Transforming an Xbox into a emulator machine

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Flaya, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

So... I figured, since I have 2 Xbox:es (1 softmod & 1 chipped), I'd make one of them into a retro emulator machine.

Wich one would be best suited for this?
    What pre-requisites would I need?
    What are the best or at least most compatible emus out there?
    I'm thinking about NES, SNES, N64, arcade, Sega to be specific.

Only actual Xbox game I play is Halo, since all others I have on PS2/PS3.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Kaeser

Kaeser Active Member

I've heard good things about Xbox as an emulation machine, but personally I'd lean more towards a Wii for 240p support. That said, I think both units would work fine - maybe use the softmodded one as it should be quicker to set up.

3. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

My pet project for the Xbox, next update will have a downloader section. ( App Store kind a think )

4. Elurin

Elurin Member

That looks really nice!!!

5. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

It's a nice concept. Read all the comments as I have issues with the keepsake files.

Tried booting into Xbmc-e and transfer the emulator folder, but it still won't let me transfer those files.

Solution?

Edit: had to add ".t" to all files, place them in the correct place and remove the ".t" again..

Now I face the issue of emustation not booting directly. Tried editing the boot paths, but no go...

Any advise?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

Managed to sort it out using X2 config tool and altering the boot paths on the fly. :)

Now I just need to start transferring my ROMs.

7. Rocky5

You need to remove the old emulator folder first after booting into XBMC-E, as UX creates damn folders of the keepsave files :/ instead of transferring the files.

Think I’m going to zip them up and extract them on the Xbox. Different FTP programs treat them differently and most use FileZilla or winspc.

Or just add an extension to them and remove it on the Xbox on first boot.

Edit: in v1.0 the xbe patcher will patch the filename of keepsave to save.sav I also prepatched and renamed all the keepsave files so there should be no more FTP issues with these damn files yah!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Flaya likes this.
  8. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

@Rocky5

I tried adding N64 to the emulator folder, but it throws me an error when scanning ROMs folder.

I also happen to have all x-tra sets, but the folder structure doesn't match emustation.

Please advise on how to properly add emus and the x-tra sets.

9. Rocky5

Watch the video? I show you how to add roms and images eg...
    As for N64 will look at your log, but it’s usually down to user error. Stuff not being placed in the correct location eg...

10. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

I watched the video several times.

My concern is that the x-tra sets contains a lot of folders and files such as VGMaps, synopsis etc...

The artwork I figured out. The synopsis.. is it needed, and where should it go, if so?

I use Custom path to ROMs and media.

11. Rocky5

Synopsis is included for most systems, so all you do is transfer roms and artwork I do the rest when you scan them in.

You will also be able to download artwork right from the downloader menu for resurrection xtras roms sets.
    ( so all you do is transfer the roms and download the artwork )

Flaya likes this.
  12. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I had someone softmod my Xbox years back, so that guy installed the emu's. However, while it runs terrific for mainstream systems like NES, Gameboy, 2600, SMS, Genesis, TG-16 (and CD), classic arcade (CoinOps)....others are not so good. Heck even PS1 runs pretty good. It's not the machine's fault, it's the emulators. The more obscure systems just didn't get enough development. 3do, Jaguar, N64, Virtua Boy, Saturn, technically could be run. The emu's were not fully developed and basically nothing has been worked on in years and years.

13. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

Speaking of Coinops..

Had a look at it a while back, but it seemed to closed and forced to be appealing.. :(

Don't know if it's supposed to be like it, bit the site I found (dedicated to only Coinops and stated to be the official one) charged for the emu... Not a big fan of that. I prefer open source and donate at will...

14. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

Currently in the process of extracting and pushing my emus+ROM sets to the Xbox.

Got some cherry picked to go first (all Sega, all Nintendo, PC engine, N64 and PS1 to name a few) as I have to get them from my old and slow nas200.

@Rocky5 , you mentioned v1.0... that's the current version? Read something about a planned update, so if it's that one, I'll hang on a bit longer. :)

15. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Mine had CoinOps 5 on it, and I downloaded 6 and put that on. I just like that it has the marques and artwork, etc for each game, very cool.

16. Rocky5

Yeah v1.0 is live and the downloader eg.. is all up and running.

17. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

N64 keeps throwing that error at me..

What files and folders should go inside the emulator folder? I put everything besides media and ROMs inside it.

Edit: seems that Media folder is mandatory to have in same partition as the emulator. At least for the N64. :(

At least it passed the auto scan for it now. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  18. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

Not sure what versions of the emulators are installed on your console.

Latest I've seen for the more obscure systems mentioned are:
    3do - 3DoX Version: A0.715
    Jaguar - Virtual JaguarX Version: 1.2.0 and included in the latest release of RetroArch 1.7.1 (25Feb2018)
    N64 - Surreal64CE Version: B6.0
    Virtua Boy ??? - VirtualboyX Version: v3b3
    Saturn - Yabause CE PUBLIC Version: A2.0

Madmab keeps working on his emulators and has released updated versions at emuxtras.net. On 5 March 2018, he released Vice64X Version 11.

19. Flaya

Flaya Active Member

@Rocky5, I just installed v1.0.. looks nice. :)

Tried the downloader and got myself outrunx, but how do I find it once installed, other than via the file browser? Is there a way to add it to the main menu?

20. Rocky5

You would add it to the hombrew folder ( you create ) on E, F or G. It will then Show in the ports menu.