Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

If you were using a protector (with a licence scheme) to protect your software I could understand. I personally don't see the purpose of using packers in 2018, they add little value. As a software developer it becomes a hassle having to contend with antivirus false positives and reassuring your user base everything is all okay...

Ted.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  2. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

The main goal is to prevent reverse engineering, personally i do it for the binary size tell me crazy but i like it small. As for the AV companies they protect you from harmless programs because fail in the main task to detect the threat this is unexceptable. Holding a knife does not make me murderer, AV companies losing the war

3. Spec

Spec Rising Member

@madsheep
    Thank you for fixing this issue and to all those who pitched in their input. :D

4. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Windows Defender

5. jack oneil

jack oneil Member

Hello to everybody!
    I always have a report of alert on behalf of Windows Defender (Windows 10) :( .
    It is strange, I have never had any problem with the former versions then why now ?
    Even if I authorize him my PC does not like of all brief, impossible to keep him it's a pity :( .
    For the next version it would be necessary to correct it ;) .
    Jack Oneil

6. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

7. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

something is fishy here. only deunan make these boards. ok deunan is informed they are cheap china boards even fw updating will make them useless damm you chinese cloners

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

9. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

I have a Dreamcast with the flashable BIOS mod. I have the japanese cake 1.032 developers bios I believe (it has a black logo) but I also have GDEMU and GDMENU 0.6. To complicate things further I have the Akura HDMI box. So I have trouble with a lot of non VGA supported games booting. I know this is a normal issue. But I am confused a little I guess.

The Akura has the RGB/VGA switch which can force VGA if you time the dipswitch change correctly, but then my developers BIOS also forces VGA and so does GDMENU. Would all of these things trying to force VGA conflict with each other? I almost want to go back to the retail BIOS.

I have Dreamshell/Bootdreams to flash - and im not sure if I wanted to go back even which bios to choose. I have "JC bootrom retail v1.032" "link83 bios" "004.01" bios and a bunch of other ones. Some are .bin and some .bios - but am unsure which will or wont force VGA? Any thoughts on a recommended BIOS for my setup?

When I set my Akura to RGB mode it will not boot or display anything on the screen (pre gdmenu) I wanted to try the RGB/VGA switch trick for games like Hydro Thunder but I dont even know if I'm supposed to flip that switch after ive loaded from gdmenu or on the initial boot?

I guess this is kinda what made me curious to ask this question. But it may be my LG OLED TV / Yamaha RX-2070 receiver too.....so confused lol

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  10. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

Unmodded official BIOS with GDEmu and GDMenu can make your game adopt to VGA if it actually be capable of. Only games like KOF DM 99' which are hard coded to 240P mode can not fit with that, nor with your legacy switch tricks.

Simply say that if you have a game gdi image pre-modded in IP.BIN with VGA support, or boot them with GDMenu(in Force VGA on Mode). It equals using the legacy switch trick to unmodded console with original GD disk. All of these are just ways to bypass the BIOS checking the VGA support flag bit in IP.BIN. And make the game program boot successfully. Then how the game program deal with the "current video mode" register value, is totally depends on game software itself. If it eventually support VGA then it will display properly in VGA mode now.(But may have unexpected activity like GunBird 2, some stage would be slowed down in VGA mode). If it's not implemented adopting VGA mode at all, like KOF DM 99', then it would never support it no matter what trick you used to bypass the boot flag checking. Only software code hacking can save you in this case. It's game application specific.(Consider the case of Skies of Arcadia PAL VGA patch by japanese cake.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    -=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  11. Lostdotfish

Lostdotfish Active Member

Can anyone give me some some advice please?

I have an Pal Dreamcast that I'm about to fit a GDEmu in. I also bought a region free BIOS from ZerO-2k11's a while ago.

I haven't fitted the BIOS yet and was wondering if I should. Is it necessary or advantageous in conjunction with the GDEmu? I've read about some issues with GDMenu and region locks/region free BIOSes.

I plan on running US and JP titles.

12. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

No, you don't need to do that. Actually, you SHOULD NOT do that. Most region free BIOS will increase the possibility of incompatibility.
    And with GDMenu, or static GD-ROM image patch, you can implement region free already.
    The only problem maybe the refresh rate. You can use region mode flash tool to semi-permanently change your console to USA/JAP-NTSC mode. Or you can use RGB cable or VGA cable to avoid that happen. AV or S-Video output may give you slowed down NTSC game experience on PAL console.

13. Lostdotfish

Lostdotfish Active Member

Perfect thank you. I'll be using VGA through my OSSC and also have an RGB Scart cable if I need it. So I should be good to go without any further mods.

14. bochu

bochu Active Member

Damn 75 bucks for the clone.
    Too bad I don't speak Chinese.

fafadou likes this.
  15. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

Most likely brick in the next official fw
    update.

16. DBloke

DBloke Huh huh "Member"

As it is a bit of a prig to get the "official" one, im interested in getting a Chinese clone as I seem to have about 4 DC with nackered drives
    Anyone on here got one?
    We dont need to update the firmware every time anyway, but what frimware will this one take up to?

17. bochu

bochu Active Member

Man I'm interested too.

18. ViraLicious

ViraLicious Active Member

Hey hey!

I've been trying to download the app I don't know how many times now. I just get redirected to a page with a lot of gibberish. Seems like instead of downloading the file, my browser is accessing it or something.

Is the site down, has anyone else had the same issue or am I simply missing something?

19. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

Hi, this is a 36 pages topic, you'd better state what app you are talking about or at least tell us the link you have question on.

20. ViraLicious

ViraLicious Active Member

"GDEMU SD Card Maker". The link doesn't work for me and I cant seem to find any alternative way to download it.
    http://xxx.biskoto.gr/GDEMU_SD.rar

I've tried to download it with both Chrome and Firefox, but alas, same result... Can anyone else access it? Asked a friend of mine just now if she could download it - but she couldn't access it either and she only gets to a page with gibberish.