Tutorial: Xbox 360 Slim Dual HDD MOD (Works on stock NAND!)

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHaM, Jun 18, 2013.

1. SlickClick

SlickClick Member

Yup... I'm using the internal 250gb M$ sata drive & this gives me 4 extra USB ports now so 4 plus the 2 on front plus 1 out back is a total of 7 usb ports to hook storage devices too...
    Moreover w/ this setup is that it is communicating w/ the system; I/O is happening w/ the hub but not w/o the hub, which is the interesting part...

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I did this mod tonight but i didnt want to cut the case up. I decided to to harvest one of the usb ports on the triple stack connector in the rear. I went ahead and removed the connector to see what i was working with.

from here i simply cut the two inner traces. if you want to do this mod without removing the connector you will have to remove the two resistors and then cut the trace somewhere up stream.

in the picture the resistors are removed.

[​IMG]

3. SlickClick

SlickClick Member

Not sure what craziness you did but that is not what the OPs tut is for or does; he only has a huge hole cut because he has other extensive mods...
    I used a usb extension cord that came w/ a usb wifi card; I simply cut the male end off soldered the 4 wires to the pad locations from the tutorial, ran the wire out the left under the disc drive through a small cut out the size of the usb connector; real clean flush plug look too...

Edit in: thinking on what you did; looks like you removed the "kinect" port...

4. SlickClick

SlickClick Member

Here is my setup... I still have all the factory ports too; this mod adds a usb slot...
    I am using a usb hub but have read else where some one used a SD memory card reader...

Attached Files:

5. citrus3000psi

This is what I did. I desoldered the 3 stacked usb connector (not the kinect port)(I desoldered it just to take a look to see where the traces were going) I cut the trace going to the top port in the stack. I re-soldered the usb stack back on. I then ran wire from 4gb port to the pins of the top port of the usb stack.

So now the bottom two ports of the usb triple stack are normal. The top port is the memory module. Real clean, no cut case. I only need 3 hard drives hooked up + kinect. So this allows me to do this. And I still have the front usb ports. Its a perfect and clean setup for me.

I'm not saying you can't cut the case clean. I just wan't all my wires coming from the same location. Because I'm meticulous like that.

6. SlickClick

SlickClick Member

ok; I get you...
    I'd say invest in an ohm meter so you can trace circuits out in the future...

7. citrus3000psi

I have an ohm. And I did trace them But I just wanted to verify before I started cutting tracers. I have an smd reflow so its easy for me to take off the connector. And honestly, things are tight in there. I'm not sure if I would have been able to get the resistors with the connector in place.

8. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Another way you could do a clean install, is to use micro or mini USB female connectors and simply make a male micro (or mini) USB connector to female USB jack (I don't think an OTG cable will work as it has some extra components)..

SlickClick likes this.
  9. SlickClick

SlickClick Member

I am wondering what the TX/RX speeds are really... Anyone know..?
    Cause My 1TB USB drive is usb 3.0 and I'm using a usb 2.0 hub right now; considering it "was" a direct memory port/bridge I wonder if a 3.0 hub would be any faster/better... Any ideas or input..?

10. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

It's USB 2.0 and will vary on what controller and memory speed you have.
    A USB 2.0 7200rpm HDD may be slower or faster than a USB 3.0 7200rpm HDD simply because the SATA to USB controller may be great or shite....

Actual speeds are negligible IMO as you have a kind of low bandwidth ceiling (which I'm sure is compensated for by the game devs)