Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I'm not saying it's impossible that you did. But what you shared is exactly our 12/2009 release, and it couldn't have been done by you.

Until proven otherwise, your story is fishy at best.

Edit: What the bleem cracker had to say:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  2. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

OK Family guy, I'm sorry if I made any confusion. I also found it strange when you told me the two images are similar.
    You may be right and that miniCD disc should not be my dump.
    It's not so difficult for me to make another dump. And Im going send it to you. I don't like my name distorted.
    And now I feel myself unconfortable with this situation. My dump was just reading the disc from beggining till the end. Nothing patched.
    Is works fine (I swear and I'm 100% sure of that), and for that reason, the protection should be on the code. I came here to share this info. Not proving anything. I'm not looking for a trophy.
    (hope my ebay Liteon will be OK for tonight! I miss my old Liteon so much)

I'm not so good in hacking and stuff like that but I'm really good in making perfect working dumps. I "specialized" myself in this.
    CD+G/PSX, PC, GD-rom/Gamecube/ Wii discs, dvd-video etc. Bleem was difficult, but nothing compared to others.
    My big objective is to make a selfbootable Saturn disc. I managed some ways to get the ring dumped, but there is a possibility that the ring is only an holographic feature, and maybe Saturn checks if it is there by the laser wave lenth it reflects. If so, it's impossible to reproduce such data track that reflets that wave lenght.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  3. -=FamilyGuy=-

It was recently proven that this is impossible, check in the Saturn subforum. @jhl reverse engineered the CDROM firmware and reproducing the ring isn't sufficient for a selfboot.

Anthony817 likes this.
  4. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

Oh, I have to take a look on that for sure. Thanks.
    I will be back to you when I have my dump done again. (I will also try to find my very 1st dump in my garage).
    And sorry for my mistake =/

5. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

Hi again. When I arrived home yesterday, I just checked everything and just want to confirm, you were completely right =/ That wasn't my dump, but yours (or Patriot's, I think) It can be easily distinguish by the countless word "bleem!" as you said...
    I just want to apologize. I didn't want to trick anybody. I came here not to prove anything, but to ask for help in making my 2MB Bleem (standard MIL-CD structure without the blank space of the original bleem) to boot on GDemu. (Maybe Patriot, who have skills to patch bleem, can do something with it).
    btw, I searched for my dump, and I think I lost it =/ I started last night a new dump. I really want to make it for myself (it's a personal matter, as I have all my games copyed, and also had this bleem. I'm still asking myself how could I lost it =/ ).
    It finished to dump the disc jumping 10 error sectors in a few hours, and burned it 16x. It didn't boot.
    I'm ordering on 2nd hand an old IDE LG burner just like the one I had in that time, because I can't burn it now at 4x with the burner I have.
    In the meantime I left my reader doing another dump this time with 5 error jumps. And after that I will make a perfect rip, without jumping any sectors, and force it to read one by one. But I know it's not necessary, because I know my 1st working dump wasn't made this way. It was jumping some sectors. The only thing I would like to prove is that a good rip works without modifications. If there's any copy scheme, it was also copyed, because I didn't changed anything in the CCD files when I done it on that year. Bye

6. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

Hi Madsheep. Sorry to answer you so late.
    Let me explain you with a concrete case:
    1- We have a 32GB SD card and create the folders 01, 02, 03......
    2- We put the games within the folders manually (Copying it one by one). It's not completely necessary to use the name "disc.cdi" or "disc.gdi", but OK, we change that manually too!).
    3- We fill the card completely... using ~29/30 GB of available space.
    4- We open your application, set the correct SD card drive letter, and start to add game by game from the images already on the SD card (not HDD!)
    5- The application thinks it's impossible to copy from the SD card to the SD card, because it's already full! But the application just need to rename the files/folders. It doesn't need to copy anything, as long as the games are already there! (on the SD card). You see a message telling the card is full!

Did I explain correctly?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

delete this message please.

8. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

You are using it wrong,
    1st you dont need to copy anything manually
    2nd you can rearrange the position of the games in my app and then press the save button

9. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

For what it's worth, (unless there are somehow two people from Portugal with a Shenmue 2 English dub in GDI format) he emailed me back in June asking how to do it and he's not the first person to do it either. I'm pretty sure that he just took the files from the 99-minute CDI's and not the original Xbox version, since that's what he was trying to do. Other people have done it better already, but I suppose those same people wouldn't see a need to upload them online.

If you're really going to spread GDI's around, you might as well do them correctly:
    1. Use the original .afs files from the Xbox version, not partially downsampled ones
    2. Apply the patch that I posted last year so it can import US save files from the first game in addition to EU
    3. Apply the FREE subtitle timings inside the HUMANS PKS files using the timings from the Xbox version, so the conversation timing isn't weird.
    4. Use the original disc metadata, so it's authentic. JC's GD-ROM Explorer lets you view this, and GDIBuilder lets you set it in the advanced dialog.
    1, 2, & 4 are pretty easy for anyone with access to the original files to do as-is. I don't know if anyone's publicly released tools to do number 3 for you.

As some of you already know, this is what I wrote GDIBuilder to do. But I used my own GD-ROM dumps to do it.

truemaster1 likes this.
  10. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

Yes, I know how to use it. But what if we want to edit a card you already have? It's a PITA!
    You have to move everything over the HDD and than back to the SD with the application....
    If you try to edit an already made SD card this is what happens:
    1st it will not recognize a file name like [drive:]\02\IMAGE.gdi and GDemu latest firmware is not anymore limited to "disc.gdi".
    2nd if the card is full of games and we want to just edit it, it only needs to rename the folders to match the new layout... instead, it will try to copy everything from the card, to the card itself again! (long time consuming proccess!). And if a card is nearly full, it can't copy from the card to the card itself!
    This is not a critic @madsheep . The application is awesome. I just want to report some issues I think could be improved.

11. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

I didn't pick 99-minute CDI's partially downsampled.
    There are also 1,10GB CDI's.
    But I will need to verify the patches you said.
    Thanks

12. madsheep

madsheep Peppy Member

No you don't,

if you want to edit a pre-made card is simple as that:
    1st: Put the sd card on the pc
    2nd: Open GDEMU SD and Select the drive later
    3rd: Rearrange the list by dragging the items up and down or by the Green Up and Down Arrow buttons
    - you can add new games too!!!
    4th: Press the Save Button to prepare your SD Card!

krisk77 likes this.
  13. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

@S4pph4rad the afs from xbox can used in dc without any conversion? im asking this because xbox is completly different console. @toxic9 are you sure there are 110gb cdrs? i never see any.

14. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

I said 1.10Gb CDI's.
    You understood 1.10Gb CD-R's.
    There's a difference!

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

Gdemu will accept CDI up to 122min, the length of a gdrom, even if you could never burn such a disc to any medium.

That said, there are few real reasons to do so, because GDI are basically lossless. But if you add too much data to a game with mods, you might fit approximately 10min more data in a 122min CDI than GDI without to much hassle.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  16. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Yeah there are un-downsampled versions of the English dubbed SM2, they are just over a GB and were intended to be used with emulators, but since UGC and GDEMU came out and support oversized CDI files they can be used on them.

I just converted them to GDI so everything I have on my HDD is GDI.
    ( extract the CDI files and replace the 1st_read.bin with one from the original GDI and build into a GDI, games works fine. I also made my own 0GDTEX.PVR files for each disc with English dubbed under the title :D )

I never new about the patching tools to allow all saves to work, but I started fresh.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Spec likes this.
  17. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

GDemu supports oversized CDI, that's right, but if you create a custom GDMENU for your SD card with oversized CDI, sometimes GDMENU freezes itself loading such images. I noticed that. I explain better: Everytime you press the D-PAD to change the cursor to select a game on the list, GDMENU loads the CD picture icon. If the game is an oversized CDI it may freeze. That's why I'd rather prefer GDI, as it's a standard format.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

Iirc Deunan made a post explaining why you can't make too big a GDI. I don't remember if the limit was 122min or greater, but a few GBs GDI was simply out of question. A 122min CDI would allow to fit more data than a 122min GDI though, unless you can merge the LD and HD TOCs of the GDI.

19. S4pph4rad

S4pph4rad Site Supporter 2015

Yes. It's just a bundle of audio data, there's nothing console specific about it.

There aren't patching tools, you open a hex editor and change the values in 1ST_READ.BIN that were documented in the forum post.

Rocky5 likes this.
  20. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

Hi everybody! And hi FamilyGuy!

I did it! Just as I said! I made it right now! After changing burning settings 100 times and wasted lots of wasted CD's, I have my 2nd Bleem GT2 working dump.
    It's burned and works great!
    Just give me some more time, I have lots of Laptops with external drives around here! It's a completely mess! I have to clean my room. Then I will send FamilyGuy the working dump and the settings/drives I used.
    This new CD-R is a 1:1 copy of the original disc. I will make a video for all of you showing the result.
    i just would like to show there is no other copy protection than the difficulty to read the disc. It needs to be a good rip and a good burn, No need to modify anything.
    I hope anyone could help investigating why it doesn't work with GDemu =/
    By the way, I never tried my own dump in GDemu. I have to try that, because I was fooled. I though I have my dump before, but it was the dump made by FamilyGuy/Patriot. Now I have to test my dump.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017