Timing for the torrent

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by sof, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I'd prefer to kick it out as-is as a tweaked release might be great but I would like to have the vanilla version as well for people to tweak themselves.

2. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Exactly. Once you change everything around it is no longer the same beta as intended (though V3TB etc sorted by alphabet WTF)

Filesorting is so easy to do anyone can do it themselves though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Take the time with the torrent, for those who donated and put effort into this should have it first for a while really. I couldn't afford a pressed copy, but I can surely wait and not be greedy :p

I just hope everyone who has received the disc, is to not upload it else-where... it's a lot of disrespect to our community.

4. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

You know, I like to get my version of the Disk, and meanwell release it? DOnt care, just hope mine arives and all the AG donaters enjoy it. Also if your donation is in the form of posting a message that you like it :D

5. ASSEMbler

I think what I will do is a combo two iso torrent.

I'd like to set up an ftp for atreyu187, and then compress and include it in the torrent.

The torrent is only 350mb right now, so 700mb torrent is small anyways.

Atreyu187 can you pm me ?

6. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I already PM'd you and i have a seedbox for you as well to host the files. Now that being said this game can't just be rebuilt the normal way as it will not boot. One must do some swapping of header data from the vanilla release to make their own custom build. But I sent a PM stating I have a seedbox with 100mbps line unlimited BW that can host this for you.

@FreddyMills releasing the GDI would be pointless as one would need to hack the files, this is what took the 18 months to release. The guy that managed to do this was the same guy who cracked the Bleem disc and made a near perfect PSO build to remove the NPC errors that would stop the game in it's tracks. Not even Family Guy nor LeGiT could crack the GDI so it would be pointless to release.

Have you tried repacking it with a new sort? It isn't easy and not like a normal rip by any means. Everyone I have seen try this has failed miserably except for a very seasoned old school ripper from back in the day was able to make it selfboot. Everyone in ReviveDC and the Dreamcast Clean Merge Project failed selfbooting this at 45000 & 11702 LBA's.

EDIT

Seems the rar got CRC errors packing and will need to repack the files from scratch. I will post back once completed.

7. ASSEMbler

atreyu can you send me ftp of your disc, I will combine them with credit and then we can see it together.

No, as it's 100% unusable

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Unusable doesnt equal pointless though. From a preservation standpoint, having the original out there, untouched, is just as good.

9. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Borman is right, maybe for limited time some can has the GDI and are free to distribute it on theyre own ?
    Im not into Dream-cast yet as Like I do my things with XBox, but "preservation standpoint" is valid here.

(Hope I get my disk :D )

10. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

No we didn't… mine just got fucked the first time because I screwed the IP.BIN. You really don't need to do anything else.

11702 wasn't working yeah, but 45000 was fine.

Besides that… if anyone should be releasing this or cooperating with assembler on this it should be DCCM since he sat there and did the sort.

It doesn't work in emulators? Or do you just mean it's unusable as far as being something that people would want to rip from GDI on their own? If it works in emulators then it's very valuable for getting the game sorted properly and trying to get better performance since the modified nullDC that outputs files accessed only works with GDIs.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  11. LeGIt

Yes.

It is easy enough for even my mother to edit the obvious things manually using notepad or board members can cheat, use a Katana and load the project on the GD-M and have a play with it. Granted not everyonbe has or has had a Katana, but you have to remember this is ASSEMbler... more Katanas here than your average site ;)

Or use the nullDC if you know how (which I hold my hands up Idon't, but I never had the need with other options)

Also, winrar 10% recovery volume FTW

Jesus... what is it with the storm in a teacup drama folk these days.

What difference will it make?

The file sort order on the pressed copy is the same as on the GD-R.

Changing 1st_read.bin to the unhacked version wouldn't/shouldn't change the file sort order for better performance.

The original 1st_read.bin & IP.BIN were posted long ago. If you really had to enagage in a pointless exercise, do the patently obvious thing and copy and paste them into a rip of the pressed CD .GDI dump / torrent release, job done?

-_-

12. ASSEMbler

People forget it took almost a year to get to the condition it is in now.

13. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  14. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

Sorry to go off-topic, but on the topic of everything from the GD-R being on the pressed disc - could someone tell me how to find the Panzer Dragoon files on my CD? I haven't looked that hard, but I can't find any references by scanning the file names. Was this a mistake? I always (well, for a year) wondered what they were.

Edit: Cheers LeGit. Time to find myself a codec.

15. Borman

Im just saying, if we want to say that we are archivists and doing work that goes beyond "I want to play!", releasing the GDI would go a long way in the justification of that point. There is no such thing as "good enough" when it comes to this.

16. LeGIt

More useful in what way? Do tell.

They never went anywhere.

SELFBOOT> AVI > AZEL640WDK4.AVI

Azel = Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG aka Panzer Dragoon Saga

You will probably need a codec pack to view the files in the folder.

ASSEMbler archives everything on his epic RAID, he just doesn't know what he names the files or where exaxtly he leaves them haha. He still can't find the prerelease BIOS even with the prerelease Dreamcast sat next to him to redump it, but he can't redump it either as he has no BBA. It is all safely backed up somewhere, sometimes not knowing exactly where is the safest place for it ;)

Again, it can be accurately recreated elsewhere too.

The original 1st_read.bin & IP.BIN were posted long ago. If people really had to enagage in a pointless exercise, do the patently obvious thing and copy and paste them into a rip of the pressed CD .GDI dump / torrent release, job done?

The effect will be similar if not the same. The only thing that will change is the .GDI timestamp.

17. Borman

There is no reason for it to not be out there though. The original should always be there if at all possible, especially when there is no reason NOT to. RAID setups aren't infallible in themselves, and with Assembler's luck, having it inaccessible at a time when he is ill or losing it after an electric storm could be a problem.

18. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Releasing the gdi or not, I'd love to find out how it was cracked...

19. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

Want to try to miss my point a little harder?

We have a modified nullDC. It outputs file data as it is accessed. This has NOTHING TO DO with the sort order. It shows how the files are actually accessed. It needs a GDI to work.

Using that modified nullDC shows how files are actually accessed during the game. Then you can use that data to make a better sort that more accurately reflects how the data is accessed.

20. LeGIt

I understand all of the above.

Want to try miss the point a little harder?

You're ignoring the fact ASSEMbler probably couldn't find the original GDI any time soon if he wanted to.

You're ignoring the fact ASSEMbler doesn't want to look.

You're ignoring the fact 99.9% of people have no use for a GDI dump when the CDI will work in nullDC or burn to CD-R for retail DC and the 0.1% who care for it have the means to make their own.

If you do have a pressed disc you can .GDI dump it yourself.

If you don't have a pressed disc you won't be getting a .GDI dump from here any time soon.

You're ignoring the fact a GDI dump can be made from the pressed disc that should work with the modified nullDC. Around 170 or so discs are out there for people to do so if they wished and there are a few others remaining for a good home.

You're ignoring the fact a GDI dump of the pressed disc is suitable enough to meet your needs.

You're ignoring the fact a GDI dump made from the pressed disc can be messed up all over again using the original unhacked IP.BIN & 1st_Read.Bin if you so desired

You're ignoring the fact a sorttxt can be done with eyes, a brain, a keyboard and no fancy tools other than notepad.

1st_Read.bin should be at number 1 - no shit! Other commonly used things go up higher too... such as the data files for the levels which are actually playabale... no shit! Yeah it is a lot of manual work, but so what? It is fun!

It doesn't take a genius or a hacked nullDC to realise you got for bootbin, common files , then miscellaneous in that order for an effective sort.

It doesn't take a genius or any tools to work out which is the bootbin, common or miscellaneous files either.

The best sorttxt in the world won't make much difference with a nice big padding file up its ass (though obviously every little helps)

You're ignoring the fact it can all be done without nullDC or a GDI dump just by copying and pasting it onto a Katana and playing via GD-M.

You're ignoring the fact no two sorttxt's will ever be the same as they will be arranged by the individual player's habbits. The more they do one thing the more it gets accessed and the higher up it goes. Lets say someone loads level 2 100x more than level 1 for example.

Lastly, you are ignoring the fact that people are stupid. Oh why won't my GDI fit on a CD, I burned it to DVD instead and it wont work in my retail Dreamcast? lol

Keeping it simple keeps most people happy. The unhappy people can work around it.

Seriously... WTF is up with people wanting to go on and on in endless circles lately.

The torrent will appear when it appears. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012