Timing for the torrent

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by sof, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Everyone thinks they're entitled to everything they want. If the owner of something doesn't want it made public then that's the way it is. Tough shit, basically. Move on with life. By the way, LeGIt, You have some very good points. The only difference between the original GDrom and the pressed disc is the 1stread.bin, right? In that case the pressed CD is fine for making a GDI.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I've no idea how, the anonymous russian did it and I have no idea what he did to it.

3. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Edit - Not worth my time frankly.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Well in this case we are all the 'owner' of the disc because of the fundraiser of course, so it's not that strange for donators to speak out their wishes. For archival purposes a GDI is the most ideal, also because one can compare the untouched data to the hacked data to work out the differences. That being said (as also stated by you & Legit) in this case it's not needed per se to get a vanilla GDI, because with the previously released unhacked files and the data from the pressed CD (and future .torrent) it's perfectly possible to create a .GDI with untouched data.

5. kiff

kiff <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

How can you possibly say that when the FACT is that this SOMETHING was intended to be MADE PUBLIC via a fundraiser?

No matter how minimal the differences may be the fact is that people are asking for it to be released and there appears to be no logical reason NOT to release it...

Also, when you say the word 'owner', who technically owns it?

6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I'd release it AFTER the working copies have spread enough. That way we get both archival purposes and less chance of confusion.

7. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

There is no track 01 on the CDI (in the same form) so no abstract, bibliograph or copyright text files or warning.da (which are copied and pasted from the SDK anyway)

There is no track 02 on the CDI (in the same form) so no warning.da (which is copied and pasted from the SDK anyway)

Track 03 (the actual game data) is 1:1 but for the modified 1ST_READ.BIN so it will boot (the original can be copied and pasted anyway)

It used a modified IP.BIN so it will boot (the original can be copied and pasted anyway)

If one copied and pasted the original files back into the .GDI, The only thing that will change for testing/experimentation is the time/date stamp of the track file which is arbitrary anyway.

People need to recognise that the project needs to be simple for it to reach the widest possible audience with the least amount of hassle.

Uploading two versions inconveniences the site.

Maintaining two versions inconveniences the host.

Downloading two versions inconveniences the end user.

Choosing between two versions confuses people.

A GDI dump would work on emulators only unless you extract the files and/or make a CDI anyway.

The CDI works fine on emulators, it works fine on a retail Dreamcast and if you copy and paste the files onto a Katana GD-M and make a project it works fine there too.

For archiving purposes a GDI is obviously the best way for purists, but it is the least useable way. The GDI crowd can have it if they do a little extra leg work and they should be more than capable of doing said legwork.

The people with pressed discs can recreate the GDI for testing purposes if they wanted to. Heck once the CDI is released so can the freeloaders too.

The people with the GDI who want to use it on another platform which the CDI covers may lack the ability to do so.

The CDI does not reduce the quality in any shape or form. There was no downsampling or tampering of the game files or structure (other than the aforementioned) whatsoever.

Most people just want to get on with playing the game, the CDI covers all of the bases.

Also, the people making the most noise for a GDI had the least involvement. (This is not directed at donors/contributors/site supporters)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

In that case i will not be adding mine since it will be an inconvenience and LeGiT seems to think anyone can rebuild it so why waste me time if it isnt wanted. He can make one with a custom sort if one is made as he is the self proclaimed DC cracking king. If you still want to use my seedbox Assembler to get this to the public shoot me a pm but im done with this thread as i still havent gotten a reply back about replacing my damaged disc with disc rot.

9. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Reread.

"The people with the GDI who want to use it on another platform which the CDI covers may lack the ability to do so."

No one is disputing the fact that there may be room for improvement and an improved sort.txt could help a little.

An improved sort.txt could have easily been done 18 months ago and even applied to the pressed disc, but thats not how we roll.

The goal is to strike a balance between maintaining the integrity of the data with as little tampering as possible whilst still allowing the files to reach the widest possible audience. Once people have the files they can do whatever the hell they want with it for their own personal use!

That said changing or arranging the sort.txt is the easiest thing to do and even then, there are different schools of thought as to what constitutes the "best" way to sort files.

If you found a way for a noticeable improvement, then great!

If it is for your own personal amusement and it makes you happy then it isnt a complete waste of time, is it?

And where was said self proclamation? It doesn't exist because it wasn't said nor would it be true. Sure I cracked things with just hexidecimal code, a pen, paper and trial and error but it is a time consuming process and doesn't work for everything. I just spot patterns now and again but with the right tools and knowledge plenty of other people can do more in less time.

FG also had VNC access. We left little notes for each other with regards to what we did and didnt do. If there was a pressing need to do so, he could have easily made an improved sort.txt too.

Again, it doesn't take a genius or special tools to work out you go for bootbin, common and then miscellaneous files in that order nor does it take a genius to open notepad, look at the files, put a number next to them then click save and repack. Geist Force even makes it easy for people as it even tells them which are the common and miscellaneous files. I wonder what is in the AVI, MIFF or SOUND folders? Hmm...

1ST_READ.BIN is #1 that is indisputable.

Many of the files are in .MIFF format so MIFFVIEWER.MINI should be right up there without much of a challenge too.

The game even labels the MIFF folders as FONT, GENERAL, PLAYER, Stage 0-6, TITLE and and WEAPON.

Many of the files in the FONT, GENERAL, PLAYER and WEAPON folders along the ARMCOM.DRV amongst a few others from SOUND are obviously common files used across all levels which should warrant a high priority too.

The levels themselves will sit somewhere in the middle and the AVI files (as it is PDS stuff I think, except for the intro video) constitute padding so they naturally should go at the back just before 0.0. Or at least I think the others are padding I never saw a way to boot them in the game. Then again that was 18 months ago and I was using a laggy VNC connection to a remote host which limited productivity too and to be blunt I have lost all interest in checking since.

21830645.jpg

I wouldn't worry about his belated response. He gets a lot of messages and gets incredibly busy which can take him a while to respond at the best of times. Oh and a seedbox is naturally appreciated, thanks.

I think it is good to see people are still excited to play the game but I have only booted my pressed disc once since I got it as I have become completely dispassionate after the whole affair. It dragged on much longer than anyone had ever anticipated which in part is making it somewhat difficult to enjoy or appreciate the game which probably ended up as Rez anyway...

The end user only had to wait for a result. They may have gotten impatient, but it pales in comparison to the trials and tribulations we've had to deal with to bring it to them.

People are right to challenge decisions with legitimate concerns, but it certainly doesn't help that people are finding problems that don't exist, making mountains out of molehills, going around in circles endlessly or the fact the people with the least invovlement (eg non donors/contributors/site supporters) or understanding are making the biggest noise either. It is stressful to say the least and it really does sap the will to give the game the proper playthrough it deserves or to even take any interest in it at all any more.

This is the kind of bullshit why I never bothered to dump and share Actua Soccer 4, Flintstones Viva! Rock Vegas, GP500, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Propellor Arena, Test Drive Cycles, Warhead for the Sega Dreamcast and others when I owned them and it is the kind of bullshit that may possibly prevent future releases by other people too. When I community dumped Deuce I tried to be honest, open and fair from the start, but I already had the disc and working data in my possession long before I announced a release, so I had time to plan what I was doing and able to be present said plan in a clear manner. The process was smooth with no frills and no complaints.

This whole project has been a clusterfuck from start to finish, but that's because most of the big decisions were done on impulse after the first disc went sour, I lost a buttload of money and a second disc magically appeared so it was better to jump at the opportunity than have the community possibly miss out forever.

IMO it would have been much better if there was no pressed disc, no convulution with the site fundraiser, no cracking whatsoever and only the GDI was released so people could do whatever the fuck they want with it, but donors/contributors/site fundraisers voted for the extra stuff which took extra time plus there was a number of challenges to overcome such as the disc went to pressing not once but several times before we could even get a copy and there really isn't much that can be done about that.

The project hasn't started well and it may not end well either, but on the bright side most donors/contributors/site fundraisers will be happy and to be blunt that is what matters most. They can also be made happier at a later date too.

Once again, a CDI release offers no disadvantage to the majority of end users. It merely provides a small inconvenience to the minority in the GDI crowd who will have to do a little bit of extra work if they want it, which they should be more than capable of doing for themselves.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  10. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

considering atreyu is a mod over on Underground Gamer aka a giant piracy torrent site, I would'nt get too worried bout him trying to ruffle feathers

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I am going to go ahead with posting tomorrow.

12. yuckymucky

yuckymucky Spirited Member

Pretty certain mine was lost in the mail so it will be awesome to finally play it!

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

If it weren't for bootleggers the BBC wouldn't be able to have compiled formerly "lost" live Beatles performances. Not justifying piracy across the board but U-G actually has some morals and rules and not just TPB with a video game theme.

14. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Well said.

15. atreyu187

Wtf does that mean coming from the guy that posted Pier Solar? Anyhow there are ways to get a lot more out of this game by re-linking some files. The game calls on some files that arent in that folder but are in another. If we re-linked those files we could unlock all of what BraZe did without the need for keyboard and mouse because it causes a crash when the files arent there. Just add those shared files in each folder and re-link and it will solve a lot of problems. Once my findings are done my build will cone out after i have perfected it on my own after Assembler does his release.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

That's good information, ateryu. I take it you are using the modded NULLDC to find out what files are missing? I'm looking forward to your findings. I've done a little file swapping just as BraZe did which is cool but a bit of a pain having to build a new image for each new stage.

17. atreyu187

Trying to figure it out right now. Best i can think is someone tried hardlinking in windows and it doesnt work. You must be on OSX or Linux for the hardlinks to stay. Im sure it was done to preserve roon but was done wrong is the only thing i can think of. That or the -duplicate command in mkisofs.

18. kalash49

kalash49 Newly Registered

Please, can anyone say is there any progres with torrent edition GF?

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Indeed. Not that it matters all that much to me since I already have the game, but I do want to see this released to the public. Certainly it's been long enough by now, hasn't it?

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The original game was reading data in forced mode1 format, this is not a problem for gd-roms, as they're written in mode1. Yet cd-rs are written in mode2, so the hacker patched it to force reading in mode2. Retail games uses libraries that take care of the reading mode automatically, but maybe geist was so early thast the libraries weren't developped yet.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012