Torrent is here!

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by ASSEMbler, Nov 8, 2012.

1. elmagicochrisg

elmagicochrisg Rising Member

Maybe oil submersion. Now that would be awesome!...

2. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I play my build on a va1 system for hours trouble free.

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I don't know what you guys are doing but my Version 0 console has never had heat issues. Do your machines sit on carpets? Filled with dust? Under the TV in an enclosed area? Used in a warn room?

4. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Feel a bit warm beside the Va0, but its cold in my room and dint played the game full yet. it crash on me when i remove the mem card and reinsert it :p but if I remove and reinsert the vmu again it work again :D Silly me playing arround.

5. atreyu187

Nope you can see it in any if my youtube videos it is in a open space by itself and not on carpet for sure. I also put my machine through stress in other ways so I dont blame the game it just happened while playing it was all. I have dumped about twohundred disc with this system for TOSEC project rip prefetch data for AES4ALL and numerous other things that arent of the norm for most users of the system.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. Yakumo

Yep, dumping over 200 discs will sure have it's toal on that poor little Dreamcast :)

7. atreyu187

Well I have a new build ready thanks to BRaZe. Level 4 now has enemies and background elements. Will post after testing some more but it still doesnt fix the crash at the mid part of the level I am afraid but more to explore.

8. Yakumo

Great news. I've tried building my own image from what information BRaZe gave us but at the moment I'm stuck to only viewing areas in Mikes Room. Not much use unless you want to make a different CD for each stage.

9. atreyu187

I made a nice guiee on pastebins i will post for you as I have been making Dreamcast tutorials for thiee who want modern info on hafking cracking and slfbooting thier own games or TOSEF images

10. Yakumo

that would be most welcome.

11. chazumaru

chazumaru Member

Amazing to finally have some concrete media/feedback on that game. Thanks for your efforts and release.
    To be honest, I see why Sega did not believe in the game, even then.

12. omarmb

omarmb Newly Registered

thx, been lookin 4 this a while!

13. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

I think you should look for the "Resorted" version. It was dummied to get closer to 80min and files have been moved to reduce laser movement.

I think that the torrent in first post is the original release. It'll work but probably load slower and put more strain on your laser.

14. shifted

shifted Robust Member

So does the newer "resorted" version allow the game to be played? Is there much missing from the release that makes the game incomplete?

Is there a torrent link to the most current version?

Interesting though, looks like a gem! Congrats to the people here on bringing it out to the open. :)

15. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

I believe the "resorted" version cuts down on crashes that occurred randomly on level 1, which is available in its entirety. Level 2 will crash around 1/4 of the way through the level and levels 4, 5 and 6 (there is no level 3) are rather empty maps until you eventually hit an invisible wall. That said, it is definitely worth giving it a try.

At some point in the future atreyu187 will be releasing another version which will (at the very least) add a bit of gameplay to level 4.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. shifted

shifted Robust Member

Ah I see, apologies for what may seem like silly questions, I've only recently looked into this stuff... so this game was a dumped prototype, it is released, and from there people are able to modify it to make it a more complete/playable game?

That's genuinely amazing (to me anyway) - I wouldn't have a clue how to do something like this, and to see it happening is great. :)

17. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Well the source code isn't available so there isn't much "easy" work you can do to improve.

Basically, to alter the game at it's core level you need to look directly at the machine code and edit CPU instructions, register values or raw data to be loaded into memory. Not an easy task and it really takes a long time. You can also decompile the binaries but it's also a tedious road and won't necessarily make it easier than the first solution.

The best bet is to hope that the dev made it possible to modify the gameplay through human-readable config files that gets parsed by the program. I think that this is the most intelligent way to debug and test when you are developing a game(not the most performance friendly however). I never looked at the file structure of Geist Force so I don't know if it's the case here.

All I can say is that there has been a lot of people doing an amazing job the past year (or more?).

18. solbad03

solbad03 Newly Registered

Thanks for sharing :)

19. MrAlextov

MrAlextov <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Sorry for asking weird question. Since I owning only an PAL RF Adapter the game will work on my Dreamcast?

20. MrAlextov

MrAlextov <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>