Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Fair enough.

But it is a bit of a weird situation
    Its a device that allows piracy on the Dreamcast, that its self got copied, if we had scruples (Or have a ton of money for the full DC set, bollocks to that) we wouldn't be pirating

MORAL DILEMMA!!

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

This is a false analogy.

Allowing to play backups on a 20 years old abandoned console made by a multinational corporation is completely different than cloning an actively marketed device made by an artisan.

To think otherwise is to lie to yourself.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Woofmute, Braintrash and fafadou like this.
  3. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

Also, the Dreamcast optical blocks are not eternal. Mine had an alert once and I didn't want to wait until it dies for good. Deunan have been of excellent timing for me to save my console.

Sure, you can find replacement blocks, but I have doubts about where they come from...

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  4. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

True, disc based systems have a shelf life.

Piracy on dead systems that have games that are yet to have a digital release is a thing, nobody really looses apart from s/h re-sellers (sod em)

But still, people know that things like this would end up cloned, it aint the creators fault it got cloned

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

And that's not a reason to encourage piracy.

Braintrash likes this.
  6. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

And I will add that it is not because something bad is bound to happen that we must let it go. We must fight it and end it.

7. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Bit late for that
    Its a shame it happened, but it has

Main thing is, why is it way cheaper?
    Msss produced Chinese parts?
    (Even if most tech these days is)

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

That, the use of cheaper/counterfeit chips, and also the fact that they have next to zero research and development cost to make up for, because they simply stole the work of Deunan.

This is not sane competition, this is theft.

As you can read in my previous posts, I'm one to think that Deunan should have ramp up his production with mass production to drive the cost down and protect himself financially against the cloners. But while that may (or may not, it's only my opinion) be true, the cloners are unscrupulous leeches that deserve none of our pennies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Are you done with the excuses?

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  10. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

No R&D cost on primary application feature.
    Only reverse engineering cost on specific MCU. Which is applicable to different application using the same MCU chip and the cost can be shared with different reversing projects.
    So the main cost to clone maker is only the pcb + components + one time reversing.

11. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

They probably dont test them either

Moot point really

It was mentioned earlier on that he is doing pre-orders for the next batch (About 5pm GMT), ill try to get the "Official" one, if I cant this time then
    去中国

Next up will be the PSIO (Wish is east more of an internal thing, PS disc drives are a bit of a smeg)
    I dont really think the cost is that bad, could be better, but as said, it is a small time production run where as China tends to go for it on mass and can churn them out on the cheap,
    The only real way to make them cheaper is to follow suit, but I dont really think he will sell millions of them.
    Maybe in the 100s and not let people buy more than one? (Or not ship to the same address to stop sclapers

He has said on one of the threads on his site for some people to buy them off Ebay re-sellers for over double the price.
    The threads on his site is full of drama (Bit like this ones becoming, ill be ok to let it lie), I can understand him getting pissed off at some of his work getting nicked, but theres nothing really that can be done about it once it has been

12. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

You could like, oh, I don't know, not buy the nicked work. If you spent as much effort trying to get a real GDEMU as you do coming up with excuses to try and justify purchasing the clones, you'd probably stand a good chance at actually getting one.

Flappyraccoon and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  13. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Already said im trying to get the real one

Got about 4 DCs with knackered drives that need to live again

So lets try to get back on topic?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

You say you're going to try, and in the very same sentence follow that up with "if I cant this time then 去中国"
    and more talk about the clones.

So, yet again you've tried to fabricate a justification about buying a stolen design. You can't wait for another sale? You're incapable of doing so? There's those of us no where near the GDEMU maker's time zone, and we've have been able to get one without resorting to ebay sellers. So all these excuses about how hard it is, just that, excuses.

This thread isn't about your 4 knackered DCs you were looking for support for by asking about cloned hardware, it's about the GDEMU.

15. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Im a busy person some weeks, I cant keep checking a website every ten minutes, if he had a ongoing prepayment thing list (With a disclaimer stating there might be a wait) then maybe people would get one off him and he would know the potential workload.
    Eliminate the need for people to go elsewhere and most wont

I think this conversation is stuck in a loop

Almost all tech in the world is based off cloning working tech and changing it a bit

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

I don't want to kick-start the loop again, but I want to point out that there's a difference between *cloning*: reimplementing something independently, and *cloning*: plagiarizing something completely.

The first is what I did for binhack32 or how emulators are built: figuring out how it works and reimplementing it, it's relatively common in the tech industry. The second is what cloners do.

Had they reverse engineered GDEMU to figure out how it works, then designed/coded their own PCB/Firmware, it'd be the first definition of cloning.

JackalSpat likes this.
  17. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

China just copies shit, it happened with the Everdirves, sad to see a creators works cloned, but it happens, most people will buy them off those other sites thinking they have the real thing (Like those that got he Chinese NES mini knock off) then will find out they dont

Anyway
    Got a preorder in (Finally)
    Hope it dont go tits up
    Kinda Ironic that it happens again when I found out about the clones

OR IS IT!!!!!?
    (Did request a mod clean up the thread a bit to get it back on topic)

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

Why censor?

Glad you could get a GDEMU finally!

Anthony817 and DBloke like this.
  19. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

Not censor, just a clean up to get it back on topic

Aint got it yet, just got the order in

Now for the PSIO
    Till China clones it.........................................
    (Thats a joke BTW)

20. Anthony817

Anthony817 Dauntless Member

A clean up is in essence a censor of the discussion people were completely fine having. Why make it any of your business to report something all parties were fine with? Not trying to be cross with you but it seems to me people were being very civil discussing it as it is a very hot topic now. I did make a dedicated thread for it though so I guess I can see where it is pushing this topic away from the initial discussion, so hopefully people can discuss about it there too. But I think it is completely fine to discuss it here like people have been doing like adults.

Granted the community is pretty divided on it now so it is always good to hear opposing views so we can try and understand where each camp is coming from.