Unlocking features of Geist Force, for people who have tested it (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by dark, Sep 8, 2012.

1. dark

dark Dauntless Member

**WARNING, POTENTIAL FOR SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD**

Rather than start a thread discussing the gameplay or the graphics or complaining about bugs in this early beta game, I wanted to start a thread with discussion of how to access parts or features of the game that seem to exist but are difficult or not obvious to get to.

To start out with, I have been testing on a US rev 1 dreamcast and here are some questions I have to anyone who might have found a solution:

Has anyone discovered a way to access the debug menu? I don't have a dreamcast mouse, but I've tried my keyboard and my controllers in all 4 controller ports, and hit every button on each and didn't get any reaction from the debug menu. (Unplugging the controller from P1 during gameplay does cause the game to freeze though) Perhaps since the game was developed on non-final hardware, the game is expecting input from an early beta version of the keyboard/mouse or some other interface that isn't akin to any of the released DC accessories.

The boss fight in level 2 regularly does not load in time before the player ship on rails hits invisible barriers at the end of the rail scenario waiting for the boss scenario to load. Once the player has hit the barriers, the player ship is virtually uncontrollable and can not engage in the boss fight. Has anyone had a different experience, or a solution to access the boss fight?

Is there a way to get past the hilltop at the beginning of level 4? (invisible barrier seems to push you into the ground making the hilltop inaccessible, although based on the rail the player travels on, the hilltop seems to be where the player ship must go and where the level would continue)

Level 3 does not load through the starting debug menu. Any comment on if it exists?

Related to the start menu - the controller and keyboard don't seem to function as inputs for Nimai's Room sound test. Anyone have solutions on how to move around the sound test menu?

Level 5 and 6 appear to be at a very early stage of development, but files on the disc suggest there might be boss events or other scenarios in these levels. Any ideas on accessing or triggering them?

If the debug menu could be accessed, it is my speculation that the other levels could be tested and evaluated off the rails akin to level 1 in "Mike's room"

Beautiful graphics and textures in this game!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

I've only spent just a few moments with the game so far, but have found that you can pause/unpause the game by holding L and R, then pressing Start.

I've only gotten to the end of the first boss battle once as of now, but it ended with a black screen; using the button combination above brought up new options in the lower-right corner, a "play" icon and another section marked "GO". But as of now I haven't found a way to access those options.

Has anyone tried plugging a controller into ports 2 through 4 to try changing the HUD/debug options yet?

3. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Good to know, I hadn't found this out yet.

The boss battle crash actually resets my dreamcast. We've known for awhile from Assembler that the 1st level boss seems to crash on a stock dreamcast, although i tested on NullDC and was able to get much farther past the boss crash (but it froze at a later part). As for the play and GO buttons, I see those pop up when I freeze the game, but haven't been able to access them.

Yeah, it didn't work for me. I may have hotswapped while the game was running for a few of the tests I did though, and the game might not support that.

4. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Update: it is possible to complete the 1st level in "game start" mode, via nulldc. It displayed the win graphic below, and then loaded the second level
    [​IMG]

When the second level loaded, it only displayed the top left corner of the screen (energy bars and some moving graphics from level 2 behind it. This may not have been an emulator display issue as pausing brought up the PLAY and GO buttons in the bottom right corner. The emulator reset the game to bootup shortly after I unpaused it at the very start of level 2.

5. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

This is because nulldc ignores the calls that crash a normal DC

6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I think you will need a DC mouse to access the debug menu. It helped a lot in the early REZ beta.

7. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Sure, for the prominent one that unceremoniously crashes the first level boss fight - but I've had nullDC crash on me in other parts of the first level, and in the second level well before the boss fight triggers - meaning my stock DC can get farther into the second level than my nullDC setup.

Update on this: it seems to me since I haven't seen the scenario or graphics in any other levels, that Level 3 would be the magma/volcano level from the top screenshot on the back of the insert. Some videos of Geist Force from 1998 (such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQcmrV4-YI ) show some video of this level being played. Good news on that front is that there are probably files on the disc for it, as I was examining the disc files and found level data and graphics with names like "volcano", "lavadebris" and "volcanomonster". Edit: From looking at the 1998 video again, the lava level may be part of the swirling black hole level, this skybox only being shown in level 6.

I haven't seen the scenario from the bottom middle screenshot on the back of the insert (also shown in the 1998 video above), but based on the skybox, it looks like it could be from a location I'm unable to trigger in Level 2 or 5.

I hope you're right. The debug menu could really open up a lot more of the beta. I'd definitely buy a mouse if that were the case.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  8. Yakumo

I have a DC mouse so I'll give it a try when my copy shows up and let you know if it makes any difference.

9. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Excellent, looking forward to your explorations with the game :)

Update: I tested on a Rev 0 July '99 US dreamcast today (metal fan and heatsinks model)
    All known bugs and those present from my Rev 1 testing were also present (first level boss crash, inaccessible hilltop in level 4, nothing loads when choosing level 3 from start menu, etc). Unusual differences were:
    1) Level 6 would not load from the start menu no matter what
    2) Level 2 would crash and reset the DC right before the boss scenario begins to load, which happens to be the same place where my nullDC setup also crashes in level 2 - whereas my Rev 1 US DC can get beyond this part and does not crash.

-----

Update from a user post on another forum:
    -dreamcast mouse doesn't seem to do anything, dreamcast JPN keyboard does something

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. Yakumo

interesting. I'll be using a rev1 Japanese DC with the cooling pipes. I wonder if that will be the same?

11. CD ageS

CD ageS Robust Member

I don't know how this would fare any better or differently than using a rev 0 unit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  12. Yakumo

Sorry, I meant Rev0 as in a Japanese launch day console.

13. CD ageS

CD ageS Robust Member

Oh! Well dark has already tested it on a US Rev 0 unit.

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Hes also already tested it on a Rev1 too and said it works better.

15. Yakumo

Is a Japanese launch console the same as a US launch console? I mean do both have the same main board inside?

16. CD ageS

CD ageS Robust Member

They appear to be essentially the same from personal experience. Main board with metal fan and complimentary heat pipes, GD drive manufactured by Yamaha...

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Same bios too iirc

18. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Waiting patiently for my disc :) I will try it on an HKT-3010, I do have the mouse too, will try it as well and let you know unless Yakumo beats me to it ;)

19. Treamcaster

Treamcaster Intrepid Member

Someone needs to test this on an overclocked DC.

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

So it can crash FASTER?

C-Kronos likes this.