Two Boxes of SNES chips

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by ozidual, Jan 13, 2019.

1. ozidual

ozidual Gamer

Here are scans as well as a spreadsheet detailing what was found:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h2f64aqavqim1d3/500chips.7z/file

I picked this up on eBay a few months ago, and I haven't been able to find out anything about it since. It's 2 boxes labeled Sharp Electronic Components filled with about 500 SNES rom chips total, and a modified cart with a chip socket. I was able to use the cart to verify the contents of all the chips. No prototypes or anything unfound in there. The chips are for games from all over the world including Japan, USA, Europe in general, Italy, France, Germany and Korea. There were a few bad chips, but the vast majority work just fine. I'm assuming that they are in fact all Sharp chips since they all use the same stamp style. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are pictures from the original auction. I went through and documented it all, but those pictures are a bit large.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM
  2. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

So these are original mask roms that can be soldered to a compatible donor pcb?

3. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Looks like someone bought a bunch of cheap SNES or SFC games and desoldered all their maskroms so he could replace them with flashed eproms of sought-after translations, hacks or just rare games and then sold those repros on ebay. What you bought is his trophy case with all the maskroms of the games he killed and his test cartridge he used to test each eprom before he soldered them to the game PCBs.

4. ozidual

ozidual Gamer

That's an idea, but it just doesn't feel right with what's here. Here, I probably should have uploaded this earlier:

<see main post>

That's every chip catalogued and confirmed. If they just needed the boards, they would have loaded up on cheap games that used those boards, like Star Fox 2 was put on Uniracers. These chips are from games from around the world and range from cheap to expensive. PAL, NTSC-J and NTSC-U are all there in pretty much equal amounts. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse in Italian and the gold cart version of Bomberman 2 are hard enough to find to name a few. It wouldn't be cheap, and I don't see how it could be profitable.

The boxes are an oddity too since I think they are the same as the chip manufacturer.

Pikmin - yeah, these appear to be the original mask roms. I think 6 or 7 of them are bad, and 2 of them are off by a single byte (appears to be minor corruption).

EDIT: I should also add that I didn't find any sign of solder on any of the chips.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 8:14 AM
  5. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Enthusiastic Member

Nice looking find!

6. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

disagree, the legs look way too clean for that. I doubt they've ever been soldered at all

7. ozidual

ozidual Gamer

I cut down the size of the scans and zipped them up with the spreadsheet. They're all in the first post now.

8. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

My guess is that they were ROM pattern validation samples from the Sharp factory - they look like Sharp parts and the "LH" prefix is correct for Sharp mask ROM devices.

Normally you would keep the sample parts back for comparison if you ever make another batch - but I guess at some point they decided to throw them out and someone grabbed them.

9. ozidual

ozidual Gamer

Thanks TriMesh! That fits pretty well.

If I remember right, Nintendo wouldn't allow publishers to order chips. Nintendo would have ordered chips directly from the manufacturer so these chips would have either come from Sharp or Nintendo or an employee at either. Since not much gets away from Nintendo, the factory makes sense. I just wasn't sure why they would have kept chips back.

The modified SNES cart doesn't really fit since I'm assuming the factory had chip readers of their own. My only guess there is the person who took the chips may have built it to dump all the chips.

Based on the board ID for the cart (SHVC-1J3M-1), only a few of the chips will work on it. The only game I could load with it was Chrono Trigger (I only tried ones known to work with that board). They would have been better off with a SHVC-1A0N-01 if they were using it for gaming so it must have been made for dumping. Incidentally, using this cart and a Super NT, the rom chips needed to be dumped as HIROM no matter what.

EDIT: If anyone would like any more info on these, just let me know. I've tried to document them as best I could.

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Two of those chips with old tape on them have text stating the game name. One looks like Lemmings 2 (could be wrong on that as its hard to see the last two characters.) and the other is World Soccer.

11. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

Lovely stuff.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 7:29 AM
  12. Atombomb66

Atombomb66 Member

That is an awesome find.