GUIDE TUTORIAL: Softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by HEX1GON, May 26, 2013.

1. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

This is for all of those people who have posted here and PM'd me about softmodding their XBOX. I have made a simple softmod tutorial to follow. All you'll need is a USB smallest size you can find (256MB works great), female USB to XBOX cable you can buy these on eBay or make your own and a copy of an exploitable game. Everything is explained in the video. Hope this helps many of you out there :)

It's probably best to watch the video on YouTube than the embedded one here. I do a few things on the PC which is a little hard to see in a small window :p

Any problems just let me know guys, I'll help you out :)

Exploit install service members:

HypoToad

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

If you're on an Xbox 1.0-1.5 you're better off just flashing the TSOP. Then you never have to worry about hard drive issues.

With 1.6, it's either soft mod or chip.

4. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You constantly repeat this. What part of "if you're not good at soldering" don't you get? Many people don't feel comfortable TSOPing, installing modchips, or even just opening the system. I have second thoughts if you even watched the video. It's just to enable you to play your imports and backups. Even though any form of hardware modifications are better, this isn't the case here if someone just wants to use the basic features.

Also, I've instructed people to TSOP before, and it's not an easy process for people new the XBOX at all. This is the easiest method to install a softmod.
    I'm not having a go at you or anything, but this is only a simple method for basic operation.

@LeHaM: That's the method I used originally, even though XBOXHDM requires a PC with IDE it's not the most simple method also not the safest ;) But I would recommend doing this method first, then making an XBOXHDM disc with your EEPROM and make a new hard disk that way. Also thanks for the kind words man :)

5. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Perhaps because you don't need to solder to flash a TSOP? Granted, it's the easiest way to do it if you want to have the ability to reflash on-demand, but if you're just going for a single flash you can use a conductive pen (super easy) or a paperclip and tape if you don't want to solder. On the v1.0 and v1.1 systems, it's even possible to do a TSOP flash without opening the box assuming you have a steady hand and a non-Sharp TSOP chip.

If you do decide to solder, it's not something that I would call hard. I mean, I wouldn't expect a beginner to tackle a 360, but I've used original Xbox systems to teach beginners how to solder, in part because the one or two pads (depending on version of motherboard) that you have to connect are so big, it's perfect for a beginner. One quick dab and you're done. There are no wires. No parts. Just a neat little drop and that's it.

That's just the actual process though. The real reason for recommending it, is because a TSOP flashed system is much more robust than a soft mod. You have to remember that the soft mod was created because it was impossible to TSOP a v1.6 system (due to the part being ROM rather than flashable).

With a TSOP flashed system you never have to worry about experimenting with the system files as you can *always* boot.
    If you completely bork your system, just boot from disc, FTP in and copy over a known working copy.
    Upgrading a hard drive with a TSOP system is similarly easy. You just plug it in, format and start copying files over.
    If you want to, you can set a TSOP system to boot w/o the DVD drive.
    TSOP systems also never have to worry about corrupt font files or "clock loop" issues that sometimes crop up on soft mods.

With a soft mod, upgrading the hard drive is an annoying multi-step process.
    With a soft mod, you can't boot directly off a disc, since the system always has to boot off the hard drive to apply the mod.
    With a soft mod, if anything screws up on the hard drive (or the hard drive crashes) you've got a rough spot to recover from. That's not a worry with a TSOP flash.

If you never plan to upgrade the Xbox hard drive, a soft mod can be done faster than a TSOP flash because you don't have to open the system. But if you do plan on upgrading the hard drive, then a TSOP flash is not only safer, it's also faster.

The main reason I bring it up is because there seem to be a whole bunch of people discovering the original Xbox for the first time and, quite honestly, many seem to have never heard of the TSOP flash. If you're new to the system I can see how the softmod would be appealing, but once you've gotten familiar with it (and had to fix softmod systems that other people inadvertently screwed up), it's something that you avoid unless absolutely necessary. It was designed as a method of last resort, so seeing it recommended as the first step makes me cringe a bit.

If someone knows the risks and still wants to do it, then bully for them. I'm happy to answer questions about it. When it comes to general recommendations however, I'll stick to a process that is both easy and near impossible to screw up.

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have to agree that a tsop flash is better, even for a beginner. Beginners are more likely to screw up the boot sequence with a softmod, then its much much harder to repair. Tsop flashed just means you need to insert a DVD to fix it.

That doesnt mean that an easy to follow softmod tutorial isnt helpful though. Discussing which is better or not really isnt necessary in this thread, is it?

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

This isn't a thread to discuss other options for OTHER methods. This is purely to boot your backups or imports which was my point in the video. Not about upgrading your hard disk, or doing anything else smart.

A bad TSOP will land your XBOX as a paperweight as well. It's not bulletproof like you're saying - not disagreeing the TSOP isn't the way to go. Of course you can install a modchip and that will fix the issue but that includes soldering and buying more materials ;) I still stand saying Softmod is the easiest form.

You're more than welcome to create a video or a thread instructing a TSOP and I'll sticky it.

8. DevHackr

DevHackr Enthusiastic Member

This was a nightmare for me, and your guide saved my sanity. Problems started as soon as I got the female usb adapter. Plugged in like 15 different usb thumb sticks and drives and NONE of them worked. So I ended up ordering a new thumb stick off ebay that I saw in someone else's guide. (Which ended up being the same one you use in the video) So I pop it into the xbox and it formats fatx, but then my PC wouldn't recognize it in Xplorer360. After 2 and a half hours of smashing my face on my desk and finally digging out an old XP laptop I got it all running. What a fucking nightmare. Thanks for putting one guide on youtube that wasn't total shit.

9. nodots

nodots Active Member

To anyone reading this thread: a USB drive LESS than 2GB should be used (512MB is ideal). I tried a 4GB once, and the stock BIOS choked on it.

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I mention this in the video.

11. waffeldelta

waffeldelta <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Great video, thank you HEX1GON!
    I've got a question about the exploitable games. You said the best game to get would be 007 Agent Under Fire while Mechassault only works with a certain serialnumber and
    Splinter Cell is even worse than Mechassault, is that right? I might be able to get Splinter Cell, I don't know if it's a classic version or first print, but what are the requirements that this one will work?

The problem is that this game is the only one I could rent from a friend, if Splinter Cell is really that hard to exploit (or to get the right version?) than I'll probably need to buy Agent Under Fire.

-Waffeldelta

12. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Splinter Cell should be fine, I've seen people say the Classics version also works.

13. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

To avoid issues, get a black label copy, and AUF is just the most stable out of the lot and easiest to use for me personally.
    Best to actually own the game instead of borrowing it. In the future it's a great tool ;)

14. A Toubib

A Toubib Midnight Xbox Crew

I tried it out, after 2 hours of struggling, I got it to work. :)

Note: when opening xplorer if you get error message "msvcr71.dll is missing" go to your computer (folder) search for msvcr71.dll and copy it to the folder xplorer resides.

Note 2: All versions of splinter cell (NTSC) will work on softmod.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  15. NeC5552

NeC5552 All your skullz are belong to us.

I found that hard at first but SID5 Pimped CD Edition (a trimmed down version of the Pimped XBOXHDM pack)proved to be ridiculously easy and saved my 1.4 Xbox (256k Winbond TSOP :| ) from becoming a paperweight,due to my disc I made throwing out error 13.

That way I softmodded my Xbox,and while I was at it with case opened I thought of doing the TSOP flash using HeXEn and had success. BIOS used was X2 4981.

The only thing I have to do now is get a bigger HDD (40GB will suffice) and copy my 10GB over it. (guess it's gonna take a while since I have to copy through FTP)

16. FlyingHellfish

FlyingHellfish Member

Doing this tonight.

I have two PAL XBOXs (should the worst happen, haha). PAL splinter cell, the files and a 64mb (!) thumb stick. Already tried my 4gb and 512mb sticks, but no joy - so having to borrow this from a colleague.

Thanks

17. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Please could you indicate compatible USB stick, tested and certificated.

thanks

18. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Transend JetFlash 256MB - That's the one I used.

19. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang My goodness, it's nipley out!

If you have a PSP, the Xbox will read it as a storage device.

20. dcnigma

dcnigma Active Member

Another Question on the topic..
    Is there a way to change the IGR (in game reset) for softmod?
    I started using Evoxdash just for that so I can set it to "back and start" only 2 button reset.
    Need this for my Coinops Cab (no trigger connected to joystick).
    But now it reboots in to Evoxdash but if i boot directly in to coinops or visonary i lose the igr function.
    I know you can change the IGR in bios for modchips but can i do this for my soft mod?
    Need to copy my C drive to take a closer look forgotten how softwork work do they use a bios??
    The xbox is not hooked on the network so its easier to ask the Question. :)
    Sorry for my laziness :) did a search on google but din´t get the results i wanted....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015