Unlocking features of Geist Force, for people who have tested it (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by dark, Sep 8, 2012.

1. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

I've been enjoying one debug function nobody's really been talking about yet. It shows the hitboxes for enemies and destructible objects in a brilliant cyan. I think we could use it to discover some secrets that might not be plainly visible. For example, the arches/ natural bridges in stage 1 have as many as 6 patches that are flagged, but the bouncing boulders don't show. I'm curious. The mushrooms at the first boss encounter are all targetable. Also, that first boss encounter... the worm has a few dozen short legs along the edges. Anyways, this is becoming my preferred way to play.

To access it by keyboard it is S3, U(User), (T) TglDiplay, and the top option (C).

I don't know what the option is actually called since it is offscreen via composite. The other option in this category is the "Mdl BBox" which shows red boxes around all the objects.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I've done that on Stage 2 as well by using the debug display option. Still can't finish that stage though. I just get stuck.

3. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Keyboard ordered :) found a mini one with S3 button, jap and still boxed :) Still no game in sight, maybe tomorrow :) Can't wait to play with debug menus and the game itself indeed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

Brain dump.

So what do we have so far? Has anyone else cleared any other levels?

Level 1 can be completed.
    Level 2 everyone gets stuck about halfway.
    Level 3 is insta-crash.
    Level 4 drives everyone into the hillside.
    Level 5 has few enemies but an intricate urban landscape.
    Level 6 ???

Has anyone tried backup/booting from an SD card, or using a katana dev kit? I've used JP and US consoles, and haven't seen any difference (JP mini-keyboard works on both, US white mouse doesn't).

I may hook up a video capture device this weekend to share screens of the debug menus with those who don't have the keyboard.

5. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

Confirmed does not work with SD card crashes instantly and will not boot.

If you do make one with a custom sort you will need to swap header data from your initial cdi rip from the pressed disc to successfully boot. I have one with the level files altogether and couldn't get it to boot at first. Going over my image and the original the data wasn't the same. I assume it is some of the hacking that took place. I just used a hex tool to copy the data from the pressed disc image into the new image i made.

Data/data method will not work you must use audio/data selfboot format.

6. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

I can confirm something we already know. There is no STAGE 3.

Looking at the file directory, there is no /MIFF/STAGE3 or /SOUND/VOICE/JP/STAGE3

7. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I was a little confused in that I saw a directory called Stage0 (and stages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6) so altogether 6 stages... but the stage0 folder didn't have the same directory or file structure as the other stage folders, so it may have been for some other kind of purpose like a folder for shared graphics.

Here's where things are, it sounds like.

Level 1 can be completed.

Level 2 does not crash in some situations, but does not appear to have a completeable boss event (instead of fighting the boss, you get dumped back to the start of the level in dogfight mode, and there are no enemies to kill or events to trigger which would conclude the scenario... Although maybe when you get dumped back to start, the boss train starts moving on the tracks on the other side of the level and moves off screen before you can get through the level to get to him?) - thus it does not seem possible to beat the stage like in level 1

Level 3 probably does not exist

Level 4 drives everyone into the hillside.

Level 5 has few enemies but an intricate urban landscape, which ends in a dead end. Although the level may continue further similar to the impasse in level 4 as we've seen screenshots of different areas which could come from this stage.

Level 6 has large objects (ships) as scenery, but corrupted textures on almost all 3d objects and no events that are triggered in its default state

8. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

thx dark

------------------------

Well, no dice on an easy way of booting the game by SD iso or simply plunking the pressed disk in a Katana.

9. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

This isn't much of an update, but I received my Japanese import keyboard and mouse yesterday. So far I'm seeing the same things everyone else has reported seeing. Still can't get the mouse to work. But if anyone would like me to verify something using them, let me know.

10. dark

dark Dauntless Member

What happens if you put the mouse in the P1 port? Since there are keyboard controls for the ship, maybe the developers with their debug environment didn't commonly use the joystick? Heck, maybe the mouse can steer the ship? I think its worth the 2 minutes to check this out.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

I did try this out, and the movement/clicks from the mouse do not have any impact on the game. What happens is that the ship is forced into one ucontrollable direction, I believe to the top of the screen. If I remember correctly, inserting the mouse into port 1 while the game is "paused" will also unpause it. Other than that no luck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I would but my DC died while playing this last time. It powered the system off and upon trying to reboot i got nothing. Swapped psu then it powered on but no audio or video. The board was quite hot as well so when i find a trash unit ill test some more but i already broke one of my custom systems playing this and i dont want to risk it in my current system. I suggest playing with the top off or an improved cooling as the rev0 with heat pipes didnt seem to help at all.

13. Yakumo

I'm picking my mouse up from the post office tonight so I'll have a play around too.

14. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

Wasn't that one of the big concerns about this release - that it's a DC fryer and will reduce the system life? I think that I'll only ever play this nullDC style.

15. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

It pretty much pushes the system to the limit due to it being designed on unfinished hardware. Obviously in nullDC this isn't an issue but anyone that's playing on a later revision model DC be weary as it will most likely fry your system eventually.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  16. Yakumo

Well, I've played this A LOT and my DC is fine.

ALL NEW MENUS!!!!

well, the mouse does nothing as others have stated. Waste of cash there but still, it was cheap.

So yeah, I found some new menus. From the stage select screen I found a text colour edit menu.

[​IMG]

To access it don't use any control pad and have the keyboard in port 2. Now use the number keys to select the level you want. Notice that the box surrounding the level number changes highlight and that the box next to it now looks highlighted? Well, when that is highlighted press S3 for the menu above to appear.

Start a game and you'll get the below screen.

[​IMG]

You can't edit anything though because the mouse does nothing and there is yet to be any keyboard command that will access these pop-up menus.

Also I noticed if you start a game with no control pad (Boot the DC with no control pad connected) then the menus will appear in the centre of the screen using a finer font and you don7t need to press U or D to access the USER or DEBUG sections.

[​IMG]

Yakumo

kurtori likes this.
  17. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

Was curious if anyone had a chance yet to play Geist Force both normal and over clocked?

I wanted to know your results because mine were very odd. Stock played it no problem with a little slowdown here or there. I could never get past the first min or two on overclock. Half the enemies that would show up on stock don't even appear, for example no ships in the very beginning. It always turns off and resets too every time I believe I get to the first cavern with the rock in the middle and the things running on the ground. The only reason I'm not sure is because that cavern is usually invisible too. Also the lighting and environment keeps flashing rapidly sometimes pitch black.

Anyway, curious your thoughts and experience. Thanks.

P.S. I noticed its really killing the laser too, it seems to have a harder time loading everything every time I play it. Hope it doesn't wreck my console, I hope that hasn't happened to anyone yet? Has it?

18. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Darn, we're so close to being able to do stuff with the menus. Does the Katana dev box have anything on the back for a pc mouse to plug in? PS/2 or 9 pin serial ports or something? I don't really understand how the katana dev environment works, but could GF be expecting a ps/2 mouse signal which it would have had while running on an early Katana?

My DC hasn't exploded yet either. It's pretty difficult to play this game for a long time continuously, as within 5-10 minutes, you've probably reached an aspect of the game that crashes or renders it unplayable. My DC hasn't felt unusually hot either, although you can hear the GDrom drive moving around a lot to access the data on the disc.

19. Yakumo

The GDrom drive does move around at but no more than with Soul Calibur.

20. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

Everyone keeps insisting in mouse functionality, and something keeps bugging me that it's tied to some non-final hardware and will be inaccessible to 99% of us anyways.

I finally found a pic of the particular unit that I suspect may work. I doubt this particular unit was produced in any significant numbers, and would be considered more of a prototype.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, and this is the 6-port unit I'm talking about

http://www.dreamcastbr.com/prototype_dreamcast_arquivos/image006.jpg

[HR][/HR]
    I managed to successfully use something other than the JP keyboard!

Does anyone have a Treamcast? I think the first model came with this particular [PS/2 keyboard] / [Playstation controller] adapter. Anyways I'm using a USB keyboard (with another adaptor, LOL) that happens to have a S1-3 keys. It works OK, no extra features. No mouse functions.

Just for giggles, I tried a PSX controller. It runs more smoothly than I'm normally comfortable admitting to.