[Tutorial] Making your own PS1 Modchips

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mord.Fustang, Mar 7, 2015.

1. ponsai

ponsai Member

Yes, the 3FFFs are being read in MicroBrn. I'm not sure if they are suppose to be the default blank hexes. I'm new to this because I thought making my own modchip would be easy and also cheaper than buying one. I've googled the problem but I can't find any definitive answers.

2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Without plugging in my K150 I'm not sure if as you say the "default" ones in MicroBrn just handle differently. If it's being read back fine then you should be fine. Don't forget to set the CALIB/OSCAL value! Also note them incase the burn goes wrong as mentioned near the end of the tutorial.

As for cost effectiveness, if you only need 1 or 2 it's probably easier and cheaper to just buy them from somebody but nothing beats just doing it yourself. ;)

ponsai likes this.
  3. ponsai

ponsai Member

I just got done soldering my modchip in my playstation, but it's not playing any backups that I burned. Some read as audios CDs and others it tells me to insert a Playstation CD-ROM.

I had my dad solder in the chip since he has 25+ years of experience soldering electronics. Any reasons why my modchip (12F629 - Mayumi 4.0) isn't working?

4. Mord.Fustang

It's possible it's either a bad burn, or perhaps the OSCAL wasn't done properly (it's easy to mess up from my experience with the K150).

Also, I don't think it is, but there's also a possibility that the Mayumi 4.0 port on 12F629 isn't playing nicely with your console. Let me know which model you have.

If you have any 8-pin sockets, solder in one of those instead so you can easily swap out chips. Will save you lots of time.

5. ponsai

ponsai Member

I have a scph-9001, I just used the other blank I had and programmed another Mayumi 4.0. Now my console will freeze at the Sony logo while playing blanks and originals.

6. Mord.Fustang

I personally tested my Mayumi 4.0 port on 12F629 on a 9001 so it must be a bad burn somehow or a bad install.

7. ponsai

ponsai Member

Most likely a bad install as my soldering skills are non-existant. I'm not sure if it's a bad burn because I've verified, programmed, and erased my last 12F629 a couple of times.

As you mention OSCAL on your post above, what could be the problem with it? MicroBrn asks me to change the OSCAL value into a RETLW instruction (when they were blank it was 3Fxx and not RETLW).

One chip I had programmed to ignore this and the other I had programmed pressing yes to the OSCAL change. The one with the OSCAL change froze up at the sony logo while the other just did nothing at all. I also found that I might have had code protect rom on, perhaps this was the problem?

Edit: I've resolder the Mayumi 4.0 without Code Protect and it's still freezing at the sony logo, then it goes back to main menu with backup and originals.

Edit 2:Alright I've taken out the chip again and now I'm considering whether I should use a different hex. Everything works fine, originals boot and play. Backups don't. I have everything soldered to right points, even tried ALT pin 1 with both chips.

Edit 3:Will messing around with the fuse settings in MicroBrn help?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  8. Mord.Fustang

Code Protect should be off because there's no real reason to have it on and it just makes reading back the chip the chip more difficult. It's set to off by default in my ports anyways. So yes, keep it off.

When MicroBrn asks to change it to a RETLW instruction, hit Yes.

You shouldn't need to mess around with the fuses except for the ones above.

Again, note the OSCAL value somewhere, like on paper, before it gets corrupted somehow.

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Mayumi v4 doesn't care about oscal as it doesn't use the internal oscillator.

Mord.Fustang likes this.
  10. Mord.Fustang

Oh you're right, I forgot about that detail. Thanks.

Regardless, I would still note it at least, just in case.

11. ponsai

ponsai Member

I soldered in a MM3 in my scph-9001 and it still doesn't play backups. I get the please insert a Playstation CD-Rom screen but it will play originals and fully boot them. Could it be a laser problem or a media problem? I'm using Verbatim AZO discs which were recommended, Taiyo Yudens CD-Rs were a bit too pricy for me.

Edit:Tried some cheap philips CD-Rs to see if it would make a difference, guess it wasn't media. The only thing I could guess what's wrong is the chips I have, the laser might need to be adjusted, or the programmer I have is faulty.

I didn't update the firmware for the K150, just used it right out of the package. What do you guys think?

12. Mord.Fustang

Burn an audio CD using your CD-Rs... if it can read it, then it's not the laser.

I didn't update mine when I got it. I think I wrote earlier in this thread that I didn't think the K150 was the greatest, though. It can be finnicky.

13. ponsai

ponsai Member

Alright I might have found out the problem. I was soldering pins 5,6,7 and 8 backwards, connecting pin 8 to 5 and so forth. I've corrected that mistake but now my drive is not spinning CD-Rs. Also my Playstation can read audio CDs, I've bumped into a completely new problem but now I'm sure that it wasn't my programmer at all or the media.

Would this have damage my CD drive? I've connected everything and even pressing down the button to make CDs spin will not make my drive spin. So now I can't check whether my chip works or not.

Edit:Alright I've taken out every wire, plus the modchip, and the drive works. I now know the mistake I was making however the only thing that's stopping me from playing games is that my drive won't spin whenever I have the Mayumi v4 in there.

Maybe it's bad soldering on my part, but this time I'm going to solder in the MM3 the right way and see if this works. Any advice would be appreciated.

14. Mord.Fustang

15. ponsai

ponsai Member

Man, finally got my drive to work along with the MM3 chip I soldered in. All that frustration due to me soldering some wires the wrong way. Thanks for the help and making realize what my problem was.

16. Mord.Fustang

Well at least you got it working. :) No prob.

17. ponsai

ponsai Member

When I thought I was finally done with problems, after finally getting my modchip to work with backups, my Playstation isn't giving off video signal or sound through the TV. Yesterday I booted about 8 game to check whether the chip was up to the job. All games played great.

I called it a day and slept but now I don't know what the problem is besides the soldering. The drive still spins when the lid is closed, but I tried another CRT and no dice. It's not getting video or sound either. Anyone have this problem after awhile after you installed your modchips?

Edit: Disregard my post, for some reason I wasn't getting video or sound but now my playstation is deciding to work.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  18. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

i build the programmer ecacly as you do. the only diference is I use a 2n7000 instead of bs170 but the seller says the diference is only the pinout example the bs is 123 the 2n7000 is 321. but picpgm cant find my programmer could be an uncopatible serial?? the pc is realy old 2000 2001 deskpro running win 98se. my new one need to attach a serial from the mobo

19. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

ok my bad I fix it good work btw

20. Nanoshock

Nanoshock Newly Registered

Hm, is it feasible to get a 16F630 up and running using pins 1,2,3,4,11,12,13,14? I tried flashing MM3 12F629 ported hex to it and wiring it up in the 4 pin format to a NTSC-J PU-7 console and if I connect voltage to 5v then it boots an import/backup once ever 10 or so power cycles, with voltage connected to 3v that drops to about once in 20.

I'm assuming this is because MM3 isn't designed to work on the older type boards and I should instead be using MM2.1 but I only have 16F630's on hand at the moment, does anyone know of a PU-7 compatible 12F629 port?

<EDIT>
    Scratch that, after messing with it all night last night within 15 minutes of trying today, I flashed garyOPA's PSX_12F629_V2 to it and it works every time now!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016