Unlocking features of Geist Force, for people who have tested it (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by dark, Sep 8, 2012.

1. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

I'm afraid it's not as good as it seems. In fact, you're both right.

Stage 2, 4 (pic 2), 5 and 6 - just switch TERRAIN and OBJECT from 'STAGEX' with that of 'STAGE0' and you can freely fly around the level by selecting Mike's Room. Although it really is just to see the level design, as no events are triggered.

Stage 4 (pic 1) - You can remove the PATH/PATH.MIFF which will activate the enemies / buildings of the level. You get a good minute of battle, fly over the hill, and just as you're about to pat yourself on the back, you're shot straight into the floor, heh.

It is strange that they're a part of the same stage, but they do flow into each other in a way that sort of makes sense. I swear there must be more to find in Stage 4 though, because it's a pretty short level otherwise. I'm just not sure if I'll be wasting my time flying into endless 'fog' if I go looking... You'll see what I mean when you try it out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Ah cool, I was trying to do this (switch files to get the other levels to load in place of lvl 1 in Mike's room) but wasn't able to rebuild a working image so that the emulator would boot it. Not sure what I was doing wrong exactly.

EDIT: Here are the images from the bottom of the last page. Just moving them to this page since scrolling to the bottom of the last just to see the pics was mildly annoying.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

Nice. Here's what I'm doing:

Grab IpExtractor and extract the ip.bin from the cdi you created.
    Rename that to ip.hak
    Grab FamilyGuy's selfboot Pack, edit SELFBOOT.bat and comment out the ip / binhack section
    Put ip.hak in the same folder as the pack
    Let the pack do its thing with the edited files and you can literally test every change you make within a couple of minutes.

Hopefully that will work for you.

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Excellent info, BrAzE and good work. This could lead to more breakthroughs if we're lucky.

5. Yakumo

I was having a play around with Geist just before when this silver faced guy appeared in the bottom left box. He has what I'd call a bit of a camp Japanese voice. I've never seem him appear before. has anyone else?

geist-odd.jpg

6. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

Proably is a rebuilt image as I gave him info on how to go about selfbooting the game as it isn't as simple as just running through FG's pack.

7. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

The Katana has no keyboard, mouse or PS/2 ports whatsoever. It uses the standard controller ports for input only.

A Katana does have a 9 pin serial port, but this is your garden variety RS232 as is found with a modified port connector and voltage on the Dreamcast itself, however they are functionally identical.

The CD-R version of SoulCalibur would have required downsampling or on the fly compression to make it fit as the game is well over 700MB. Even if the game was squeezed within the 700MB limit, as there would be little to no padding file to push the files out, a good number would have to load from the slowest area near the inner ring so the laser has no choice but to jump back and forth.

Geist Force doesn't use the whole 700MB so there is some padding to push the files out to the faster area. There are games out there with worse sort files than Geist Force (Virtua Fighter 3TB) and the devs did move some things around for less issues, but as with anything, there is room for improvement.

I always preferred nullDC for the better frontend TBH as it is much easier to use but if you load the game on Makaron you get to play Geist Force in wireframe mode as it doesn't seem to display the textures.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Rez mode! The circle is now complete between DC rail shooters! :)

I'm copying a few of Atreuyu's posts from the torrent thread into here since they are entirely relevant to anyone looking to experiment.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  9. Yakumo

Has there been any more breakthroughs in opening extra features in this game as of yet?

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Atreyu has mentioned a little bit about a project to "re-link" files in linux or osx or some such, and thereby get more functionality for some of the broken stage sections/elements. Don't know how this is turning out. I think when he and his release group work on a more complex project like this they keep it under wraps until they have something incredible to show, rather than promising the world and not delivering.

11. Yakumo

Ah, yes. I remember him talking about something along those lines. I wonder if they are making progress or not?