1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Unofficial Deunan's GDEMU Thread

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by duskdawn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. toxic9

toxic9 Member

Thank you so much.

I will never notice you are using the new 0.6 version, because on the SD MAKER window it still shows 1.05 (the same using old version menu), and I was expecting to see 1.06 or something!

2. Spec

Spec Active Member

Hi @madsheep. :)

Are there any plans in releasing a GDmenu version 0.7?
    Possibly with custom CD art support or anything else you might be adding that we don't know?

Anyway, just wondering. :D

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Madsheep doesn't develop GDMenu, the developer is @neuroacid . Madsheep made a very user friendly tool to generate the GDMenu game list though.

4. Spec

Spec Active Member

@-=FamilyGuy=-

But of course, how could I get that mixed up. My bad. ;/

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  5. toxic9

toxic9 Member

Hi guys...

Do you know if there is anybody working on bleem protections, so we can boot the retail discs on gdemu?
    I was trying to figure out what's the main problem with thes discs, since they are MIL-CD format and should work like the others:

1st - I found they all have an unsupported name for 1ST_READ.BIN.
    Inside the IP.BIN, the name for main executable is called the code "0A" in ASCII which does not correspond to a any specific character but a line break instead. Also the main executable inside the CD structure is called "0A" in ASCII code, so the Dreamcast can find it, but its name is not shown on a file explorer.

2nd - The Disc is on XA mode. I think GDemu CDI parser can deal with this right?

3rd - The disc have lots of "blank" space and the main purpose of adding this dummy space was to insert the rings on the official retail disc. These rings were inserted to prevent dumping the disc, as most of cd-readers will stop when trying to read a bad sector.

I have tried to convert all these non standard features to a standard MIL-CD, but still no success.
    I have some probabilities on my mind:
    Maybe the main executable should have some kind of protecion that detects it's not reading from a real GD-rom drive (CRC values?)
    Maybe this executable is not being able to set the stop motor command of the GD-rom drive, since there is no motor...
    Maybe the executable checks for some subchannel data that GDemu is not reading?

btw,, anybody with same interest in get this working?!

6. fafadou

fafadou Spirited Member

I think the problem comes from the gdemu software.
    It needs an update.
    i think it's easy, just adding the boot file name.

7. toxic9

toxic9 Member

I will ask gdemu creator!

8. madsheep

madsheep Robust Member

from an old conversation with Deunan

MadSheep
    To: Deunan Knute
    Deunan Knute
    To:MadSheep

SONIC3D likes this.
  9. -=FamilyGuy=-

@toxic9 bleemcast was cracked already for mil-cd, its ip.bin completely bypasses the normal boot method, iirc it uses the video ram somehow. The other stuff seem to be there as false clues so crackers loose their times.

@madsheep given that gdemu supports pregaps, Deunan is totally right saying it might be a weird corner case. Maybe it's some timing dependant code that fails on gdemu because it's too fast, or undocumented commands/effects. Mr Linden is a sneaky programmer that probably knew more about the DC low-level workings than most programmers at Sega, so it might be really hard to find.

That said, I've seen that @japanese_cake started to work on BC! a bit too for his new bios, maybe he'd be interested to look into it.

10. toxic9

toxic9 Member

I have always been enthusiast of optical media protections since I was a kid, because I love to have a 2nd copy of all my precious CD's! And on that time when I bought on a shop my copy of Bleem for GT2 and looked at the base of the disc, I said: What the hell! I have to make my copy of it! With my experience and patience, I have successfully made a working copy within one night awake. I still keep from that day a mini-CD (8cm) with my 1st Retail Bleem successfully recorded!
    Now in GDemu era, instead of using the retail Bleem images provided on internet, I also made a CDI image of that working disc I made years and years ago, and loaded it into GDemu. No luck... So I decided to search myself the problem. I just don't have the knowledge of how GDemu parser works to understand what makes it crash. I am hoping japanese_cake will do his search too.

11. -=FamilyGuy=-

Wait so when did you made this working backup of bleem! GT2? Also, you stated earlier than you did not succeed in making a working cdi? I'm confused.

It took years for someone to publicly release a working version. I personally managed to make it boot up to the bleem "insert disc" screen myself, but it wouldn't boot GT2 anyways.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM
  12. toxic9

toxic9 Member

That's right, I made my copy of Bleem GT2 +-16 years ago with my Liteon DVD-ROM reader LTD165H (IDE). This was an amazing drive. The best of all drives I used in my life. It copyed all my discs and also help me made several dumps of GD-rom discs. I also tried to dump Sega Saturn ring protection with it. I have created myself some "Trap" discs to dump the ring. Unfortunatelly this drive died last year =(
    The console world is another paisson for me, that's why I am enthusiast of copying the most protected discs. It's like a challenge for me. Bleem disc was one of the hardest (CD format), but it only took me one night without sleep! (CD format). DVD format preotection is another story...
    As you can notice, I'm new around here, and I'm new around other places on internet. For all this years I made little appearance on foruns and I'm very sorry for that. Today I think sharing our experience could be somehow helpful for everybody in the comunity, and I don't know why I never talked with people online. I always read, but never write. Now I signed up lots of foruns, and I try to help people, share my knowledge, and learn too.
    I discovered lately these Bleem discs were never dumped for years since somebody released them. And I'm sorry for not publishing my dump earlier. I never thought it would be so appreciated =/ Although I only had one Bleem (GT2). There are other two. But maybe somebody could sent them to me to dump.

When I say the CDI doesn't work, I mean on GDemu! If you burn it on CD it boots very well on the Dreamcast with stock drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    Anthony817 and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

We have a very similar background it seems: I too dumped GT2 with my LTD-165H, as well as the saturn ring and some GD-Roms using a trap disc :p Mine is still alive and kicking though. You can find one pop up on ebay once in a while. Just put an alert for it and you should be able to get another one back. (EDIT: There's at least one right now.)

For nostalgia:
    [​IMG]

I did not succeed however into making my own working dump of BC! to boot, and I'd like to compare yours with mine to see where my mistake was! So I'd like to get a look at your self-made copy of BC! GT2.

The BC! version that was released a few years ago has been modified in order to remove copy protections, as far as I know. So I'm curious on how your version would keep them active and still boot. Or did you had to hack them too?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM
  14. toxic9

toxic9 Member

1st I want to tell you I'm from Portugal, so sorry if you don't understand everything perfectly!
    That's great we have a similar childhood! So you are the guy who made the new data-data selfboot script right?!
    I ordered one Liteon LTD165H from ebay when mine failed but the drive I receive is not in perfect condition =( and I never complain with the seller... Maybe next time I have a better luck!
    Yes, of course you can have my dump. I can send it to you in CDI, but I really prefer CCD format. What do you prefer?
    How can I send it to you?!
    btw, I made myself a GDI version of "Shenmue II (Europe) (English Dub)". The only version available online are CDI.
    Do you think it's important?

PS: Oh, that drive without the upper lid! So nostalgic!! Ahaha! Awesome!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM
  15. -=FamilyGuy=-

I'm not Anglophone either, so I understand completely! My understanding of Portuguese is not great though.

Yeah I made the 45000lba selfboot pack that's used quite a lot in the scene. I also made GDItools, which is much better coded than the selfboot pack, and I did a few other things behind the scene with betas or tricky selfboots.

I'm sure some people would be interested in your Shenmue GDIs, find the proper forum to share these, people are always asking for that kind of stuff. BTW, if you downsampled ahx, you probably used my scripts too :).

If you can upload it somewhere like mega or the like and send me the link via pm it would be easier I think. I'll take whatever format works once burned!

I knew you'd like that picture!

16. truemaster1

truemaster1 Peppy Member

@toxic9 if your shenmue 2 english gdi is not downsample and videos-sounds are better quality that the cdis from the internet. then you done something really good and propably unique. i dont thing there would be trouble to share it here i had shared my moded resident evil code veronica x in english without having any problem with admins. yours its a comunity project too

17. -=FamilyGuy=-

There's no need to downsample anything for a GDI (unless the english files are much bigger than the japanese ones), so it should be GD-Rom quality.

The Full99 japanese-audio cdr version is virtually the same quality as the GD-Rom though, except a few minigames dialogues. Idk about the English undub though. It should be possible to keep very good/untouched quality for 99min.

Always made me smile when people complained about the audio quality on the 80mim version. I mean, there was 100,000 files that had to fit in like 175MB less than on the GD-Rom... What do you expect? Magic? Now at least they can choose between bad sound or silence.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM
  18. toxic9

toxic9 Member

I don't know if we can post links here... but...

Take a look at my Bleem for GT2
    https://mega.nz/#F!8KBAyBYA!DpJQIxUaN9Cw8aAZzxLdXQ

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

I'll take a look at it in the next few days and try to figure out what I missed.
    Would you care to explain exactly how you dumped it and what modifications you had to do to make it boot GT2?

20. truemaster1

truemaster1 Peppy Member

Always made me smile when people complained about the audio quality on the 80mim version. I mean, there was 100,000 files that had to fit in like 175MB less than on the GD-Rom... What do you expect? Magic? Now at least they can choose between bad sound or silence.
    ha that was my answer back in dc days to some people less space needs more compresion. i never touch the undub version of shenmue i preffer the japanese voices. but if the cdis even the 99min are downsampled and the @toxic9 gdis are not. it will be a good job and im sure they are people that would like those gdis