Timber The Tiger N64 (Rareware game)

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by JamesMichael, Jun 5, 2010.

1. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Details on this game are far from next to none. Apparently was meant to be a game based around Timber the Tiger from Diddy Kong Racing. Information on the game was located in an old N64 magazine that used to run in the UK (I believe its the same one that had contacts with Rare studios at the time and they used to get exclusive stories and shots on their up coming games) I remember reading that Timber was set to have his own game that would use the engine Twelve Tails was going to use. After Conker was decided to be changed to a more adult based game Nintendo demanded that a game would be still released similar to Twelve Tails so Rare set to release Timber the Tiger.

Unfortunately thats all the details I remember from the magazine and I've yet been able to locate it because I have 100s of magazines that have been collected over the years. There was defiantly screenshots and it was featured more than once I believe. I'm shocked that no information on this is available on the net which has led me to believe maybe it got canned as fast as it started. Or maybe it didn't exist at all? Any information people might have would be helpful.

2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm sure magazines mentioned it, but I don't know how you can be so sure there were ever screenshots or it was ever featured. I'm pretty sure no info of it was ever shown, they probably never even got around to making it beyond concepts or something

3. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

There was never such a title in development to my knowledge.

It made some "sense" to assume that Bumper, Pipsy, Timber etc would make appearances in their own games, much like Conker and Banjo (the redneck bear), but you need to realize that RARE had already too many projects on their hands (development was really slow back in the days) and they already had a hard time trying to diversify Banjo from Conker (eventually making Conker's Bad Fur Day).

Timber the Tiger is most probably just a rumour or wishful thinking at best. This is the first time I hear of it ever being in development but I confess of having hoped for it during my n64 days.

4. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

I heard about it but I've never seen a screenshot.
    So if you can found it and upload on the internet that would be appreciated :)

5. JamesMichael

Well I was discussing this with my mate yesterday and he remembers seeing a screenshot as well and what he remembers was similar to what I do of Timber in a grassy field. It could have been concept but its something I guess. I would look for the magazine but theres 100s to go through it wouldn't be something I'll get straight round to unfortunately.

My friend did a little research online and he found a post on the Nuts and Bolts forum about it so looks like more people remember hearing something about it.

http://forums.banjo-kazooie.com/forums/thread/6090.aspx

6. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Eh eh I know that it take time to go through dozens of mags.
    If you are really sure that the info is located in the N64 magazine then you need to search at most around 40 issue ( around a 3 years span should be enough; 1997,1998,1999 ).
    Also the only part you would be interested are the news/preview/feature ones, not the entire mag.

7. JamesMichael

That would make sense but unfortunately all the magazines are messed up so I would have to go through a large percent of them to find the correct issue and here we had three different magazines. I'll get round to it at some point though really interested to finding more information about this.

8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Actually this does ring a bell

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  9. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

tell me more.

Gotcha.
    I thought you were talking specifically about the british mag called "N64 Magazine".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I remember seeing info about this in my old electronic games magazine.

11. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

you mean the american "electronic games magazine" ?
    That mag run in the eighties and briefly in 1994.
    Maybe EGM ?

http://mundorare.com/news/2009/05/rare-denies-blast-corps-2-and-jet-force-gemini-2-yet-again/

Mmmh with more than one person that seems to remember it, I still have faith.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  12. JamesMichael

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers this.

Interesting. I still believe theres still some truth to it existing. If it didn't surely it wouldn't have kept coming up in magazines? And I'm still sure I saw a picture or maybe more of the game. I just wish I could find it :banghead:

13. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

depends on how you define "existing".

I m sure it has been discussed but it was never announced or acknowledged to be in development by Rare in any publication or expo - Rare's stuff always got top class attention,this sort of thing would have been widely known.

14. jonest20

jonest20 Active Member

I remember reading about this game on the internet wayyyy back in the dialup days

15. Rodrigo

Rodrigo Spirited Member

I was playing Diddy Kong Racing DS the other day. It seems a lot more "adventure-esque" game than the original, and Timber the Tiger seems to be more "important" on the game.

Maybe they have reused ideas, etc.

16. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

I definitely remember seeing a screenshot of this in a Nintendo Power when i was younger, cant recall which issue however, sorry :(

17. JamesMichael

At least I've not completely imagined this then! Hopefully I'll be able to find the issue mines in over the summer

18. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

Unlikely IMO.
    If it was in a NP issue then people would surely notice it cause the mag is readily available on the net.

Good luck James for your little research, I'm counting on you ;-)

EDIT:
    Don't know if it can help you but I asked at a kind fellow at OoP if he have ever seen something about Timber on the N64 Magazine mags he got.
    After a search through the news section of every issues available to him , he found nothing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  19. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Its times like these that i wish my mom hadnt thrown out all my old NP's years ago, so i could hunt the issue down and scan it. Not unlikely at all, even if it was just a mockup pic i DEFINITELY remember seeing a pic in NP.

20. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I had a subscription to Nintendo power for awhile and definitely don't remember ever seeing a screenshot of this. I really think everyone's remembering wrong :p
    If it's true though... http://www.retromags.com/forums/files/category/1-nintendo-power/

Could be in one of these somewhere. Not a complete selection but a start.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010