Unlocking features of Geist Force, for people who have tested it (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by dark, Sep 8, 2012.

1. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

That image linked by OatBob is definitely interesting. Assuming the debug mode is expecting some other form of mouse input, shouldn't it be possible to modify the code in some way to recognize the commercial DC mouse instead?

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

What the hell is that? That has got to be a Photoshop job. Even the early katana dev kits had 4 ports so why would they make a machine that looked like a retail DC with 6 ports? Even the very first mock DC cases had 4 ports and a different finish to the triangle on the lid plus the DC logo was printed on the lid, unlike the sticker we now have. Then again, that photo does contain a very old Japanese PHS phone which could link it to a test unit in Japan.

The 3rd port does contain a mouse. You can tell this by the thickness of the cable. Only the DC mouse has a cable that thin. What is odd is the red port on one of the joypads. Coloured joypads came later in the DCs life.

EDIT. Upon closer inspection of that photo it does seemed photoshopped. The grain around the second to last port on the right is a different shade and size to that on the left and right of it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

4. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Led color doesn't look right either it's kinda purple not blue or orange!!!

5. wombat

wombat SEGA!

6. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

I've seen that 6 port Dreamcast a few times on internet over last few years - never known if it was real or photoshop?!

Tried Geist force in 240 mhz and definately seemed smoother but console randolmy reset at end of first level.....

7. Yakumo

Playing the game in an over clocked DC is a waste of time simply because the Dreamcast can't access the disc data fast enough running at normal speeds so it sure isn't going to access it any easier when it's having to process the data faster. If anything a slowed down Dreamcast would make the loading seem more complete however the game would also run slower.

8. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  9. Shinebi

Shinebi Dauntless Member

I can't believe this hoax DC has even been resurected here. Please refrain from such stupidities...

10. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

So fake DC unit aside... shouldn't it be possible to modify the code in some way to recognize the commercial DC mouse instead of whatever input it is currently looking for?

11. cypherpunk

cypherpunk Active Member

Do you think that the game is overly demanding as it is (streaming large textures off the disk, designed for beta hardware, etc), or can this be improved by optimizing the disk layout? Does the disk "thrash" during game play?

I haven't had time to sit down and spend any time with Geist Force yet, so I might be asking obvious questions.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  12. Yakumo

It's hard to say. the game seems to run at a solid 60fps so it's very smooth but yeah, it does seem to have issues loading textures and models from the disc. An optimized image may well help but how much help I couldn't say. The only other game I know of that accesses the disc as much as Geist is Soul Calibur. I remember the CDR version of that having loading issues so......

13. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I have optimized the image keeping all level files packed tightly together so the laser doesnt have to seek so much and it makes no noticeable difference. So rebuilding is useless but i think i found the string that needs to be altered to use the debug features with a controller over a pad instead of keyboard. Whats holding me back is i cant seem to find the S1-3 keys using NullDC to see what needs to be swapped using the debugger as i dont think such keys are implemented in the emulator when using the keyboard.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  14. Yakumo

It doesn't matter about using a pad over a keyboard to be honest (uless you don't have a keyboard). What we really need is a way to access those options that seem to need a mouse. By the way, do you have any idea why the menu (DEBUG and USER) will appear in a higher resolution and not at the bottom of the screen when there's no control pad plugged in to the Dreamcast? I find that very odd.

15. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

Well I haven't made much lead way lately as my DC died while playing this so I am in the market for a cheap USA deck for playing this. It is on the way as all I have are two custom Dreamcast left and I don't want to try it on them.

Anyhow I will be tearing it apart soon enough but the keyboard on the PC side is super important to me and having access to the S1-3 keys as I have a hacked version of the emulator that shows exactly what files are accessed and when so if I could find a way to use those I could get the menu up and see what files are called on and when. It is how I made the optimized version with all the level files closely packed together by watching what files were used and when. Also it is only the Japanese keyboards with these keys as they weren't on either of my USA territory keyboards but is there on my skeleton Japanese keyboard.

16. Yakumo

It's funny that the Japanese DC has these "S" keys since normal japanese keyvboards don't. In the place of the 3 "S" keys there aer kanji, katakana and Hiragana mode keys. No use even on a PC since everyone I know including myself uses the top left key under Esc to change language types.

17. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

Here's a few screens I took while having a mess about. They don't show much, but they do spoil the later level designs, so close your eyes if you plan on messing around with the files yourself.

Level 2:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Level 4:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Level 5:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Level 6:
    [​IMG]

18. Yakumo

How the hell did you manage to access those stages!!!??? Good going, man! I knew that industrial area had to be stage 5.

19. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Dear Braze,

Kindly tell us how you accessed all of these areas.

Best Regards,

Your good friend,
    Dark

(incidentally, this doesn't have anything to do with renaming files and rebuilding the image, does it?)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  20. Yakumo

I have a feeling it does. It is strange that the fire stage is also part of the ice stage. maybe the fire stage files should be stage 3??