(UK) Don't ship anything you value via Parcel2Go or MyHermes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by retro, Dec 5, 2017.

1. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

Potentially STOLEN.... and a warning for fellow UK collectors about choosing your carrier wisely!

My friend sent me this animation cel last month. It belonged to her late Stepfather, who may or may not have been involved in the production (we aren't sure what it is... any suggestions gratefully received!).

[​IMG]

She chose Parcel2Go, who are essentially a broker who offer discounts with several carriers, as their bulk shipping volume qualifies for savings. Until now, that was a decision I thought was fine. Now, though, I would strongly advise AGAINST using Parcel2Go.

Unfortunately, she didn't send via Parcelforce as per usual, but took the cheap option and chose myHermes. This is a very cheap carrier, part of the Hermes / OTTO group. I told her that I'd had issues with them, but she went with it. She told me that the Parcel2Go system wouldn't allow her to insure it for more than £20, due to the glass. Alarm bells rang!

Well, MyHermes failed to collect the following day, a Thursday. Or Friday. She rebooked it on Monday, saying she'd drive the 8 miles to the local drop-off shop. When she got back, the driver arrived... telling her he only worked Monday-Wednesday! There's another alarm bell.. don't trust a company that works part time!

Well, the system says they attempted delivery Wednesday 15 November. Unfortunately, my whole family were in, we had several deliveries, but not MyHermes... and no card was left. That evening, it was marked as "Delayed - investigating". The following day, despite being "sorted at regional depot", it didn't arrive. However, they claim it was "delivered to safe place" at 06:38 on the Friday. A bit of an antisocial hour, don't you think? Unfortunately, my Dad was awake and nobody had come to the door, and no card was left. I looked around the property - nothing. So I checked the "safe place" and was shocked to find it was "letterbox"!

As you can see, the item is large. It doesn't fit in our letterbox. A C5 envelope doesn't fit in our letterbox without serious bending.

I tried calling MyHermes to find out where it was. The website has a section for recipients who haven't received their parcel, which says, "To speak to one of our advisors about your delivery or collection please call us on 0330 333 6556.
    Our team of advisors are available to answer your questions between the hours of 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 8am-6pm on weekends."

Well, every option on that line says to chat with live support! So I tried. They told me the item was delivered. I insisted it wasn't. They refused to give me the depot details (which would be the easiest solution) due to the "Data Protection Act" (which doesn't protect businesses). They refused to talk to me any more, as Parcel2Go requested all issues go through them.

Parcel2Go don't have a phone number, so I (eventually) found their live chat (which is hidden). They refused to talk to me, as I wasn't the sender! So I had to get my friend to talk to them. They put in an investigation, but insisted the parcel had been delivered.

So I sent a parcel via MyHermes. When the driver turned up, I quizzed him. He said that he's our delivery driver, he's not allowed to deliver before 8am so that's wrong. He then gave some rather curious explanation when I said the item wouldn't fit in the doorbox... "yeah, it wouldn't fit.... err, I mean.... I think I rem... it was a parcel, right?"

Well, you're a parcel delivery company... that's a safe bet!

"Yeah, it was a parcel. I remember it bec... err, I think I remember that one. It was broken. I mean... uhh, we shook it and it jangled like something was broken."

OK, so why didn't you contact me.. or the sender? Or try to deliver it? Why is it marked delivered?

"Uhh... I think it was sent back?"

Somewhat fishy, I'm sure you'll agree! I gave him a letter to give his depot manager, which he agreed to do. It asked the manager to call me that day. I still haven't had a reply. Conveniently, the following day (a Sunday) it was marked as "to be returned"

I tried contacting both companies on Twitter. They ignored me. Several attempts to contact both resulted in the same response - talk to Parcel2Go / we can't talk to you, the recipient. Oh... it's only my property! My friend hasn't had much more luck - they told her the item, sent on a 3-5 day service, is being returned to her and it will take 14 days. Today was day 14, and it wasn't returned. They refunded her £25 (I guess "value" plus shipping) but that's not the true value, and we proved that. The loss of the money is upsetting - neither my friend or I can really afford to write off that amount of money, but it is the loss of the item that really concerns us. It is unique, irreplaceable and a reminder of her late Stepfather.

MyHermes didn't respond to my complaint, so I got management involved. They found someone had "inadvertently" closed the ticket without replying! They also told me the item WAS damaged - something they've never told my friend (they keep ignoring her e-mails) and that it was mistakenly marked as delivered. Hmm.

The investigation through Parcel2Go was supposed to give us answers today. They didn't reply. They have said we need to wait a few more days, then consider the parcel missing... apparently, it wasn't sent back tracked. Why would a carrier send a parcel back untracked, when it is already in the system?

If you ask me, it stinks. Someone at MyHermes knows what's going on and isn't saying. Maybe the driver threw my letter away... if so, we know he's involved. He told me (approximately) where the depot is, so I may have to pay a visit.

It goes without saying that I would recommend AGAINST using myHermes or Parcel2Go to send your valued items.

Parcel2Go's list of prohibited items and items they won't compensate for is so long, you wonder what they DO accept! It's a cop-out - the carrier often WILL insure certain items, but Parcel2Go choose to exclude them.

https://www.parcel2go.com/prohibited-items

2. james2452

james2452 Robust Member

I like hermes , never had a problem with them. Parcelforce messed me about.

3. retro

Parcelforce are far better, as they're a proper company. Hermes hire people to take your packages in their car. They'll often take them home. That's really amateurish, you have no idea where your parcel will be. Just look at Twitter for myHermes bin. Or myHermes thrown. You will see a LOT of people who have had issues with them. And you can't call them to get a resolution. You CAN call Parcelforce.

4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Cheap works out expensive. I never trust carriers like you mentioned. We have one called 'FastWay', honestly questionable company.

DeChief likes this.
  5. Nicky Biscuit

Nicky Biscuit Member

Hermes are a nightmare!! They never leave a calling card, they say they will try to deliver the next day, which doesn't help if you're not in then either. When you do the live chat they only ever say they will try and contact the company delivering but can't promise they'll even read the message. A royal pain in the behind are Hermes!

Really sorry to hear that you've lost such a lovely item. I hope some good comes of it though.

6. spongeonfire

spongeonfire Rapidly Rising Member

I ship most of my items that are not in the EU with Parcel2Go, however i would avoid using MyHermes lol.

Parcel2Go is fine just go with a more reputable company like UPS or Parcel Force.

Also if you are sending stuff that can be insured make sure to take photos of the item/packaging ect. I claimed for two damaged parcels & got my money back. Bit of a pain but it works!

7. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Keep your shirt on.

I think the service you receive varies so much from one driver to another. Obviously the items go through sorting hubs and depots, but a lot of problems seem to start between the local depots and delivery to your door.

8. The-Silmarillion

The-Silmarillion Spirited Member

Any chance you can take them to small claims court & screw them to the wall?

retro likes this.
  9. ShovelThumb

ShovelThumb Gutsy Member

Chin up... never had any trouble with Hermes..

10. retro

No they're not! A broker should actually respond to issues, investigate and get back to you. Not fob you off with a bunch of excuses. They're telling me it's lost, we consider the matter closed... despite the fact the sender insisted on getting the parcel back.

Interparcel are good. They have phone lines. They respond to Tweets. They reply to e-mails. I would never, ever recommend Parcel2Go - they are a complete joke. Don't measure a middle man on "the delivery was fine" - measure them on how they resolve issues when things go wrong. Oh, and as I said, actually LOOK at their list of things they won't insure. It's a complete joke. Sent a bottle? They won't pay out. It could be a metal bottle... it's still a bottle. "Delicate items" - it's for them to decide what is defined as delicate. They won't pay out for a SIM card going missing... what? It's dirt cheap! Need a turntable? Better hope it arrives in one piece!

You're very lucky. They are a complete nightmare. Look at the amount of complaints on Twitter.

Oh by the way, remember the parcel I sent when I spoke to the driver? Yeah, the recipient was a few miles away. It took them 5 days to take it there. They actually sent it half way across the country first! It was sent on a "signed for" service with extra compensation. Nobody answered the door - the recipient was away for 2 days. When he got back, he found it shoved under his gate, during a storm, dripping wet. And they decided it was OK to sign for it themselves. Yeah, "under gate" signed for it!