Triumph US prototype eprom cartridge(Gameboy,Hudson Soft)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by sporefrog08, Jun 7, 2015.

1. sporefrog08

sporefrog08 Spirited Member

hi folks,

I introduced this game already in the members collection forum with a lot of information and images(http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/sporefrog08-chaos-collection-a-little-bit-of-everything.56629/) , but I think this forum here is the perfect place for it so I post it here too.

here we have the unreleased US version of the european-only gameboy title "Castle Quest".
    Hudson Soft planned to release the game in the USA in 1991 under the name "Triumph" but it was ultimately canceled.
    the big artwork paper on the following picture is the original Triumph promotional flyer from 1991.I cant say it for sure of course,but it seems,this one is the only known (remaining) copy in the world.
    the Triumph cartridge is one of two known copies in the world.

here are some pics:
    my Castle Quest / Triumph collection
    the development cartridge+eprom with the flyer
    Triumph and Castle Quest
    a screenshot of my gameboy advance sp playing the prototype
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    EETFUK and Borman like this.
  2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Neat, thanks for sharing.

3. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Wow, very cool. Thanks for sharing. I'll check out your other post.

4. mrmark0673

mrmark0673 Robust Member

I privately dumped a US version of Triumph for a friend and still have the ROM, can't for the life of me remember who I dumped it for.

Very cool, especially the artwork. Thanks for sharing!

Bobo Mcloud likes this.
  5. sporefrog08

yes,I know.the mentioned 2nd copy in the world is yours.
    I was already curious how long it will take until you show up here in this thread;)

6. mrmark0673

mrmark0673 Robust Member

Err, it's not mine though. It belonged to a friend who asked me to back it up for him. I'm completely blanking on his name right now as it was a few years back. He sent me the cart, I dumped it for him, mailed it right back.

My brother may remember the name of the owner, but for the life of me I can't find it in any of my old PMs or emails. Here is an old thread where I posted essentially the same thing: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=51&catid=35&threadid=24863

As for 2 copies being known, I'd put that number closer to 3-4. The art is the coolest part, haven't seen that before.

7. sporefrog08

ok,so I was misinformed.
    I thought,that you also have a Triumph eprom.

the german guy in your linked nintendoage thread,who claims to have a Triumph proto is the previous owner of my copy.he sold it to me last year so his copy is the one shown in my pictures.
    so the only other persons who seem to have a copy are your mysterious unknown friend and some other US guy in the same nintendoage thread who also says that he has one.
    3 total then but only 2 confirmed.
    would be cool to see any pics or information about the copy you dumped but especially about the 3rd one to confirm that it really exists...

I really hope that there is still at least one original Triumph NES US proto alive somewhere in the world.I mean the authentic eprom from Hudson with the original development cartridge.that would be awesome.I never saw one but I will keep hunting for it:)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. adler_0

adler_0 Active Member

Here i am :) I own the other. I actually didn't have Mark dump it for me, I dumped it myself but it was a bad dump so I sent him the rom to see if he could get it working. I ended up dumping it again and was successful and e-mailed him the rom. I'm also the other person in the NA thread. I talked to the guy in Germany about it and as far as I know there are only two copies.

9. sporefrog08

hi Adler,
    nice to have you here in this topic:)

do you also have the original hudson development cartridge or "just" the eprom with the source code?
    would be cool,if you could upload a pic here of your copy so we could have both existing copies shown in this thread.
    whats the (background)story of your copy,where does it come from?

and do you know anything about the us Triumph NES prototype or the japanese Castle Quest Famicom prototype?
    I never saw the US one but I think,the japanese one looks like a blank white cart without a sticker.

10. adler_0

adler_0 Active Member

Yes, I have the original hudson cart it came on. The background on it is that I bought it from a guy in California that picked it up at a yard sale. I don't know of any other copies of it other than yours/the one from germany. I also have never seen the nes version or any japanese versions. Pictures of it can be found on the third page of my gallery on nintendoage. Here is a link:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?St...rs.Photos&User=adler_0&Album_ID=Uncategorized

11. sporefrog08

I dont know what will happen with this forum after 30 days and maybe this topic will get lost forever so here is the first and probably also the last "bump".

the US NES prototype is still lost and no one have ever seen it.
    the japanese Famicom proto seems to be a white blank cartridge but same here: I cannot find any pics of it and nobody can confirm anything...

all I could find in the last couple of years was this (sealed) Hudson Soft Catalog from 1991, which shows several games including the unreleased US Gameboy version of Triumph.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my copy is still sealed but here are 2 pics of another one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more about Triumph/Castle Quest on NA:
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=178490

good and Arcadia like this.