[Tut] How to rebuild a retail TU for use on XDK's

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by fate6, Feb 2, 2015.

1. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

EDIT: I'll upload TU's I make from time to time on this OneDrive folder. Anyone is free to link or reupload or whatever, Go nuts!
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ascq2DTMUlASgb0w7TLQwFZiz_7mJg

EDIT: Fixed link!
    Text Guide
    ==============​
    After a whole lot of soda and about 2 hours of banging my head on my keyboard I finally was able to successfully convert a retail TU into a dev TU!
    Now you might be wondering why this matters since you can always just patch the default.xex with the update but this seems to cause more problems then it solves as many games will crash.
    While I do have an idea as to why they crash(need to replace/overwrite resources with the new ones probably) I feel it would be far better to simply run the updates as was intended.

Unfortunately it seems I was either the only person to feel this way or information(like always) is being kept secret for no reason.

kk so the like 2 guys with dev kits interested in retail games are probably at the edge of their seats so without farther post padding have a tut!

==Requirments==
    Xbox 360 XDK
    Xbox 360 SDK
    xextool
    wxPirs

=====
    First up dump the game you will be making the update for, I dump my retails games by installing them on my retail system then connecting my HDD to my PC(Or just install to USB if you have one big enough)
    next use Party Buffalo to copy the install files from the HDD to your PC and use "God2Iso" to convert to... well ISO... Next! we use "XBOX 360 ISO Extract" to dump the ISO!

Congrats we now have what the c00l kidz call a "JTAG Rip" but more importantly we now have access to all the games files!

Now we will need the Title Update which we will be converting(rebuilding is more accurate) so either run the game on a retail system so it grabs the latest TU from XBL or head on over to XboxUnity.net but you will need to know the MediaID of the game since they have TU's for multiple ones.

Cool so you have the TU! kk now run "wxPirs" and open the TU then extract all files to it's own folder(I named mine "TU").

Now comes the fun! First make a back up of your games xex files which have a corresponding "xexp" file in the TU to a separate folder(I assume dll's as well but I haven't tried a game with those yet"
    aaanywhooo lets assume you are trying to patch MW3 (since its what I used do to my knowing it works if xex patched)
    KK so MW3 has two xex files that we need to mess with so back up its default.xex and default_mp.xex as we will be needing three copies of it(we will just have one original that we get our copy for simplicities sake)
    Now lets start with our first copy, this one will go with the rest of our games files which for this tut will be in "A:/MW3/Base/" but before that we will use xextool to grab the version number of our game.
    I keep my xextool in a folder named "xex" then place the default.xex in there now open up a CMD window and "cd" your way to your xextool then run the following command "xextool.xex -l default.xex > default.txt"

What that command will do is first run xextool with the "l" switch which tells xextool to list the properties of our xex file then the ">" tells it to print the output to a file which we named default.txt
    Open up the txt file and head for line 52 which should be the version of the xex, For MW3 it will be 0.0.0.2
    This will also be the case for its default_mp.xex

After that we will patch the xex files to dev, Run "xextool.exe -m d default.xex" and "xextool.exe -m d default_mp.xex"
    We will also remove the "media limit" since the game does actually check where it is run from, I have the disk version of MW3 so it will only run via disk afaik.
    Simply run "xextool.exe -r m default.xex" and "xextool.exe -r m default.xex" then move those xex files into the base game directory with the rest of the games files.

Congrats! The game is now dev patched and ready to be ran from anywhere! well the base game is but we still need to make the TU!

Now make another copy of the clean files then we will patch them with their xexp file we got from the TU, I hope you didn't close that CMD window cause it will be used a lot! Now copy the "default.xexp" and "default_mp.xexp" and place them in our xextool folder which also has the xex files.
    in CMD type "xextool.exe -p default.xexp default.xex" followed by "xextool.exe -p default_mp.xexp default_mp.xex" and finally run "xextool.exe -l default.xex > default_patched.txt" so we can get what the update version is.

After words run the same commands as before to patch them to dev then to remove the media limit, Place then in their own folder, I called mine "UPBIN"

What this does is patch the xex file with its TU patch so it doesn't need the separate TU, This is the old way of updating but the reason we need it is two fold

1) XLAST needs a updated xex file to make the update
    2) XLAST needs the version the TU is updating our game to

Speaking of XLAST its time we started it up cause guess how we will be making a new dev signed TU ;D, In XLAST start a new "Auto Update Package", For "Autoupdate Package Name" name it whatever but it would be useful to name it something that has to do with the game so I named mine "MW3 TU 23"
    "Project Directory" is where the TU will be compiled so put it somewhere easy to get to, I pointed it to "A:/XLAST/MW3/UPDATE/"

"Retail ID" is the "Title ID" of the game, It can be found in that "default.txt" we made earlier which for MW3 its "415608CB"

"Base Version" is the version of the unpatched game which if you recall from before it is "0.0.0.2" for MW3

"Path to original game build" is the game itself which is why we needed a dump of it, Ours was "A:/MW3/Base/"

"Path to updated game binaries" is the xexp patched xex files we just made, Ours is in "A:/MW3/UPBIN"

"Update version" is what version the game will be once it is updated, It will be in the "default_patched.txt" we made before, MW3 at TU 23 is 0.0.23.2

Alrighty! almost done! Now all that remains is adding any and all files that where in the retail TU to our dev TU, If you have been following with me then they should be in the folder you named "TU" way back in the beginning when we extracted the files from the retail TU.
    Simply click on that little "+" next to the present looking thing in XLAST then right click on "Updated Files"and click on "Add File" and all all the files that where in the retail TU, For any folders simply click on "Add Folder"

Once all files are in place then simply click on "Action" in the XLAST toolbar and "Install Locally", Thats it! You have now rebuilt a retail TU for use on a devkit! There is one more thing tho and thats the location of the TU, XLAST puts it in "HDD:\$TitleUpdate\{title ID}\" but while it does work from there IDK if it is kept there permanently or whatever so I simple place it where it normally would be
    which for MW3 is in the Content partition at "415608CB/000B0000" so simply place it there and it will work fine tho it won't have a icon if you look at it in the retail dash's settings.
    (Just use "360 Content Manager" to see where the TU needs to go)

It will also be in "A:/XLAST/MW3/UPDATE/BuildFiles/Dest"

I have tried this only with an MW3 that I patched to dev and removed media limit via xextool as stated in the tut so IDK what would happen if you tried using a "X360GameHack" patched game since by default it zeros the media ID among a bunch of other stuff it patches.

Sooooo yea! While I might have made it sound hard do to my terrible explanation skills it really isn't, In fact it is so simple that it completely went over my head for quite a long time.

I'll Be trying it with GoW3 soon enough as it was the game that originally got me on the path to all this madness in the first place! Anywho I know this might be trivial to some with the know how and might have even made a simple tool to automate the whole thing but do to the lack of openness, information and just plain hoarding of anything and everything cause "I 1z $0 l337" I had to reinvent the wheel
    I just hope my silly little "discoveries" and the fact that I share what I find will motivate more people to share knowledge in this oh so stagnate scene of ours.

Video Guide(No Audio)
    ========

Here is the tools used in the video, Well all but XLAST since that's part of the SDK.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ascq2DTMUlASgb14u3RPr8bWPMVKaQ

EDIT: Fixed link!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. deep3r

deep3r Fiery Member

Good tutorial pal! Very helpful!

3. fate6

Thankies! Hopefully I can get one of my retails to live long enough so I can dump GoW3 and Portal 2 again cause seems I don't have GoW3 on my PC and I need a clean default.xex for Portal 2.

If someone would do me the favor of testing this TU thingy on both of these games that would be lovely!
    GoW3 cause it was why I started all this and Portal 2 cause it has lots of dll files that need patching so I want to see if it would work with these convert TU's.

EDIT: So after trying this with Resident Evil 6 I have figured out a couple of things

1) the default.xex must remain named as such since the TU is looking for it but I believe that if you rename it before making the update (rename the one in the base game and the updated one) it should work since from what I can tell it looks in the TU for the xexp named after the xex.

2) Put the updated xex with the rest of the TU files instead of its own folder like I said in the OP, It wont let you add files to the TU if they are not in the folder where you pointed it to get the updated binaries.

Anywhoo MW3 and RE6 both work with this TU conversion so it is looking good compatibility wise but afaik it should work 100% considering all we are doing is patching the xex to dev then letting XLAST make a diff patch for it.

BTW RE6 is one of the games I could not get to work via the old patching of the xex method.
    (Kinda wish it didn't work cause I fukken hate RE6 but meh at least I got a previously unplayable TU working)

EDIT2!: It completely slipped my mind(probably from lack of sleep:3) but the RE6 TU normally goes into cache but the dev TU goes into content, its better this way and honestly it doesn't terribly matter but still its a nice little observation.

EDIT3!: I was right about renaming the files before making the TU! This way you can name games for easier viewing/organisation via xshell!

EDIT4!!: Portal and its many dll files are a go! took freaking forever to patch them all but the Dev convert TU works fine tho now I have the problem of it saying the DLC are no good. >_<

Next up is BioShock Infinite since its the only Unreal Engine game I had dumped before my retails died.
    If it works I will assume GoW3 will also work.

EDIT5!!!!: BioShock Infinite works! I am feeling confident in saying all game TU's should work!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    oldengineer and Stipo360 like this.
  4. suprashake

suprashake Spirited Member

do you have a download link for mw3 dev tu23

5. fate6

I don't but if you can't make one yourself I can do it later once the SDK finishes downloading for me.

Oh and the CoD games all work fine via good ol' hard patching so you don't need to make a TU for it unless you are like me and are goofy about it.

EDIT: I sorta thought you said MW2 but I'll make a MW3 one real quick like!

http://1drv.ms/1IPDZKu

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Title ID: 41560817
    Media ID: 2C8C0267

EDIT2: Took longer then expected but here ya go!

http://1drv.ms/1TE35E5

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Title ID: 415608CB
    Media ID: 30775D59

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. suprashake

do you happen to have ghosts tu17 rf dev ready. also what all dev tu you got for games. i have been at this for a week tring to get games to patch to dev and the games dont start. all i got working so far is bo2 dev patched tu 18 from you with dev patched dlc i did and still cant get mw3 to start.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  7. fate6

Odd about Ghosts since I have made TUs for it and have patched the xex directly before, I don't have TU17 for it but I can make it later and as for what Dev TUs I made well I haven't uploaded them since I figured meh why bother but I will upload what I have to my OneDrive and post a link to the folder later.

Have you tried making the TU yourself? I know I explain it weirdly but it's not all that hard. if that is a hassle then why not patch the xex directly? just make a new folder anywhere then grab the TU for your version of Ghosts then extract with "wxPirs", place the default.xexp and default_mp.xexp in that new folder along with the clean unmodified default.xex and default_mp.xex, next get xextool and place it in that same folder and start a cmd prompt, you will need to navigate to that folder that has all the stuff but once there just type the following one at a time without the quotation marks

"xextool.exe -p default.xexp default.xex"
    "xextool.exe -p default_mp.xexp default_mp.xex"
    "xextool.exe -m d default.xex"
    "xextool.exe -m d default_mp.xex"
    "xextool.exe -r m default.xex"
    "xextool.exe -r m default_mp.xex"

that will update the default.xex and default_mp.xex with the TU and make it dev then remove the media restrictions.
    After that just place the now updated xex files and all the folders and files from the TU into the game and let it overwrite the old xex files.

EDIT: Only has MW2/3 and Sonic Transfomred but I figure meh what evz
    http://1drv.ms/1TSaieG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

by the way you can combine the commands for xextool

"xextool -ra -md default.xex"

save a little time.

fate6 likes this.
  9. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Awesome tutorial, thanks for this!

[hey 600 post hype]

10. suprashake

WTF 1st i ran xextool.exe -p default.xexp default.xex 2ed xextool.xex -p default_mp.xexp default_mp.xex. 3rd xextool.exe -ra -md default.xex 4th xextool.exe -ra -md default_mp.xex. default.xex starts just find. now here's the WTF. i can get default_mp to start but it go's to a black screen then freeze's. no guide working and have to hard shut down the console. i am using xextool 1.8 gui. also have tried xextool 2.0 gui. this is pissing me off. all i want to do is start learning how to make content trainers. but this dev sighing is bs on xdk. if anyone can please help me on phone or skype would be super sweet. i have free calling to anywhere in the usa. thank you. have a good day

11. fate6

Yea you really should have saved some money and gotten a modded retail system.... It would have saved you some headaches.
    Anywhoo mind posting the Media ID of the game? I have no idea which is the region free one since I only have my NA version of Ghosts.

I might make a video tut but that will have to wait a bit.
    was making a Fallout mod then got sorta burned out on it but I really should finish it ;_;

12. suprashake

lol it was cheaper at the time when i picked up my xdk. lol $111 for the xdk and a freeboot was $140. hold on getting MiD. i am unziping to find out now.. i ask you to also do advanced warfare but there still droping new TU. i mainly need mw3 bo2 ghosts and aw when aw stopping putting out TUs and last but not lest bo3

also i feel like a dumb ass for asking but how do i use the mw3 dv tu you sent me
    ghosts media id 3CC5A411

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. suprashake

also i would love if you can make a video tut to get retail games working on XDK. i think i would be ok if i can at lest get one game working by myself. thanks too you for your help with TU

14. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Its as simple as running the xex through xbox360gamehack or xextool.

15. suprashake

i have done both and default_mp.xex just freezs. idk what to do. lol but default.xex works just fine.

16. fate6

To install the ones I uploaded just put them in.
    "Xbox 360 Neighborhood\Surimu\HDD\Content\0000000000000000"

Surimu is the name of my XDK so just replace that bit with whatever you called yours, Do make sure the xex the game is using is clean except for it being dev and having its media limit removed, I think the GUI tool has those options so just uncheck everything else and it should work but I use CLI so I have no idea.

Anywhoo I tried making a video but seems my PC is just a tad laggy sooo... :(
    TU17 for Ghosts is uploading but it's going to be a bit do to very spotty connection right now.

EDIT: scratch that! it will be longer now since my home interwebz is kill ;_;
    fak comcast!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  17. suprashake

ok sounds good. thank you for helping me out.

18. fate6

Alrighty! Ghosts TU17 is up and i'll do Advanced Warfare later since it's kinda late over here.
    Honestly I'll probably just do all the CoD games(4+ anyway) since most are not being updated and I do plan on getting BO3.

http://1drv.ms/1HZeC4Z
    Or just check the OneDrive folder I linked.

19. suprashake

ok. sound good on aw. that would be bitchin. yah i hope we get bo3 this year. this link works just fine. i have to ask. what mods are you working on for fallout. i am a big fan of fallout new vegas. i would like to know more about what you are doing. thank you ones again for your help. you have a good day.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  20. fate6

I just use the DevResigner but MW3 is a special case in that I never did get any of its DLC working offline.
    The other CoD games DLC works except anything that is not a map so no new weapons or camos or in the case of AW no extra slots either.

BO2 has a very nice trainer that lets you use the DLC weapons and camos but unfortunately the guy that made that (ESTE was his name I think) no longer makes trainers from what I can tell, I think he also made one for Ghosts that let you not only set any weapons and camos but also let you set any characters so I was playing as Cpt. Price.

As for Fallout mods well I'm just fixing the stats on the dragbody armor collection since I ported the entire thing from FNV to FO3.
    I'm talking like 150+ armors here ;_: