Total arcade noob, thinking of getting an atomiswave. Is this how to set it up?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by dark, Oct 30, 2017.

1. dark

dark Intrepid Member

I love sega and snk games of the 90s and I like to collect sega console hardware (especially dreamcast). Since I own pretty much all the console hardware I want at this point, I'm now getting more and more interested in the atomiswave. A motherboard seems pretty affordable and compact, and it seems somewhat easy to hook up. The games are carts that can be easily swapped in and out, and the motherboard even has a vga out, so this sounds like one of the most approachable console-like arcade motherboards that could be run at home.

I've never messed with arcade hardware before, but after doing a slew of google searches, is this all I'd need to get going for a barebones useable setup?
    -Atomiswave motherboard + game
    -supergun
    -joystick compatible with the supergun
    -power source?

How do arcade power sources work? Does the power source plug into the atomiswave or to the supergun? Do they each need their own separate power? Is there anything else I'm missing to have a bare bones at-home atomiswave setup?

2. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

The Supergun plus the Atomiswave Motherboard with a Game Cart is all you need. The Supergun is what provides power to the game board generally. Unless you're getting beyond the JAMMA standard. But I think Atomiswave is JAMMA compatible. You might look into if it can output 31khz VGA. It should output 15khz RGB though if it supports standard JAMMA setups.

3. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

I don't personally have an Atomiswave, but one thing to keep in mind is that it uses 5 action buttons per player via the JAMMA harness. This is not a normal thing since many standard JAMMA games use just 3 buttons or less via the JAMMA harness. I'd wager that there is a good chance that your setup won't come with both button 4 and button 5 wired up (4 has a fair chance since single slot JAMMA MVS boards use 4 action buttons), so you might need to do that yourself.

4. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

Cool system, one of my favorite. You can also consider Naomi to play AW games, but it's more complicated and needs more space. AW is like an unborn console... just like DC it outputs 15 & 31khz, 480i/480p.
    Atx power supply is fine, you need to add a switch for turning power on/off.
    A supergun with 5 buttons support.
    Arcadeforge's MAK Strike, Smallcab Superguns can be used.
    A custom joystick with 5 buttons.
    If you can solder here is a nice design too...
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/Ig32tubt
    Here is how I use mine:
    https://flic.kr/p/nEuuJV
    https://flic.kr/p/nmdWV6

dark likes this.
  5. dark

dark Intrepid Member

Cool. Would it be possible to have a good experience with just 4 of the 5 butons? It'd be convenient and cheaper if I could just use a 4 button neogeo pad/stick, and many of the games I'm interested in such as the SNK games typically used 4 buttons in previous iterations of games in the series.

I'd heard about the atomiswave conversions for naomi, but I'm looking for a more compact setup than what I can do with a naomi and I have most of the naomi games I'd be interested in as DC ports. Are those chinese sites still selling atomiswave boots? Atomiswave stuff seems harder to find in 2017 than it was just a few years ago.

6. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

As far as I remember most games are 4 buttons like you said, but FOTNS is 5 buttons, I use the start button of the NG pad for that.
    They stopped producing those bootlegs, if you see a bootleg Dolphin Blue, don't buy it, because it hangs. SS6 also has a small glitch but not that important for most. However those games can be still found on the forums or Ebay, though the prices hiked. You can check Hklegend.com.hk for AW mainboard and games, they all sell original. And if you give my name (Yossi) as a reference, they can make a discount too.

7. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

Personally when it comes to an arcade system that can play many games I always recommend Naomi 2. It plays all Naomi original games, plus the Naomi 2 games. If you add the GD-Rom drive it can run even more games. Plus there are not too many games for Atomiswave with only a few of them being affordable unless you like cheap bootleg carts that often glitch.

Alternatively you can get a Net Dimm for your Naomi or Naomi 2 system and run games over the network or CF card if you don't care about owning original games and don't care about piracy.

As far as superguns go, I personally think they are overpriced junk as wiring up an arcade power supply to a Jamma harness is not too hard and doesn't cost too much (like $50 ish in parts vs $100-$600 for a Supergun). Plus if you can get away with the smaller screw type power supplies, wiring in a standard pc power cord is easy as all you have to do is crimp solderless connectors on the 3 wires, then screw them in.

I always recommend against an ATX power supply as they don't have an adjustable +5v line and their voltages can often be too much or too little for what you need. Like its not uncommon for the +12v to be around 11.6 or less. I have heard many people burn out or undervolt a board this way.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017