Turok: Evolution Beta Dump

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by FuckinFrog, Jan 17, 2019.

1. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

Hello, everybody. As you may know from my previous thread, I collect previews, reviews, betas, alphas and merchandise related to Turok: Evolution.

This is because I am a big fan of the series, but also because I think that these discs deserve to be shared with all the people out there who are interested in the series and who like to dig into the files in search of even more unused content. (The unused content in the final game is plentiful and it reveals some pretty amazing things that got cut out due to time constraints)

So far, I've only been able to track down betas from quite late into development, but nevertheless, I will share them here for all to enjoy!

[​IMG]
    *Turok: Evolution Xbox Betas:*
    AC00402E-R1 (August 11th, 2002, 21:41:50)
    https://mega.nz/#!piQnQC5b!5GHuVGD_WL85YDzaynED4CElS8p0Hk35JEFJFtOB15c
    AC00402E-R2 (July 28th 2002, 17:49:14)
    https://mega.nz/#!06RTgI4A!bym4JUlPYxO6cVLqIpAxzzBy0BwKtBmUM3Q74cWGCQc
    I am in physical posession of these 2 beta stacks.

[​IMG]
    *Turok: Evolution PS2 Beta:*
    https://mega.nz/#!1qBWFKbC!qlOcZ0wWGykf_2CNGej2Jbe9QPjl4kPjoTluSTejKa0
    While I do not own this disc, the seller on ebay was kind enough to make a ISO of it and send it my way. Sadly, the ISO appears to be broken as the supertre file that contains all of the games content appears to be corrupted and completely empty. So much for that.
    Whether or not its broken on the actual disc as well is yet unknown.

I did extract 2 unique attract demos that differ alot from the final game and are nowhere to be seen in the final versions of their respective platforms retail release and I've made a video of some artwork in the beta that is not in the final release of the game. (Placeholders, unique concept art, developer jokes)

I do not yet own a capture card but I plan to document alot of the beta differences once I get one. Enjoy! :)

P.S. I would appreciate it if the people in charge of Prototopia would also backup this game and add it to the list on their website.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    good, Syclopse, _XBOX_ and 2 others like this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Well first of all this file is just full of 00, so im guessing this either is just a really big null file, or something wasnt ripped right
    upload_2019-1-17_13-6-50.png
    upload_2019-1-17_13-9-57.png

Secondly in GAME.TXT it references locations that apparently dont exist, so I'm assuming theyre in the file above, but since the file above is all 00, there's not much to really do here
    upload_2019-1-17_13-8-14.png
    upload_2019-1-17_13-7-44.png

So unless youre 100% sure theres data here that we're just not seeing, chances are it wasn't ripped right, or never had anything important on it to begin with

3. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

The GAME.TXT refers to levels that are hidden within the supertre file. The supertre is a highly compressed file that contains all of the games content aside from cutscenes (music, textures, models, .atr files, actors, turok4.game script, you name it)

I know this game inside out by now. I have not yet looked through this particular supertre but if you want, I'll just link you to a .tre extractor. Please do keep in mind that all the files that will be exported will either be extensionless or .bin and you will need to sort through them manually to find out what is what.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Okay but heres the problem, that file is all 00. There is no data in there at all. Open it in a hex editor and see for yourself

5. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

The person I received it from must've ripped it wrong or your hex editor is simply not compatible with the file.

This is the type of stuff that really puts people off from sharing anything. Instead of saying thank you for the builds, you point out a mostly invalid claim and leave.

In some better news, I think the reason why there is no .ELF file might be because the game was ment for a TEST unit. Does anyone know if there is a way to boot this on an emulator at least? I've had no luck thus far. If not, does anyone have a TEST unit that they can test the game on?

6. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

Thanks for the release.

Syclopse, Zant and FuckinFrog like this.
  7. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

You realize that's not possible right
    You realize I've released more builds than any single person on this site right (except maybe drx)? I'm telling you the reason it's not booting is because the file that should contain assets for everything is 100% empty. Instead of being mad that I'm telling you anything other than thank you, how about you look at why I'm saying anything at all
    Something is wrong with the build, go ask the seller what the deal is because the options are as follows: 1) The disc stated like this and nothing is wrong, 2) The disc was ripped wrong or processed wrong

Okay so it's clear you dont understand the PS2. The SLUS_XXX.XX file IS the ELF file. It's literally just renamed as sony demands. This has stayed true for the PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS Vita (With eboot.bin becoming the standard name for all main elf files for PSP/PS3 onwards)

So instead of being an ass to me, try looking at why nobody said thanks yet. You said the build didn't work, I tried it on real hardware as you shared it, I extracted and repacked it to see if that would work (since it sometimes does), and it still returned the same error, and your claim of the supertree file being the main asset file is correct, but since it's literally full of 00 theres literally no data in it. it's just a 1.6gb file of nothing.
    If it doesnt work under emulation or real hardware, and a core file that should contains assets doesnt contain anything, then maybe JUST MAYBE its because the disc wasnt ripped properly OR thats how the disc really is.

I'll thank you for the Xbox ones but not the PS2 one since something is very clearly not right about it

8. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

You don't have to be a prick about everything. No wonder this website is dead.

You are right about one thing though, I have almost no knowledge of how the PS2 works in terms of betas or anything else other than your standard freemcboot .elf loaders. My expertise lies in the original Xbox, not the PS2.
    As for the supertree, I guess the seller did a really shit job at extracting it. Oh well, lets hope the person who bought the disc will see this. That way, he can tell us whether or not its this way on the actual disc as well.

9. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

You said there was a problem. It didnt boot. I tried some stuff out and yes it doesnt boot, and I explained why it's not booting.Instead of proceeding with the discussion you decided to play victim as if I personally attacked you.
    You then bitched about not say thanks as if it had relevance to explaining why it's not working. Since you're going to be an aggressive asshole, why should I be nice to you? I did my part to confirm if your claim was right, and it was. I did my part to see why, and tell you why it's not working (it wasnt hard to assume the data had been put in this big file. lots of games do this). The whole point of my post was to say "hey that big file on the disc that might contain everything is empty"

In addition you're also making a claim about "no ELF file" while also not knowing about the system it's for. I will give leeway on not knowing the PS2, but you can at the very least look around the data for a very brief amount of time and come to a completely different conclusion.The absolute bare minimum of loading it into a hex editor will show you everything you might need to know and you didn't bother trying, but instead jumped right at someone telling you why it's not working.
    upload_2019-1-17_13-48-56.png

In summary, I dont owe you a thanks, but I also dont feel like being told I'm an ass for pointing out the biggest problem with the image dump. If there's a file to point to some place on the build, and the place it points to is empty, then its obviously going to crash and never load anything, because there's nothing to load.

But whatever man thanks for the dumps, thanks for being an ass, and thanks for realizing I was right from the start even after you started out with playing victim. Good luck on finding the disc because you'll certainly need it

Shadha likes this.
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Lol @op.

It was pointed out to you have this file is damaged/missing. You can't get a hex editor that's incompatible. It literally just shows the file raw and doesn't try to interpret the data at all.

Going off on one is a crazy way to react.

@PixelButts if it helps, you don't come off as the bad one here.

@FuckinFrog thanks for sharing stuff. No thanks for kicking off when someone is trying to help you.

11. _XBOX_

_XBOX_ Rising Member

Thanks for 2 Xbox betas!

TheNew likes this.
  12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

One thing has gone well today and it's reading this quote.

13. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

upload_2019-1-24_21-50-3.png
    Can you ask Demon why it says redump needed? The betas work fine and have been dumped from the discs using a original Xbox dev kit.
    @PixelButts

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Probably to confirm the dump.

Dumps are generally verified from multiple independent sources to confirm the dump is good.

If 2 people rip it and its the same then likely hood is that its good.

15. FuckinFrog

FuckinFrog Rising Member

Both me and CodeASM have ripped the discs so I can confirm that nothing went wrong there. :)

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Not saying it did. But dumping groups generally want at least 2 people to submit dumps to have them verified.