Timing for the torrent

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by sof, Aug 13, 2012.

1. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Okay guys, I'm not out to argue with anyone... but... (and there's always a but!) Let's check back here in five years and see how much these discs are worth. I (seriously) struggle to believe that they won't budge in price... Anyone can burn a cdr but it isn't that easy (as we've seen) to press a cd, as Assembler has done. The release looks almost legit, except it isn't on a gdrom - but that's about the only difference.

2. Juste

Juste Fiery Member

+1

But also I find it wrong for members to defend this reproduction and yet try to stop/jump on others here.

In ASSEMbler's video I cannot see any indication that points out/let's people know this game is a reproduction whatsoever. This is something that upset many members here in the other thread. So why not now? Why is this game different? A reproduction is a reproduction, be it of an unreleased game or not. ASSEMbler even describes the game as a full retail copy, which is just flat out wrong.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    LeGIt likes this.
  3. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

The mods said once this is out they will host it on that site ASAP. I was asked to dump my copy and I said hell to the nah. Wait your turn turds!! They don't see it as a new game to it is fair game. But this might stop Kevin from releasing anymore games as he had to do all this work so he and he alone should decide when the public gets it so it doesn't turn out to be another propeller arena. I have gotten so many PM's from that site asking me to dump Gun Lord, heck even DC4you.ru was selling a torrent download of Gun Lord. I told the NG-Dev team and the site has been down since. They wanted to charge for "rare" dreamcast releases they didn't even make but leeched form scener's and wanted us to pay. Anyhow I took a snapshop of the page and Gun Lord being in the list of the 99,9% complete Euro set. They aren't even direct downloads and selling a torrent file of something you don't own to gain "VIP" access is stupid and what is wrong with lamers.

I don't plan on allowing Geist Force until Kevin gives the ok on UG since I am the torrent moderator.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

It's such a grey area isn't it..... On the one hand, I'm happy that people want to play the Dreamcast in 2012 and word gets around how super this machine was - I guess getting torrents of the past releases is the quickest and easiest way to do this, I have a friend who 99% of his Dreamcast games are CD-Rs, where as I have 300 odd released games for mine, but at least we can share stories of the games no matter how they are played, on the other hand however, I would say downloading any of the independent releases is wrong, I want more games to come out for the Dreamcast and as DC fans I feel it's our duty almost to pay for the games, Geist Force I put in this category too really; maybe we'll get other unreleased games coming our way if this has gone as smooth as Assembler & co wanted - maybe not, who knows? But more games coming out is better than no games coming out and if we have to pay £40-50 here or there it isn't too much to ask I reckon.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. chanchai

chanchai Rising Member

Who cares if it's short or if it isn't a masterpiece. Game wouldn't been canceled if it was top notch. Who developed this game? Team Andromeda(Panzer Dragoon) would have been the best choice!
    Fact is, Geistforce was one of the most hyped games during the launch window! Like rev Limit on N64 it's incredible seeing this game coming out, never though the game finished development. It seemed all those clips and images where only early build up...

6. spycal

spycal Newly Registered

Hello,
    Ok but to resume the situation, the game seems to be short but how ? We know the Dreamcast will overheat but how many Levels are playable, only one ?
    What is which is precisely the status of the game today ?

7. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Revois ton anglais cher ami, on ne comprend pas tout ;p

I don't think you are on topic, but for overheating you'll need to wait for the release in order to get return of experience.

8. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

I don't get how donators can feel personally attacked when people ask for a torrent. You get a packaged retail-like game, is that nothing?? I didn't donate because I didn't feel like this was going anywhere, I was wrong and now I'm on the waiting list. I'd like to see a public torrent although I wouldn't even download it. I'm just waiting for a spare copy to put it in my collection and play a few rounds.

I just don't see how longer exclusiveness represents a benefit to some people. I couldn't care less about who torrents the stuff that I pay for. It's not like a downloaded file will ever be equal to an actual product. Seems more like the good old "this is my game, you mustn't use it" type of game to me.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Being the "link" between the hacker and this forum, I can even tell you he was offered a free copy for his contribution but declined as he only wanted to help.

IMO people shouldn't release it out of respect for what has been decided, but if the fact that a freeloader plays the game "earlier" than expected ruins your fun, you've got a twisted definition of fun.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  10. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

I don't care if they get it at the same time just I don't want to go over what Kevin had planned for this release as I don't want a "leak" to prevent anymore of these style games to be released.

11. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

I hope no one leaks it for at least a month =P ! I will support any games that get released on here provided they intrest me ,have the hardware to play it and if i have the funds =P

12. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

This project was always intended to be released in a stages. Even though it is a community release, it is to be treated similar to an actual release. Donors have every right to have first crack at it. Ignore the financial stakes that have been waged... The donors should be the first because they are the dedicated fans that are always there. They were there in a timely manner to acquire the disc, and have been patiently waiting for over 18 months now. I can think of no better group to spark a buzz about an upcoming release. The intent was always to share the torrent with the internet. The assemblergames forum would be the original host, and well... it would be scattered to the winds from there. The difference in times isn't long... only a matter of weeks. Too long, and some jerk gets tempted to sell burned copies or just torrent the thing for "scene cred".

Also, I should mention that this forum holds a certain amount of respect. A former developer entrusted us with this unreleased rarity. How we handle this will continue to grow our reputation as a community, and increase our chances at such an opportunity happening again in the future.

Thank you for reading my post. If you made it this far, I'll reward you with a "Geist" clip from the US "Official Dreamcast Magazine" Issue 1 (p49).
    [​IMG]

bumping with a few more clips, this time from Gamers' Republic magazine, July and August 1998 issues.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  13. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Torrent goes up in 14 days. Can't people wait? I need to wait for people to get their copies, the deserve the short courtesy period.

Are we in such a race for meaningless internet release fame? No one remembers ANYONE who released any
    of the games on dreamcast. To people who download, it's just a method to get to the prize, some meaningless asciiart and
    some nicknames that mean nothing "thanks to ProDOOZZ".

We're all dreamcast fans.

Let's have the common decency to let the people who paid to get the disc have their games arrive!

They should all be there in a short period of time.

As to the value of the disc, it was never meant to be an investment, it was meant to be a reward.
    However in time, when they no longer make cdr drives or media, the ones with the pressed discs
    will be the only ones playing on a real dreamcast. There might me drive emulation by then but what
    fun is that? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2012
  14. Pyongyang

Pyongyang Rising Member

What's the odds it appears on eBay by the end of the year at a jacked up 'RARE! L@@K!' price? :mad-new:

15. sabre470

Very high I guess, someone might even get it graded by VGA$ :stupid:?

16. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

this is the internet of course people can't wait :livid: everyone is used to getting stuff super early now, not like the old days of ordering games from Japan and waiting a week or two for them to arrive then people actually gathering at someones house to get a first glimpse of a new game, now you can follow the development of most games online and know exactly when you will get the game delivered through your door, now when people dont have these details they start to panic

personally im all for it being torrent'd out to people but obviously only when the people involved are ready for it to go, i dont agree with keeping it back but i do respect their wishes

17. sabre470

Good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue ;)

18. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Mine goes straight to VGA! Then it'll be a 91% Sealed Unreleased Geist Force LIMITED 200 COPIES worldwide RARE!!!! Buy it now for $9,999. :D

19. _SD_

_SD_ Resolute Member

Only two weeks until the torrent is released? I would have expected it would have been held back longer, I haven't even received my discs yet. I'd leave it until after Xmas personally...

20. sabre470

Ahah only $9,999!!! Doesn't sound like a VGA deal ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012