Toejam & Earl 3 - Dreamcast Beta

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ZakhooiTM, Sep 20, 2013.

1. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Guys, it's all good - what happens, happens.

(although, on a lighter note, you two would make very good politicians ;) )

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Ouch! You say it's all good, then give me the worst insult ever! (*kidding*)

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Arguably some of the worst people to have ever lived were politicians. Wasn't like WWI and WWII were fought by kids on a playground over a ball.

4. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

bye bye to that dreamcast game.

5. dyer60

dyer60 Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015,2016

Lets hope not!!!!

Fingers crossed this works out I was looking forward to playing this on the original hardware.

6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Good Lord Almighty, why is this guy asking SEGA for permission? If you're going to release it for free than just DO IT! Like others, I would be completely shocked if SEGA allows it. Had he just done it, they would never have known OR cared. Once the game is on the internet, it's there for good. They could ask to take it down, but it's the Internet, it's not going away.

I suppose since Zakhooi spoke to Greg Johnson, it was probably his idea to get SEGA's permission. But Mr. Johnson hasn't exactly had the best relationship with SEGA lately per TJ&E. They wouldn't pay to include them in their All-Stars series, nor release the game to Wii (for free).

7. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I wonder which magic he pulled to get the contact of Greg Johnson :D

It would be out of this world to get to interview the guy.

8. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

No magic required, all you need to do is go to the official TJ&E website and use the contact info there. I've even spoken with Greg a couple times in the past. He's very nice and seems to generally respond to all emails he gets through that site.

9. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Wow! Thanks dude :))

If I lived in the US as you do I would already got my TaE copies signed hahahah

10. runkthepunk

runkthepunk <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Propeller Arena
    Geist Force
    Half-Life
    Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas
    Hellgate
    PBA Pro Bowling

and probably more that I have forgotten. All DC games released in various playable states that have not caused Sega to destroy a lone individual. I hope the OP can somehow manage to get the game out there but I understand if he decides against. As mentioned trying to go 'by the book' on this sort of thing just seems to end up in political/legal/bureaucrat quagmires and business people always play it safe so just say no.

I will mention now though that I have been wanting a DC devkit for a long time (should have bought Legits a while back) but now have some cash so if he wants to sell the devkit complete with all contents to recoup the purchase price I would be interested. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

Yeah, isn't that the best way? If he can't do it sell the Dev kit to somebody or swap for one that's blank or something along those lines?

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

There was also the debacle involving Shenmue beta GD-R reproductions sold as originals that didn't bother SEGA either. If anything they should've shit several pallets worth of bricks over that one.

IIRC one set was even sold on eBay.

13. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Oh that's awesome, do you have any pictures / links?

Ontopic:
    Keep in mind that I'm only specualting.
    1 The official story is true and it's now up to SEGA.
    2 Right off the bat I thought it was super weird for assembler to ignore OP when you think of the topic, which is why this site exists: for this kind of obscure stuff. Yes he's very busy, but still.
    So:
    A) assembler didn't ignore OP and might in fact have had negotiations with him about buying the devkit, or acting as a seller for op for a fee. But it was taking time so op wasn't loosing any time and posted it here too see what reactions/offers it would bring.
    B)assembler indeed ignored the op, but was closely watching the developments and took action (for personal gain, legal security reasons etc).
    3 Assembler ignored OP and OP made this thread for the purpose of looking at his options and to gain publicity (getting more and better offers in pm)
    4 Som silly bugger pm'd OP with a bluff about legal consequences and scared the crap out of him.
    A)For the reason of keeping this unleaked to preserve the value of circulating copies (among hardcore collectors).
    B) One account scared OP and another account pm'd him with a lucrative offer. Done deal.

14. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Nope but it shouldn't be hard for you to find it.

15. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

It's worth noting that despite how it might sound, this Shenmue "beta" really was in beta stages i.e just an earlier version of the English localization. Had debug functions of some sort IIRC, but it wasn't an earlier version of the game with differences that matter far as I remember.

Just so anyone that is only just learning of this doesn't start getting excited =p

16. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Exactly right, all of these were released without SEGA knowledge, and they didn't care. However, the folks who put them out didn't seek SEGA out either. As I said, I'm Mr. Johnson wanted SEGA's permission because he's still in the industry, and wants to do it by the book. However, Zakhooi is not and does not need SEGA's permission. The only ancient IP's people have run afoul over occur when the project gets so much publicity that major rightsholders like Nintendo feel they have to get involved. This Toe Jam & Earl could easily have seen a physical game run, and SEGA would never have lifted a finger.

17. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

AmericanDad, you're very creative... but it's option #1. As for ASSEMbler ignoring Zakhooi pms, I suggest you try to get in touch with him yourself. The guy is really busy and probably got over 100 non-read pms at any time...

BTW Greg2600, you wrote "As I said, I'm Mr. Johnson" which I think is funny!

18. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

ASSEMbler is actually ill at the moment. He's had the flu for a few weeks.

19. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

It is a shame this is dead in the water and I'm not sure I'd have been spooked myself (ignore legal letters day in, day out, no action taken in what, at least 5 years now? lol) but yeah the first time it happens it does ruffle your feathers a little bit so I can't blame him. Asking for permission is a little bit daft though, especially as if they shaft him for TJ&E3 they may ask for his Katana too :(

Two little bits of advice for you though ZakhooiTM

a) Don't apologise
    b) Don't explain

All the best!

20. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

They will not ask for his Katana as i emailed sega years ago about software for one but they said we don't support this no longer.