Toejam & Earl 3 - Dreamcast Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ZakhooiTM, Sep 20, 2013.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Whatever the truth is, in the end, it is really up to the owner to do what he wants with it. It is his basic right.
    Just like imho I have the right to hack, mod and play backups on a ps3 that I've payed good money for. No matter what some text on a piece of paper says. OK bad analogy but you know what I mean. (EDIT: Oh, wait this is actually a perfect analogy lol)

But of course I'm personally disappointed since I'm a pretty hardcore dreamcast fan. Oh well, easy come easy go, huh?

Oh, think I found it. It was just the beta burned to empty GD-Rs? Nothing fancy like coverart, printed GD-Rs etc?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yeah, the guy was selling copies made on standard GD-R using a gd-x. The data was from a real beta. One buyer of the "counterfeit" betas realized he got scammed and decided to released the GDI/CDI on the net so it has no real value anymore to the scammer. The "seller" was active on this board, and allegedly didn't understand what he was doing was not ok, he got banned since.

3. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

Guys, was being this rude to him really necessary?

Sure, contacting Sega was a tad silly, but he did it out of a place of fear.

Frankly, with how hostile people have been to him since he acted out of that fear, I certainly can't blame him for not only vanishing but also not going forward with the release.

I want it just as bad as anyone, but the response by the community has been shameful and doesn't represent us well.

I hope that people summon the courage to apologize to him for what was nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to being scared of a threat he received.

We should rally support around him to get this released, not alienate him like spoiled children.

While I'm sure I'll receive my own plethora of hate for this, I want to extend a public apology on behalf of the community to you ZakhooiTM.

4. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

What are you talking about? There's been little rudeness OR hostility on this thread towards Zakhooi. Maybe one person was slightly out of line. Most of the comments have been simply critical of his choice because we have experienced this situation before. A company like SEGA either will never respond to him, or will respond negatively. The fact that the OP is in the Netherlands makes it even less likely SEGA's lawyers would ever have gone after him. Most of the response has simply been one of incredulity and surprise, not rudeness. Plus he went from "I will 100% release this to the public" to "I will ask SEGA" to nothing almost overnight, with little explanation. People have said he got spooked, but honestly how can we know that if he doesn't respond?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

I do agree would be nice if he responded. But I base what I said on both posts on this forum, as well as the Dreamcast-Talk forum. A lot of use of terms like "stupid" and "idiot" have come up.

6. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

He'll probably say something sooner or later. Either way, I feel like it's a safe bet somewhere within a few years or sooner this will pop up again, if it doesn't get any immediate release. For now I think it's probably backed up and safe in the hands of more than just the OP, so there's no immediate worry of it being lost forever here.

And with how fast time goes as I get older, I'm patient enough :p

7. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

He's free to take his time, and that's Dreamcast-Talk's problem if they allow that talk. People get insane when it comes to prototypes, to the point where it often makes little sense to announce you have one! I think it's the "teasing" that they can't handle, when it doesn't get released. If it were me, and I spent all that time getting it to run on a DC, I would have released it. SEGA would never have known or cared.

OT: Adam I've long been a fan of your You Tube channel, always informative stuff.

8. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

I agree with that.

Actually I released something a while back, no fuss no muss.

Thanks for watching by the way.

9. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

It'll get released :) I've got a good feeling that something is happening behind the scenes.

10. americandad

Are you talking about my speculation? I just thought it would be nice to put it out there so people would stop riding his balls and/or fearmongering. "oh that wasn't smart to ask sega but I can understand why he did it with all the possible consequences blablabla. I'd also be afraid in ur place, I understand you I know where you're coming from I want to cook your dinner and wash your socks (I'll clean you good for a prototype) *slurp* *swallows* [the soup x just made ofc]"

This stuff always happens when something is about to leak on the internets and I always get annoyed by it. It's cool and nice to show your appreciation but there's a certain word for it when you overdo it and start showing more appreciation than you feel.

But yeah, I have a big mouth and do often come off as an asshole despite the best intentions. No offence intended. Unless it's intended and then it's intended to offend. But not this time, this time I'm just being real.

11. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

If this ever does creep out of the shadows, I would have no problem helping out monetarily. The build looked rather solid and more than enjoyable. I think the problem is that every online video game resource thought they were splitting the atom by disseminating information on something that hadn't even come to fruition yet. Instead of thinking of the greater good of the gaming community, they wanted to broadcast their name behind information somebody else retrieved. Rather sad.

12. ZakhooiTM

ZakhooiTM <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Hi guys,

Well for those who wonder :

1. No, I'm not dead
    2. I've not disappeared completely nor I've forgotten the community, I just was very busy and didn't have any news.
    3. I've not sold my devkit, Its not for sale either (it's going to my grave infact, far later in my life)
    4. We are working on it, things are moving slowly.
    5. Stupid?, Idiot?, thanks for the compliment!
    6. Just wait, It's been 10+ years before I found it, so whats an other few weeks? please be patient.
    6.1 Speculation doesn't really solve or answer anything, when I got answer, you will be almost the first to know.

Thanks to those who are supporting me!

-ZakhooiTM

13. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

Welcome back, I had every faith you'd be back as did the majority of the forum :)

14. americandad

Good to know you're alive! btw I see what you did there ^^.

As I've said before the main point of the speculation was to end ongoing and prevent future occurences of brown nosing. "Oh maybe there's no point in me sucking up to this guy. Maybe it's not getting leaked anyway"
    But of course it's also entertaining.

Good luck! I hope we get to see a community release someday.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

C'mon don't be all pharaonic over this! You could give it to someone who would use it once you die... Like... I don't know... maybe... me! If I'm still kicking at that time!

16. ZakhooiTM

ZakhooiTM <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Well, I've not said which devkit goes with me in my grave, the already dead one or the one that works :p That's something that can be speculated about

17. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Appreciate the update, hope you resolve everything soon.

18. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

Not trying to pry at you here, but didn't you already mention that you had a working CDI made? If that's the case, then what are the extra "few weeks" for? I just don't understand your methods here. If you're still waiting on a reply from Sega, then you're wasting your time.

But whatever the situation might be, thanks for everything you've shown us so far, and thanks for stopping by and updating everyone.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  19. -=FamilyGuy=-

Damn you man! You know how to build up suspense!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  20. RenaKunai

RenaKunai Newly Registered

What is it? Pardon my possible idiocy. EDIT: TmV2ZXJtaW5kIEkgZmlndXJlZCBpdCBvdXQgTE9M

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013