Timing for the torrent

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by sof, Aug 13, 2012.

1. discworld

discworld Blue Brother

same opinion here. :)

2. elmagicochrisg

elmagicochrisg Rising Member

I don't care if or when they release the torrent. I've got my pressed copy, and an extra one for a friend, so I'm happy...

Wish I had bought a few extra copies as an investment though. Make some extra money to invest in my own collection. But I'm already grateful I got the chance to buy one so late in the process. It wasn't until it was too late that I realized:"'Fuck me, why didn't I donate for this!?"... lol

Thanks again for showing me the link to the reserve list DCUltra... ^^

3. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

I think some one is going to be offended/annoyed/buthurt no matter when the torrent comes out. I doubt there will be a consensus. I just hope it doesn't happen until he international crowd gets a chance.

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I'd agree with that. At least give it a month.

5. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

Having a cdr copy is not a bad idea to preserve the pressed disc and do any testing with it. But I can wait patiently for the torrent with no problem. But it should be hold back a little until everyone gets their copies. Right Yak.

6. Yakumo

Yes. I think with the way the International mail is going, many people outside of the states may not even get their game before the torrent release if it goes ahead in two weeks. That's just not right. People like LeGIt who paid an awful lot to get this game out there and others who donated big bucks. Even myself who did all the art work for the release don't have a copy yet.

It's not about greed or exclusive first play but about a reward or thank you to those who made this release happen. To those who gave money NOT to buy a copy but to get the game released. These people deserve a little bit of courtesy time with the release before it becomes wide spread to those who just say give me, give me, give me and never offer to help.

I have no issue with a torrent, I'm just saying it shouldn't be so soon.

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I sent them all expensive shipping, it won't take so long.

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'm somewhat surprised it hasn't been ripped and shoved onto a tracker yet.

Sometimes being wrong ain't so bad.

9. sof

sof <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

i was thinking the same^^

10. Yakumo

I'm not doubing you at all but I have a feeling they may be stuck somewhere. I've had two parcels arrive from Amzon US now that were sent out the same time as Geist.

11. BrAzE

BrAzE Active Member

Since the original plan was for those who donated to buy the GD-R itself to enjoy the game first, and now you have people with 2 posts stating "i'd like to reserve" and "I got my disc", I'd say the least the people who donated back in 2011 'deserve' is to receive their discs before the torrent is out. Although I do look forward to the torrent because it means anything that can be fixed, will be fixed.

12. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

I'm $700+ down on the lemon and have zer0 discs from the pressing... but thats partly because I passed on the 6 copies I was eligible for after donating $300 to the site fund for the vBulletin 4.x licence.

I think the people who wanted pressed discs should have the chance to play it first, that is for sure. But they can probably all ship long before the end of the month let alone Christmas.

The torrent release is the only way I'd get to play it and TBH I'm fine with that, in fact I prefer it... but I'd also prefer to have a shot playing Geist Force this side of 2013 :p

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  13. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

USPS Y U SO SLOW ? =P i am waiting for a few things from USA including Geist Force but the only thing that has arrived is Robopon GBC

14. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

USPS Priority Mail International is I believe 7 - 10 days, it's usually more like 14 days.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

awesome should be here as early as tomorrow

16. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

[TABLE]
    [TR="class: shaded"]
    [TD="class: service"][/TD]
    [TD="class: status"]Processed through USPS Sort Facility

[/TD]
    [TD="class: date-time"] September 11, 2012, 9:42 pm

[/TD]
    [TD="class: location"] KEARNY, NJ 07032

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

So tomorrow or monday

17. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

Mine should arrive by the end of october LOL!

But I don't mind the torrent gets released before I receive mine. I do this all the time:

Buy the product, it's in the mail, download some warez copy of the internet, when it arrives I keep playing the pirate copy to protect my game xD
    The same goes with music. All my vinyls and CDs are stored in a safe place and I keep using FLAC.

18. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

Hopefully Monday to Friday :lol i am busy on Monday so i will need someone else at home to get my parcel or parcels =)

19. Energy

Energy Spirited Member

I've wanted to play this game since I was a kid and the early promo shots were shown in the sega magazines. I was severly disappointed when it was canned. I wanted to donate, but money was short and tbh it was such a mess over who would get a disc and how much had to be donated I gave up (being generally an outsider on this forum, sometimes the dramas really let you guys down, but then again what online community doesn't have their dramas?).

That said though, as much as I want to say 'give me the torrent now!', I feel it's only fair that it's held back a little. I like the idea of a Christmas release. It seems unfair that the people who have made the release possible don't get their copy before the torrent is out. I know if I was on the donating side of the fence I'd be annoyed.

To me, the idea that I'll finally get to try out the game that I wanted to play after so many years is enough. A few more months isn't going to hurt anyone. My only concern would be unofficial torrents. Also will the torrent be larger than the CD-R version? I seem to remember it being stated that a few things were scaled down to fit.

20. Juganawt

Juganawt Rapidly Rising Member

I don't mind if the torrent gets released shortly after the game is in our hands. It's going to be "out there" eventually, so to me, the amount of time taken between official and torrent versions is merely semantics. After all, people have been waiting nearly 14 years to play it, so why would another week or month delay make a difference? Personally, I'd prefer the torrent to be released TODAY, so I can actually play the game now while waiting for my repro copy to arrive through international post.