, is easily fixed by Deunan.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Anthony817 likes this.
  4. Damn-Deal-Done

Anyone? Is the number down the side a unique serial number? Thanks

5. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

He probably saw the clones were going for $82 on eBay right now and and is trying to get out of paying return postage or something at best.

6. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

From what I can see it’s different on different versions/batches.

So If you have images of that number and the one you get back is different then they duped you.

7. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

The only thing you can hope for is finding out when people first talked about these clones from China and figuring out if you think it would have made it to USA in time. Wasn't the JackDIY released 2 weeks ago? Assume the worst though, eBay is filled with terrible, terrible buyers and seller protection isn't a thing.

The only difference I happened to notice between the two was when they first started popping up, they had silver solder pads for the ICSP or whatever that's used for while the official was gold. But I don't know about older versions/batches they may have been silver too. Think you're in for a bad time.

8. Damn-Deal-Done

I need to invest in a UV pen for all future sales no matter what it is. I asked him to explain the "intermittent problem" he was having and I got back a load of abuse about calling him a conman. I just asked him legitimate questions in a neutral tone.

I posted it out to him unused and in the packaging that Deunan sent it to me in, but then wrapped that Jiffybag in bubblewrap a few inches thick and sent it in a box special delivery. So 100% nothing happened in transit.

I have lots of photographs, but I never tested it though so there is the slim possibility that it arrived to me defective a year and half ago. But how many have been known to be defective? Seems it could be any number of things. Bad game images, firmware, SD card, SD card format, poor install, mishandling. But instead of explaining further the exact nature of the problem, I just got a defensive email. Which rational people should not send when asked legitimate questions.

If anyone is interested why I sold it, I bought a USBGDROM at the same time. I jumped on them both in case I was not successful buying one of them and it turns out I got onto the GDEMU list. In the end I decided to keep the USB GDROM. Rightly or wrongly. I would keep them both but at this point in time I really needed some money so am forced to sell stuff.

I will test it when it arrives back and if there is a problem I will just have to hope that Deunan is willing to look at it. From what I gather reading his blog, he might not be completely willing to fix it. Hope this is not the case though.

[EDIT]

I think he is legit. I got information on the problem he is having and hopefully once I get it back it is something that is not reproducible or if it is, is easily fixed by Deunan.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Actually, the way it was packed did bug me
    Ive had worse packaged things sent (a Sky kid arcade PCB sent just wrapped in news paper with a thin layer of cardboard, no protection to the board its self)

10. Damn-Deal-Done

Are you referring to Deunan's packing?

11. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Yeah

It was just the board in a padded envelope

12. Damn-Deal-Done

Ye, I found that odd too even had two standoffs pre attached. A force on those would be bad during transit. But his packing isn't too bad.

I once had glass shards and dog biscuits mixed in with packing material. Vintage effects pedals in black bin liner. The worse is when a mint in box console is just shipped and the actual console box is used as the shipping box, just taped up and label stuck on. That has happened to an NTSC-J N64 i bought. Not so mint in box any more.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  13. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

I like to put packs of washing power in with it all

Or glitter
    Oh I am evil

14. zeed64

zeed64 Member

hello
    I am trying to use RebuildGDI to save space on my sd card. I am using it on tosec gdi images. It seems to only work on games that have more than 3 tracks. If the game only has 3 tracks (game.gdi , track01.bin , track02.raw , track03.bin) it creates a 4th track. the image loads fine in GDEME_SD but when i boot it with my gdemu it goes to the dreamcast screen with picture of disc, vmu etc. If the game has lots of tracks it works fine after shrinking it with RebuildGDI. My gdemu is fairly new with firmware 5.15.1. DC bootrom 1.01D. GDEMU_SD 1.10. Tryed 2 different sd cards. Untouched tosec gdis and cdi images I made from backups work fine. I tried to figure out the gditools with python to try gdishrink but I dont understand how to use them. I am using a windows xp service pack 3 ,32 bit pc

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

It's normal that it generates a 4 track GDI for 3tracks games.

Maybe you can try GDIShrink, from Gditools in my signature, as a minimalistic way to save about the same space.

See here for details on how to use it, it's not user friendly yet though: https://assemblergames.com/threads/convert-gdi-to-iso.64435/page-2#post-951999

16. zeed64

zeed64 Member

could you use py2exe on gdishrink so I could just use it. I have a command prompt version of gditools from 2015 but I see no shrink option. When I try to load a truncated image from RebuildGDI into JC's gdrom explorer it gives an error.

17. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

As FamilyGuy mentioned GDIShrink isn't user friendly. Last time I checked, you could build an executable with py2exe of "gditools.py", I probably still have a build of my own somewhere. You just won't be able to call GDIShrink without modifying the script. What you need to do;
    1. Open Python IDLE (GUI)
    2. Open "gditools.py"
    3. Under "Run" select "Run Module"
    4. In the new window and at the prompt use, "gdishrink('folder/disc.gdi', 'output')"
    You'll need to change the directory and file input/output in step number four to point to your GDI image...

Ted.

truemaster1 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  18. zeed64

zeed64 Member

Thanks for the help. I dont want to install python in this pc. I thought I may have been doing something wrong with RebuilGDI but I guess it can't shrink a 3 track GDI. It would have been a nice option. I guess my only other option is to convert the 3 track gdi to a cdi image. Keep up the great work guys.

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Rebuild GDI can reduce the size of a three tracks GDI. It will then be a four tracks GDI, once rebuilt, but that's not a problem at all. GdiShrink modifies the GDI in a less drastic way, and can be much faster (<1s on a SSD), but it will also shrink 3-tracks games into 4-tracks ones.

Once I find the time to properly incorporate GDIShrink into the main function of GDITools, I'll ask someone with windows to create a standalone exe file, and maybe @madsheep could add it to his program, as shrinking a game would be a good way to copy a game to the sd-card at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  20. zeed64

zeed64 Member

But none of the 4 track images it creates works with GDEMU. If the original gdi had more than 4 tracks (tosec, not redump) than the output from RebuildGDI works with GDEMU.