Time to mod the ol' PS2! (installing a mod chip)

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by FireAza, Jul 20, 2012.

1. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I want to play import PS1 and PS2 games. I've looked into soft modding, but it doesn't give me the functionality I desire (ability to play PS1 and PS2 games from any region using the original disks, that's all I want), so it looks like I need to install a mod chip. I thought I'd run my thoughts past you guys!

I'm thinking the Modbo 4.0, this seems to be a popular one, and from what I've read, it has the region-related features I want. Would this be a good choice?

As to installing it, my PS2 is a PAL (Australian) SCPH-50002, from what I've read, it has a V9 motherboard, so is this the diagram I should be following?
    [​IMG]
    It says "USA" on the diagram, so is installation different for my PAL console? Also, I see there's some alternative solder locations for the wires that are normally soldered to the legs. This sounds appealing to me, since soldering to the legs sounds really fiddly, and there seems like there would be a strong likelihood of accidental bridging, but is there a downside to soldering to the alternative locations?

There were a few things I was wondering:
    1) Apparently modchips can burn out the laser, is there anything I can do to prevent this (something about a "diode fix"?)?
    2) Will NTSC games automatically run at 60Hz and PAL at 50Hz?
    3) When the mod chip loads up an import PS1 game, it's using the console's PS1 hardware, just like a stock PS2 right? It's not emulating the game?
    4) Does a modded console function essentially the same as a stock console? I can just pop the game in and it loads up, nothing more required?
    5) Some guides mentioned scratching lacquer off the points you're soldering to. Would this only be necessary if you can't get the solder to stick to where it should, or is this the case with all PS2s?
    6) How badly can one screw this up? It doesn't seem massively complicated to me, but in case I accidentally create a short or solder to the wrong point or something, does my console die the moment I switch it on, so is it possible to go back and correct the problem without issue?

Thanks!

V9-usa.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

2) Will NTSC games automatically run at 60Hz and PAL at 50Hz?

Color format switches along with Hz also, unlike other consoles. Standard PS2s support the same in-game video modes and cables worldwide*. It does not associate them with either console or game region. Instead all instances of a specific disk, default into the same mode on all PS2s. Barring mods/patches/etc to force otherwise.

*Yes one CAN do wasteful things like import and chip an american ps2 then use rgb scart with only PAL 576i 50hz games!

Correct me if any of this is wrong.

3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Actually, softmod does allow multi-region, and besides also there are boot discs. But if you're confident in the modchip process you'll be fine.
    Also worse come to the worse Lum, you can patch the video modes but I guess that defeats the purpose of using original discs :/

APE, or Bad will have the right answers for you later I'm sure :D

4. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I know you can use swap disks, but I want something that performs like a stock PS2. Swapping disks all the time would get annoying very quickly. As to confidence, it appears to be nothing more than soldering wires to different solder points, which I have done a number of times before (though not on this small of a scale)

5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I think PS1 original imports are mainly where modchips are still viewed as ideal for swap-free.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

PS2 games won't require to swap discs, but PS1 games I doubt you can at all... Not sure I'm not upto date on the PS2 scene. All I know I can boot any region game through my PS2 that's a DVD with a softmod. Worse come to worse though, just create backups of your games and patch them.

7. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Modern modchips automate the region check. Direct tray loading of retail or burned PS1/PS2 games, whether they're US/JP/PAL.

Video patches are for users without a multi-format TV.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Modchips also do video patching on the fly.

9. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

True, I haven't needed to use it much. My chipped PS2's setup has been OK with PAL. (currently own few PAL games anyway)

10. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

What softmod are you talking about? I know with Free MC Boot, it won't play pressed retail disks according to the guys on the psx-scene.com forums.

That's the functionality I'm after. And yes, I have a TV that supports many formats :D

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

12. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

3) It uses the PS2 hardware to play the PS1 games.

13. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You'll need an APP to boot other region pressed discs (DVDs, not PS1 games) which would be "ESR".

14. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Yeah, the mod chip store I was looking at said they stock v1.93 instead of v1.99, so you've confirmed there is indeed something wrong with v1.99 :p

The reason the PS2's laser die is because Sony hooked up the wrong voltage? Or is this a way of preventing the overheating that modchips cause by making the laser run at a slower speed? And wouldn't this slow down the loading times?

What I meant was, does it use the PS2's hardware-based backwards compatibility (the PS2 also has the PS1's processor in it doesn't it?)

The guys at psx-scene.com say ESR only works with copied, patched games, though? :\

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Sony booby trapped their lasers is the simple version.

Its not going to run slower, do not worry.

16. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Well played Sony, well played...

Thanks for the heads up Bad_Ad!

17. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

Yes, that's what I meant to say. It uses the PS2 backwards compatibility (as you said, through the PS1 processor it has). No emulation is performed by the modchip.

18. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

Why not go the hard drive route and Flip Top? No Mod Chip needed.

19. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well modchip is complementary to that. It has uses to hard drive owners. PS1 games, no disc swap to install imports/backups (if you use the slow PS2 drive for that).

20. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Looks like the Modbo3.0 installation is more difficult than the 4.0. Don't recall the v9 requiring soldering to the legs of that IC.